Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-30-2007, 07:38 PM   #1
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Foot Rest Anyone?

I'm visiting Montreal and stopped by the Toyota store here.

There was a base model Yaris and a 5dr RS on the showroom floor. I noticed that both had footrests.

My US Yaris doesn't have a footrest! And, I've missed having one since I bought the car.

Anybody else wish they had a footrest? It would certainly save a little wear and tear on the carpet.

Anyway, I think I'll see if one can be purchased from the dealer here. I don't suppose it would be difficult to install.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 07:53 PM   #2
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
They had footrests?! I know for a fact that the 2006 hatches don't have footrests or deadpedals. Interesting....!
Old 06-30-2007, 08:53 PM   #3
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
My 07 Hatch doesn't have one and doesn't need one since the floor is elevated to act as a footrest.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 11:20 PM   #4
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

My carpet is already wearing thin in the deadpedal spot.

I know that echo_hrs made himself a footrest with some rubber flooring.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:32 PM   #5
smokinyaris

Drives: bad boy
interesting
smokinyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:23 AM   #6
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pars View Post
My 07 Hatch doesn't have one and doesn't need one since the floor is elevated to act as a footrest.
x2
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 02:11 AM   #7
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
I could understand people with Yaris LB automatics....but for the majority of us who have manual, like myself.....isnt our left foot playing w/ the clutch half the time in heavy traffic??

I find it obsolete if you've got anything manual to have footrest pedal.

Just go buy some wood from Home Depot and fabricate one with rubber molded onto it~
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 03:32 AM   #8
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
I can't even fit my left foot next to the clutch, so I have to put it on the floor in front

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 05:10 AM   #9
Adriaan
In between cities

Drives: 2006 yaris ce
hey kimona54, which leadership in montreal did you go to that had the yaris with the foot rest. I'm check it out and see if it something than can be ordered.
Adriaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 10:40 AM   #10
gaffo

Drives: integra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
I could understand people with Yaris LB automatics....but for the majority of us who have manual, like myself.....isnt our left foot playing w/ the clutch half the time in heavy traffic??

I find it obsolete if you've got anything manual to have footrest pedal.

Just go buy some wood from Home Depot and fabricate one with rubber molded onto it~
Drove a TR-7 5speed manual and used its deadpedel when ever my foot was not shifting - 90-percent of the time in otherwords. in traffic or on the highway.

for manual trans deadpedal is vital to foot confort and safety. simply resting your foot in front of the clutch pedal is unsafe - it take longer to move your foot/leg up to the clutch from in front of it compared to from a deadpedal to the clutch.

deadpedals exist for a reason - safety.
gaffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:50 PM   #11
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
my foot doesn't fit there either, just kinda my toes
Old 07-01-2007, 12:51 PM   #12
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

My foot fits in there fine... and I wear a size 12. Its also a great place to brace yourself when you're going around tight corners!
Old 07-01-2007, 12:55 PM   #13
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Zaius View Post
My foot fits in there fine... and I wear a size 12. Its also a great place to brace yourself when you're going around tight corners!

I wear a 13, foot doesn't feel right in that area, is it meant to be a foot rest in this car?
Old 07-02-2007, 07:16 PM   #14
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffo View Post
simply resting your foot in front of the clutch pedal is unsafe - it take longer to move your foot/leg up to the clutch from in front of it compared to from a deadpedal to the clutch.

deadpedals exist for a reason - safety.
Then people need to be a little more aware and less wandering there minds off onto cell phone conversations and whatnot.
I drive 34 miles to college and another 34 miles back to home in heavy stop n go traffic on the freeway. My foots fine, its not falling asleep nor have I had a delay when a car suddenly stops or traffic is slowing down and then increasing in speed.....

Its a matter of the driver and how responsive they are and alert. Not the way the car's been designed~

P.S. yes resting your foot on the clutch pedal just simply wears it down, i agree thats bad.

Last edited by Kioshi; 07-02-2007 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:14 PM   #15
Edd

Drives: None
I see what you're saying, but a dead pedal is nice. Remember that you adjust your seat so that you can press the clutch in comfortably with your leg still slightly bent (if not, that's how it SHOULD be). Therefore, having someplace to rest your left foot at pedal depth is most comfortable and easiest to get back on the clutch.
Edd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:05 PM   #16
Pars

I'm on the clutch all day. Last Friday, I did 16hrs of driving, 2/5 of in city traffic and I don't have any problems with the Yaris's lack of a dead pedal. The raised floor works just as well as my last car (which did have a dead pedal).

A better thing to harp on would be the pathetic UV protection for the front windshield, especially when you've got a huge expense of black surface directly under the windshield that's absorbing too much on the sun's ray.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:20 PM   #17
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Right on Pars. The only problem i run into is when resting my left foot onthe floor backed away from the pedals is.....this weird pain near my ankles, but thats only because of my steel toed shoes for my job. Other than its pretty comfy.

I see what your saying Edd. A straighter leg resting is healthier than a leg thats in a bent position =P

I'm sure everyone can fabricate one, just the matter of finding out which kind of glue/epoxy will stay on the flooring better during warm conditions.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:12 PM   #18
Pars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
Right on Pars. The only problem i run into is when resting my left foot onthe floor backed away from the pedals is.....this weird pain near my ankles, but thats only because of my steel toed shoes for my job. Other than its pretty comfy.

I see what your saying Edd. A straighter leg resting is healthier than a leg thats in a bent position =P

I'm sure everyone can fabricate one, just the matter of finding out which kind of glue/epoxy will stay on the flooring better during warm conditions.
Yep. The seating position in the Yaris is very upright (which I think is excellent since I'm able to utilize an amazing amount of space in a very small footprint), but there's a down side. Your leg isn't stretched out, which is a more restful position and the stretched-out position does take pressure off the ankle. However, I've found whether stretched out or not, left ankle isn't effected (the right ankle is a different story). I usually have the left foot resting on the floor and when it's time to clutch, it's the knee that's feeling the strain.