Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-30-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
Marker bulb pain

I was curious if anyone with a sedan or hatch has ever changed any other lights in the headlight assembly other then the headlight ie....side marker bulb , turn signal?

My parking light or (side marker bulb) is out and the manual says to take it the dealer and I cant seem to get to the bulb with my hand. Does anyone know an easier way then ripping the front end off to get to these?

Also is the headlight as easy to take out as it looks? It looks like you just pop the clip off and its two phillips head screws holding it in.

Thanks for the help.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:44 AM   #2
slvryaris

Come on guys and gals. No one has changed out a side marker bulb yet????
Old 07-01-2009, 01:55 AM   #3
computerlove87
The Fit is NO!

Drives: '09 3DR "S"|'87 Caddy Brougham
Send a message via MSN to computerlove87
I haven't done it yet, but I have heard that you pretty much have to take the front end off, unless you can find someone with really skinny arms who can reach under and down to get the bulb, or if you can somehow attain Mr.Incredible stretching powers. I can't vouch for sedan, but in my LB, it seems like I can get it off if I lay under my car and reach up, but I haven't REALLY tried hard yet b/c I haven't had to change anything yet.

Please ignore the Ferrari
computerlove87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:57 AM   #4
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
I have replaced all my bulb's and yes it is easier to remove head light
unless you have small hands
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:23 AM   #5
slvryaris

I wonder if you could access it by taking the wheel off and getting to it from the wheel well. I had to do all that when i had my AEM intake. It might be easier that way...Thoughts..
Old 07-01-2009, 02:30 AM   #6
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Sorry if your talking about the one one the side guards , then yes
take the wheel off and peel back the inner plastic guard .
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:49 AM   #7
slvryaris

Ya that sounds like a better plan then ripping the front end off. Thanks for the input:)
Old 07-01-2009, 03:31 AM   #8
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Well, when I painted my housing, I noticed that the way it is set up is that the turn signals are put in in an upward direction, so it's either you take out the front bumper and headlights to put in a new bulb, or you hope that you don't touch the new bulb on something if you're just going through the wheel well.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:39 AM   #9
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Angry

Oh, I'm upset about this one. This is just bad design, like the old V8 Chevy Monza that was supposed to have the engine unbolted from the motor mounts and jacked up to remove the left rear spark plug. I thought Toyota was better than this.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:40 AM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Taking the front bumper off to get the headlights off is really not as painful as it sounds. It's actually less work than taking the OEM skid plate off of my Xterra to do an oil change...
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:27 AM   #11
slvryaris

With the sedan its easy to get to the headlights and in the service manual ( thanks Thomas :) it shows the graphic of the turn signal being mounted up and the side marker just on the side. I called my local Toyota dealership and they said "Oh I am looking at one right now and it doesnt look that hard to get to"...yeah right I think hes full of it
Old 07-01-2009, 12:59 PM   #12
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Angry

I just went out and looked on my sedan. I don't think the headlight bulbs would be too hard to change. I can't see the marker light sockets, but I can push my index and middle fingers around the back of them. It MIGHT be possible to turn the socket with those fingers, extract the bulb and socket and fish it up where it could be changed, then blindly poke it back in and turn it. It would be quite awkward and difficult. There is sheet metal about 2 1/2 inches directly behind the marker light socket, and I see no alternative way to approach it. The headlight assembly needs to come out as they said. Some Toyota designer needs to do the honorable thing and commit suicide. This is gross incompetence and a disgrace.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:35 PM   #13
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
.......Also is the headlight as easy to take out as it looks? It looks like you just pop the clip off and its two phillips head screws holding it in.......
No I'm amost positive you do not take the wire "clip" off via the screews. I believe you simpley compress the ends of the clip to free it an swing it away.

Headlights secured by a wire clip is a common feature with Toyotas and it is never removed as far as I know.

BTW, My Celica use a somewhat simular wire clip on the headlights but it is very difficult to secure and many Celica owners have been heard loudly cursing out Toyota the first time they changed them.

The Yaris seems like a simpler clip sys that would be much easier to secure.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:08 PM   #14
zenjen
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 white Yaris LB
I know this post is old, but it came up in search.

The clip holding my Yaris' fender/side marker light broke off. I just disconnected the assembly for now so it doesn't flop around. It's just an opening in my fender right now.

My question is: Is there any place that sells the stock replacement OTHER than the dealer?

Base 2007 LB

{edit}
HA! Nevermind. I found a number on the unit, Googled it, and there it is. Gosh, I feel so stupid. Sorry.

Last edited by zenjen; 09-08-2011 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Found info too late
zenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:44 PM   #15
bankrobber

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
my parking light bulb went out 2 years ago but since you cant really tell with headlights on I never replaced. I dont understand why it does not have a colored lense. I get told all the time I have a head light out when sitting with the parking lights on only. Parking lights should be Amber color not just a smaller head light type bulb
bankrobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:01 PM   #16
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bankrobber View Post
my parking light bulb went out 2 years ago but since you cant really tell with headlights on I never replaced. I dont understand why it does not have a colored lense. I get told all the time I have a head light out when sitting with the parking lights on only. Parking lights should be Amber color not just a smaller head light type bulb
That's ony a 50 cent bulb that takes 30 seconds to replace.

Also, most (front) parking lights are clear. You must be thinking about signal or "marker" lights.
Many states have laws basically banning anything but "white" light up front (on passenger cars/trucks) except for dedicated fog lights.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote