Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-17-2007, 12:38 AM   #19
Edd

Drives: None
The noise you here is the clanking of teeth touching in a straight cut gear. It often sounds like a buzzing (I actually like the noise). If it's inconsistant or overly loud, you may want it checked.
Your forward gears are helical, this ensures quiet operation and the gear cannot come off sideways, making it more stable. They are engaged from the side with dog toothed syncronisers.
Helical Gear:

Straight Gear:

As you can see, there is the potential for a lot more free play in the straight cut gear.

EDIT: Sorry about the large picture sizes, I linked straight from the net and didn't resize. It makes it easier to see the difference though.
Edd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 04:48 PM   #20
jdium
Mr Attitude

Drives: Blazing Blue 5 Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by dngz View Post
I think this topic was brought up a long time ago. Not sure about the autos but my manual does make a "eeeeeerrrrhhhhh" sound when I back up really fast. People say it's normal and I havent had any problems with it. I have heard other cars with the same sound too so I really dont think it's such a big deal...
Back up really fast? Practicing for stunt drivers school eh?

Reverse gears in manual transmissions have traditionally been straight cut gears. Straight cut gears whine when engaged. Same noise as the V-8's make when they replace their timing belts with gears...
jdium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:11 PM   #21
barryware

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I have an automatic. In reverse, there is something rattling. The exact same noise was apparent when I went with a buddy to a dealer as he likes my Yaris so much, he is going to buy one. On the test drive, EXACT same noise.

In drive, the engine wants to tilt to the rear. In reverse, the engine wants to tilt to the front. When in reverse, there is something touching the engine or trans when it tilts.

We have it narrowed down a bit but to go farther, I have to figure out how to back up while the neighbor is underneath the car holding on to something. I thought I could give him a couple of beers and talk him into duct taping a skateboard to his back and let him look for the rattle while I drive back-wards down the street.

I won't tell him it is the trans cable till after I get the skateboard attached.

I bet the cable bracket/mount is not loose. I bet it needs a small adjustment (bend it). I have had my noise since I have had the car and it seems odd that a car still at the dealer would also have the noise.
barryware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 02:17 PM   #22
sandiegan

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch
I went to the dealer, and he said he found the TSB for the rattling in reverse (the car is my fiancee's automatic). He was not a very nice guy though -- I don't go to dealers for service, and I will continue that trend. He made snide remarks about how I bought my Toyota somewhere else (I bought it at Longo, I now live in Temecula, so I brought my car to Temecula Valley Toyota for the TSB service). They had to special order a new clamp, so now I have to wait...
sandiegan is offline   Reply With Quote