Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-01-2009, 11:27 PM   #1
bear4

Drives: 2007 yaris
Oil consumption

Hi,

We recently bought a used 2007 Yaris sedan which is overall a great car. However, on our first long highway trip from Florida to Canada (20hrs non-stop driving over 70MPH and then back - 2800 miles total) I noticed that the oil level dropped about 1/4''. We had this car for 5 months and it did not use any oil at all in normal city driving - I already went through 2 oil changes. So this oil level drop got me a little alarmed - is this normal for a Yaris? Does anybody experience the same driving at high speeds for extended periods of time? It has 72,000 miles on it.

Thank you!
bear4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:05 AM   #2
Yawesh

Drives: 08 sedan at
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear4 View Post
Hi,

We recently bought a used 2007 Yaris sedan which is overall a great car. However, on our first long highway trip from Florida to Canada (20hrs non-stop driving over 70MPH and then back - 2800 miles total) I noticed that the oil level dropped about 1/4''. We had this car for 5 months and it did not use any oil at all in normal city driving - I already went through 2 oil changes. So this oil level drop got me a little alarmed - is this normal for a Yaris? Does anybody experience the same driving at high speeds for extended periods of time? It has 72,000 miles on it.

Thank you!
if you look at the manual, it says it will burn oil - especially a new engine - it should burn 1 quart(i believe)during 600 miles, but if it burns more than that, than seek help
Yawesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:50 AM   #3
floydisrock
73 Centurion droptop 455

Drives: 2009 S Sedan
Some oils seem to disappear from the crank case more than others.
I might try a different brand of oil.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:01 AM   #4
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
My previous car would consume oil with constant high speed driving and not with just city driving. It had over 80,000 miles. I think it is normal as engine wear.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:04 AM   #5
indyfora
Banned

Drives: Yaris
Wow. Mine is nowhere near that. Personally I would take it in to the dealer. one quart every 600 miles?? That would mean that in less than a month, all of your oil would be gone. Are you sure about that?
indyfora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:17 AM   #6
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
As your oil darkens and ages, it'll eventually start to burn. If you check the oil and it's jet black, then you can bet you've burned way too much so it'll drain less than the full 4-quarts on the change. That means you gotta change your oil right away, otherwise your pistons will seize-up and you'll be out shopping for a new engine real soon.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote