Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-29-2019, 09:16 AM   #1
College3.0

Drives: 2009 Yaris Jolt
On the cusp of acquiring my 2nd Yaris

My first Yaris was sold on the cheap to a friend's 16 year old who needed a car. I've been driving a Kia Soul for the past year, and all I thought about the whole time was missing my Yaris.

So, I've located this one at a nearby dealership. Cosmetically it's a bit of a fixer-upper, but nothing major and in good mechanical condition. Also, I discovered on my test drive that this little red thing has a hitch installed. I was really jazzed to see it, as I move bicycles around.

I'm waiting to hear back from the dealership today about finalizing the details.

So excited to be "downgrading" back to something that's actually fun to drive.

2008 w/ 155k miles
Attached Images

College3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 03:02 PM   #2
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Drives: Hatchbacks
Looks great, you’re going to love it! The red color really pops.

I just bought my fourth one last week. Similar to you, I have sold my previous ones to students who’ve needed reliable transportation for college.

Enjoy!
bradbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:25 PM   #3
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
love the 2 door model
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:33 PM   #4
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Congrats! Looks a lot cleaner than my 08, lol
Old 07-02-2019, 07:40 AM   #5
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
That is a nice little car. I like the red too. Though, I prefer 4-doors.

Check out this little gem I found fairly close to me. The asking price is a little on the high side but could probably be had for less. Check out the mileage... (26000). Given the appearance, I suspect it wasn't winter driven, which can be a killer for these cars in our area. It's likely has been rustproofed, given the plastic plugs in the door jambs. It's also the first I've seen with the bodyside mouldings. Hopefully whomever buys it doesn't suffer the blue paint peeling clearcoat phenomenon.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...ationFlag=true

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:05 AM   #6
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post

Check out this little gem I found fairly close to me. The asking price is a little on the high side but could probably be had for less. Check out the mileage... (26000). Given the appearance, I suspect it wasn't winter driven, which can be a killer for these cars in our area. It's likely has been rustproofed, given the plastic plugs in the door jambs. It's also the first I've seen with the bodyside mouldings. Hopefully whomever buys it doesn't suffer the blue paint peeling clearcoat phenomenon.

Wow, that brings back memories. I remember when my car was that clean.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:44 AM   #7
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Super clean but the ad said manual, so I was sad to see the pic showing it's actually an auto.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:56 AM   #8
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Super clean but the ad said manual, so I was sad to see the pic showing it's actually an auto.
Haha. I, on the other hand, was glad to see it is an auto. Not that it makes any difference as I won't be buying it. I did find a 2008 hatchback for $800.00 that failed MVI due to supposed frame rust and in need of brakes. The body looks pristine otherwise.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 03:08 PM   #9
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Haha. I, on the other hand, was glad to see it is an auto. Not that it makes any difference as I won't be buying it. I did find a 2008 hatchback for $800.00 that failed MVI due to supposed frame rust and in need of brakes. The body looks pristine otherwise.
That snow is a killer

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:38 AM   #10
scylla

Drives: 2015 Yaris L
I really do like the older grill type than my 2015 front grill redesign. Much cleaner look.
scylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:41 AM   #11
College3.0

Hey everyone.

I did drive it, and it is in fact a manual. A little rough in places, some cracks in the plastic and possibly a little mechanical work that needs to be done. Needs a thorough steam clean. But I know this car would be a good purchase.

The problem I'm running into is that no bank wants to finance a 2008 model car (or, not for very much), due to increased risk of mechanical failure with increasing age. So the bank doesn't care if it's a Yaris that's going to run another 100k miles. And I don't have a lot of cash on hand.

Also, my current car is upside down on the loan. So that's also been an obstacle.... I bought a newer, more expensive car that I didn't really want.

I've test ridden so many cars over the last year. And although my current car is, in fact, a nice ride..... I think the only thing I really want is another Yaris. My old one was a 2009 2dr hatchback in Yellow, and I just miss it a lot.

It feels like the most selfish and juvenile thing in the world for me to be 35 years old and complain that my very nice, modern vehicle is "not fun enough".
I'm very torn about what to do here. The dealers look at me like I'm a nutjob to want to get rid of a nice new car for something like little red here. I was told it was on the lot for 88 days with little interest. (But who ever knows if those dealer guys tell the truth?)

This might end up being the one that got away, but I'm still mulling it over and trying to figure it out.

Jessica

Last edited by College3.0; 07-03-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:23 AM   #12
nortonfb

Drives: 2007
Ask the dealer about financing and being upside down.
Have them be very specific(in writing about financing charges).
Next check out a credit union for a loan, usually more liberal than a bank.
Shop the internet for loan interest rates, most lending institution's will match rates.
nortonfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:49 PM   #13
College3.0

I decided to put my Kia for sale by owner. Already have a test drive lined up this weekend. I can get as much as I need for the Kia loan if I sell to a private party.

Also, I saw a yellow Yaris for sale at an "Auto Auction" place in Chicago. What's the story behind this place, is it a place that sells to dealers, but also sells to the public? The photos looked like a really clean car, but there was no description included with the vehicle, just a suspiciously low price of $1700.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:39 AM   #14
College3.0

My potential buyers are test-driving my Kia today, and I went to test-drive the Yaris a second time yesterday.

I'm hoping to get an ordinary signature lone from my credit union if a more conventional used car loan won't finance the whole kit and caboodle.

I won't cry if this one gets away, I drove a very nice Honda Fit which will probably be my 2nd choice if this one doesn't work out. But I feel pretty strongly about it after two rides. For now, just sitting on my hands a bit longer.....
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2019, 06:55 AM   #15
College3.0

Quote:

Check out this little gem I found fairly close to me. The asking price is a little on the high side but could probably be had for less. Check out the mileage... (26000)......

Oh man! I'd jump on that so fast, but Canada is a little far for me! Someone's going to get a real prize on that one.

I would have taken a 4 door also if one was around to be had. Just the sedan type. In general I'm not crazy about sedans, Yaris or otherwise.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:51 PM   #16
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Drives: Hatchbacks
Quote:
Originally Posted by College3.0 View Post
Also, I saw a yellow Yaris for sale at an "Auto Auction" place in Chicago. What's the story behind this place, is it a place that sells to dealers, but also sells to the public? The photos looked like a really clean car, but there was no description included with the vehicle, just a suspiciously low price of $1700.
Many auction cars that I've seen were salvaged cars that were then rebuilt and thus have the Rebuilt Title. Be sure it does not have a Salvage or Rebuilt title.

Sometimes used car dealerships (and CL ads) will lie. I have seen many, many people lying about if their car has a clean title. You can use a free online VIN checker to make sure.
bradbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:30 PM   #17
College3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbowl View Post
Many auction cars that I've seen were salvaged cars that were then rebuilt and thus have the Rebuilt Title. Be sure it does not have a Salvage or Rebuilt title.

Sometimes used car dealerships (and CL ads) will lie. I have seen many, many people lying about if their car has a clean title. You can use a free online VIN checker to make sure.
Thank you! I've been to so many car dealerships (trying different things) over the past couple of years..... even big name-brand places, where they just unashamedly lie to you face. Even when the lies are completely obvious. You'd think I'd be used to it by now, but it still blows me away.

I did email the auction house with the yellow, and never heard back. So, not a good sign.

The red one shown above is at a Toyota dealership, and the used car salesman was very polite and respectful to me. I'm trying to work him down on the price a little, and hock some things for a down payment while I'm waiting for the Kia to sell. If it gets away, it gets away. But that Kia's got to go before I buy anything else.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:59 AM   #18
mondbennet

Drives: 2010 Yaris Hatchback
Neat-looking car you got there.
mondbennet is offline   Reply With Quote