Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-22-2019, 02:16 PM   #55
jowii

Drives: 2017 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
Did this thread say where it was made?
France
jowii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:20 PM   #56
jowii

I am having a weird fuel gauge issue.

I was at half a tank.
I filled it until it the pump clicked and shutoff. It was 3 gallons. But once I started the car, it also read just below F...
1 mile down the road, it dropped to 1/8th of a tank below full on the gauge.

As I understand, this tank is 11.1 gallons. Even from half a tank to where it is sitting now would be a little over 4 gallons.

It's a little confusing. Hoping it's just a simple sensor issue and not point at something more serious.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:37 PM   #57
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
normal, due to the digital nature of the gauge it can appear to read slightly high right after a almost but not full fill up, only to then drop a bar on the gauge shortly after.

What wasn't normal was the pump shutting off before you were actually full. This happens sometimes are various pumps depending on various things especially full fill rate. I have had this happen to me a few times but I know it should take more so I keep filling it and it eventually shuts off when it should.

Just be careful doing this on a new to you car where you're unfamiliar with the tank capacity and its characteristics. if you overfill a tank it can damage the charcoal canister and lead to the premature stopping every time you try and fill the car with fuel.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:21 PM   #58
jowii

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
normal, due to the digital nature of the gauge it can appear to read slightly high right after a almost but not full fill up, only to then drop a bar on the gauge shortly after.

What wasn't normal was the pump shutting off before you were actually full. This happens sometimes are various pumps depending on various things especially full fill rate. I have had this happen to me a few times but I know it should take more so I keep filling it and it eventually shuts off when it should.

Just be careful doing this on a new to you car where you're unfamiliar with the tank capacity and its characteristics. if you overfill a tank it can damage the charcoal canister and lead to the premature stopping every time you try and fill the car with fuel.
Yeah who knows if someone who had the car previously overfilled the tank, which had crossed my mind. One mechanic told me in those cases, that the check engine light will come on if it's something serious.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:26 PM   #59
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowii View Post
One mechanic told me in those cases, that the check engine light will come on if it's something serious.
not necessarily, and in my experience as well as others on this forum who had this issue in different cars, a CEL did not illuminate.

You would know if this was damaged from a previous user. You would have the pump constantly shutting off if you try to even come close to filling it at full force. You may also smell gasoline vapors when the tank is full. (this happens on my Vibe, but it still allows me to fill it fully without shutting off the pump)
Old 01-22-2019, 04:03 PM   #60
jowii

Quote:
not necessarily, and in my experience as well as others on this forum who had this issue in different cars, a CEL did not illuminate.

You would know if this was damaged from a previous user. You would have the pump constantly shutting off if you try to even come close to filling it at full force. You may also smell gasoline vapors when the tank is full. (this happens on my Vibe, but it still allows me to fill it fully without shutting off the pump)
It does have a 'lightly rough' idle occasionally, which I guess can be a symptom of something going on with the vapor cannister... But I had figured it might have just been the cold.

I can also see the RPM a little low sometimes when at a stop light. Feels smooth around 1k RPM, but when it drops lower than that, there can be a bit of a lightly pulsating vibration.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:15 PM   #61
tmontague

^also normal for a small 4 banger with a low idle like the yaris has. The car is likely a good purchase. Less worrying and more driving/enjoying, it's more fun that way!
Old 01-22-2019, 04:20 PM   #62
jowii

Quote:
^also normal for a small 4 banger with a low idle like the yaris has. The car is likely a good purchase. Less worrying and more driving/enjoying, it's more fun that way!
Oh for sure! Thanks!
Old 01-22-2019, 04:55 PM   #63
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Have you actually bought it, or still on your extended test drive?

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2019, 05:03 PM   #64
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
Quote:
Did this thread say where it was made?
No but any US sold Yaris after 2014 is made in France by default.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:13 PM   #65
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
No but any US sold Yaris after 2014 is made in France by default.
Post#55

Old 01-22-2019, 06:16 PM   #66
jowii

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Have you actually bought it, or still on your extended test drive?

Haven't bought yet because of the long process. Toyota couldn't find anything wrong, but admitted that what is happening with the fuel gauge is very odd and had no explanation for it Suggested I bring it back again to have them check by fueling it.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:34 PM   #67
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Post#55

Damn, my stupid computer didn't show any post after that question hahaha.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:59 PM   #68
jowii

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowii View Post
Haven't bought yet because of the long process. Toyota couldn't find anything wrong, but admitted that what is happening with the fuel gauge is very odd and had no explanation for it Suggested I bring it back again to have them check by fueling it.
Wait a sec...

So the pump cutting off before full and then dropping down quickly to what is 7/8 a tank after filling up from from 1/2 tank is one thing, but what it dropped down to might actually represent about 3 gallons?...considering if there is a gallon or so left after reaching empty on the gauge.

For reference, this is what I saw at the gas pump earlier...
It then pretty quickly dropped to 7/8.
Attached Images

Last edited by jowii; 01-22-2019 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:58 AM   #69
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
I see a near full gauge and a half full gauge. What is 7/8? What were time and conditions between fill up and needle drop? Did it do this right after key was turned on?

If there is a fuel gauge problem, I'd consider demanding fixed or a price drop on this French built rental...or just walk away. (There's also a thread mention somewhere here of bad timing chains on French Yarii.)
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:50 AM   #70
jowii

Quote:
I see a near full gauge and a half full gauge. What is 7/8? What were time and conditions between fill up and needle drop? Did it do this right after key was turned on?

If there is a fuel gauge problem, I'd consider demanding fixed or a price drop on this French built rental...or just walk away. (There's also a thread mention somewhere here of bad timing chains on French Yarii.)
It was about a mile or two down the road that it dropped to that first line. They won't adjust the price, I've tried based on some other stuff. It does have a few hundred miles left on the comprehensive warranty. Toyota looked at it and said everything was functioning as it should, but to bring it back with half a tank so they can look into it further. And they said they had it noted, so if there is anything wrong past the warranty time, they could honor it.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:51 AM   #71
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Yaris fuel gauge level pump shut off

Sorry that I can't understand the math and descriptions and photos of this fuel gauge problem. If the gauge just dropped from F to a little bit below F driving off, then I don't see any problem. If it stopped filling at 15/16 to "F" and dropped to 7/8 a mile down the road, I also wouldn't worry or dribble in more on the next fills to push the needle above 15/16.
Slope of the fill-up location makes some difference in fill amount and level sensing too.

Last edited by dogsridewith; 01-23-2019 at 11:07 AM.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:24 AM   #72
tmontague

^agreed, even a mild slope has a lot to do with it