Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-13-2019, 07:13 PM   #1
27meri
I've made a post!

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Known '08 problems?

Hi all -
I'm a hopeful Yaris owner, still trying to find one to buy! Never had one before, but all the research I've done/accounts I've heard make it seem like the perfect car for me. My last car, a '94 Carolla, has 170k miles and I believe it is built to last much, much longer. Never had a single issue with it, it just won't die! However, the interior looks like it is disintegrating with age, and more troubling - the clearcoat on the exterior is almost completely stripped and the paint underneath is oxidizing and fading off as well. Makes it look like an absolute mess, and is ultimately the reason I'm considering a new car!

So I come to my problem at hand - I've only got a limited budget, and it seems like in our area the only Yaris's I can find (because I have my heart set on this car now!) are from 2007 or 2008. I've got my eye on one that is an '08 jade colored sedan, only problem is I've read the '08 models have been known to have issues other years aren't subject to - and particularly with their clearcoats/paint jobs peeling off!

The pics of the car look like it's in perfect condition, and I don't see indication that this has started to happen. The one I'm considering has about 111k miles on it.

I guess my question is, how often is this issue actually likely to happen? Is it predominantly with one color of paint vs. the others? Once the clearcoat starts peeling, is there a known way of fixing it cheaply or is it an expensive fix? Even more importantly, are there other issues with this year just as likely/more likely to happen, such as with any other parts of the car exploding and leaving me in a fiery car wreck?? Unlikely, I know, but I guess there are some things more important than the paint job so I thought I'd ask...

Sorry I'm sure this question has been asked about continuously on this forum and I'm just a noob! Thanks!
27meri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:08 PM   #2
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
I have an '09 meteorite metallic, and I have no paint issues whatsoever. Not the same year or color as you're asking about, though.

Once the clearcoat starts peeling, the only real fix is to have the panel(s) refinished. Whether it's cheap or expensive depends on the quality of the job you want. Do you want "good enough," or do you want a perfect job? If you're looking for "good enough," I'm sure you could find a body shop that will do an okay job for a few hundred dollars. If you want a perfect job, you will pay big bucks, and I mean really big bucks, which is something that I presume you wouldn't be able to afford on your limited budget.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:22 PM   #3
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I have an '08 no paint issues but I also ceramic coat it.

If the car had clear coat issues it would have showed up by now. That's the benefit of buying used
Old 04-09-2019, 06:40 PM   #4
zimmer

Drives: 2011 Yaris Sedan
Heard a couple of issues about paint on '08 before but they are isolated issues.
zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote