Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-19-2009, 10:29 AM   #55
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by businezguy View Post
Thanks for the information, Roxy. There are times when I get stuck in a jam and really do have to slow and and speed up for as much as 10 miles of my 62 mile commute to work (this rarely happens on the way home).

I still have a feeling that the manual transmission will be the better choice for me. Thanks for all of the information you've provided, it's been a lot of help.
If you can live with the MT, it's definitely the better choice based on initial cost alone. In Canada AT is a 1000$ option. Just don't be deterred from getting the AT based on FE fears for the kind of driving you do. The most important thing is to get what you want. It's much easier to deal with a choice you made versus one made for you, imo.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:56 AM   #56
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo22 View Post
If you can live with the MT, it's definitely the better choice based on initial cost alone. In Canada AT is a 1000$ option. Just don't be deterred from getting the AT based on FE fears for the kind of driving you do. The most important thing is to get what you want. It's much easier to deal with a choice you made versus one made for you, imo.
I like this advice.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:16 PM   #57
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo22 View Post
Just don't be deterred from getting the AT based on FE fears for the kind of driving you do. The most important thing is to get what you want. It's much easier to deal with a choice you made versus one made for you, imo.
i completely agree with this.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:44 PM   #58
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
in all honesty you should be comparing the yaris to the accent or even the kia spectra5 or rio5, not the elantra.
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:56 PM   #59
twowheels

Drives: '09 Meteorite Metallic 3 dr MT
Quote:
I'm wondering what I can expect by setting the cruise control to 55 MPH and leaving it at that. I really hope I can get well over 45 MPG by doing that.
I think it depends on a lot of factors, one of which seems to be the state...

I drive a long, flat, rural road a few times per week, out and back, about 200 miles R/T, w/ the cruise control set at 55 MPH. I find that I can hit 45 MPG but it's not the norm, any small factor against you will make the mileage drop to about 42. This is in CA which tends to require more additives to the fuel which hurt mileage. A few months ago I went on vacation out of state, had lots of stuff in the car, an additional person, and wasn't driving like granny (doing 75/80) and managed 45 for a few tanks...

EDIT: Oh, and as for the Elantra... I had an '03 Elantra GT hatch that I purchased new. It was totaled w/ 20k miles on it, but I absolutely LOVED it... they've done a major redesign since then so you can't compare them, but it was my favorite car I've ever owned, and I've owned far too many! That said, I really enjoy the Yaris and the only reason that it's not as good as the Elantra is the lack of moonroof, leather seats, tweeters, etc which all came standard in the Elantra for less money {back then}.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:31 PM   #60
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Some of my points after reading through the thread...

- As many have pointed out, the Elantra competes with the Corolla, not Yaris regardless of price. Although for shopping purposes based on price, the argument can be made for a cross-shop. Point is, the Elantra, as is traditional with Hyundai, is a very good value and cheaper than direct competitors. Just like the Accent can be typically had for less than the Yaris.

- businezguy, since you want the power package, it does bring down the "value" factor of the Yaris and puts it at a price point that makes it overlap with fancier cars such as the Elantra. The Yaris is the best value in base form (or convenience package only) for around $13-$14K. That said, I wouldn't call a $16K Yaris overpriced, but an $18K one is (power pack, S-pack w/ alloys, ect..)

- As for the debate about which gets better highway mileage, MT or auto, well it's pretty close either way and is negligible. Fact is, the EPA tested both and rates the MT at 36 and the auto at 35 mpg. Maybe the auto revs slightly lower, but the MT makes the car lighter and less complex.

- businezguy, do you run into a lot of stop and go during your long commutes? If so, opt for the auto. It may save your sanity.

- Also, I know you want the sedan, but the liftback has more storage compartments for all the needs you listed. And there's now 4-doors available if that's your need. That said, I prefer the sedan too.

Good luck with your purchase!
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:43 PM   #61
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
- Also, I know you want the sedan, but the liftback has more storage compartments for all the needs you listed.
For stashing small objects, packing pistols and such, the liftback's got an edge. For carrying larger things like guitars, amps, rifles, equipment boxes, anything that needs to be kept out of sight, the sedan's the only way to go. Occasionally the liftback might have an edge with a tall, square box that would go in the back with the seat down and wouldn't shut in the trunk of a sedan, but on the whole they just don't have the hauling capacity of the sedan. Most of the time you don't need to fold down the sedan's seats and give up passenger space to carry stuff. It's got a good sized trunk.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:12 PM   #62
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
I am not that tall....5-10, and I hit my head when I tired to get in the sedan. I don't have that problem in the hatchback....so I bought one.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:06 PM   #63
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

I'm 6'3". Learned to duck.
I do wish the ceiling were a little higher, as on the liftback and the old Yaris.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:47 AM   #64
businezguy

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris
Thanks for all of the additional advice. I'll most likely be making my decision and purchase TODAY! I'm thinking the auto transmission will be best for me for the convenience. I'd likely get somewhat better gas mileage from manual, but I doubt it would be that much of a difference based on the type of commute I have. No doubt with the type of commute I have, I have very high expectations on gas mileage, and expect 45 MPG or higher at the very least.

That's if I choose to go with a Yaris over a Corolla, Focus, or Elantra...we shall see...stay tuned kids. By the way, the Cash for Clunkers bill that was passed gives me no benefit, my trade in doesn't qualify for it anyway.
businezguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:14 AM   #65
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Thanks for all of the additional advice. I'll most likely be making my decision and purchase TODAY! I'm thinking the auto transmission will be best for me for the convenience. I'd likely get somewhat better gas mileage from manual, but I doubt it would be that much of a difference based on the type of commute I have. No doubt with the type of commute I have, I have very high expectations on gas mileage, and expect 45 MPG or higher at the very least.
Nice. Just keep in mine that 45 mpg is no cinch to accomplish regularly unless you are really willing to keep it around 55 mph as you stated earlier. 55 is hard to do especially when everyone else is whipping by at 75-85 mph.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:26 AM   #66
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
With the A/T, my personal best is a paltry 32MPG after 1 year of ownership.....

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:06 AM   #67
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

32.4 is my personal low, from the first fillup. I suspect the dealer might not have filled it completely. Also, I'd driven it hard chasing my speedy preacher back to his house the evening I took it home. You must be a pretty heavy footed driver!

I've never seen 45, though. That'll take work.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:30 AM   #68
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Where I live, merging means flooring and praying.
Move, or get the heck outta the way......;.
I love punching the the gas at either 20 or or 50 and feeling the tranny kick down and actually feeling some POWER!!!!!

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:38 AM   #69
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
- Also, I know you want the sedan, but the liftback has more storage compartments for all the needs you listed. And there's now 4-doors available if that's your need. That said, I prefer the sedan too.

Good luck with your purchase!
I opted for the sedan as the lift back may have more useable storage space with the rear seats folded forward but add the wife and two kids and the sedan has a full trunk whereas the liftback has virtually no storage space .
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:39 AM   #70
businezguy

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I opted for the sedan as the lift back may have more useable storage space with the rear seats folded forward but add the wife and two kids and the sedan has a full trunk whereas the liftback has virtually no storage space .
I completely agree. That's why I decided to go with the sedan as well. The 5-door was very tempting, I must say. That is a pretty nice looking car, and I do love all of the extra storage in the front of the vehicle. Now that I have my sedan, I am confident it will have enough storage to meet my needs.
businezguy is offline   Reply With Quote