Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-03-2009, 11:19 AM   #145
otterhere

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3-door Meteorite
There's room for lobotomized Pollyannas AND born critics in this world; we all play a role.

Ever heard of "Devil's Advocate"?
otterhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:50 AM   #146
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
There's room for lobotomized Pollyannas AND born critics in this world; we all play a role.

ever heard of the want ads?
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:01 PM   #147
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Otter - the thing you fail to understand is that I bougfht the car because I liked it. I'm sorry, but that is the case - and I STILL like it. Is it perfect? nope! But it's a sh!t-load better than anything else out there for my purposes.
You bought the car because .... Well, I haven't been able to figure that out. Obviously, neither have you. Can I suggest a Honda Fit, and maybe another forum? Please?
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:07 PM   #148
SIPNGAS
I LOVE my Yaris!

Drives: 2007 Polar White LB
Send a message via MSN to SIPNGAS Send a message via Yahoo to SIPNGAS
Quote:

Born critic? This is extreme! Just because someone doesn't continuosly whine and b!tch and complain mean they're a Pollyanna.

Do you have a significant other? How about kids? Good luck with either one because from what I can tell, there isn't a thing or anybody that will make you happy and the constant criticism will make one lonely Advocate. Of course, you will always have yourself to listen to...but sooner or later, that will be it. Good luck with that.

Lisa
aka SIPNGAS
SIPNGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:19 PM   #149
otterhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIPNGAS View Post
Born critic? This is extreme! Just because someone doesn't continuosly whine and b!tch and complain mean they're a Pollyanna.

Do you have a significant other? How about kids? Good luck with either one because from what I can tell, there isn't a thing or anybody that will make you happy and the constant criticism will make one lonely Advocate. Of course, you will always have yourself to listen to...but sooner or later, that will be it. Good luck with that.

Thanks for the free psychoanalysis! Does your SO ever get tired of that?

Sail, I bought it because - exactly as you said - it's a boatload better than anything else out there, but that's just a sad commentary on the small-car market in this country today. There have been better small cars in the past and, hopefully (if anyone heeds my suggestions), there will be in the future.

To be honest, the dealership didn't have a hatch, so I test-drove a sedan. Turns out it was "different." Then I switched from wanting an '09 (which I test-drove) to finding and settling for an '08 in the next state over. So, no, I guess technically I didn't test-drive the '08 Yaris before buying it, but assumed it was much the same car. That may account for some of the dissastisfaction (with the seat fabric, at least), and yes, that's my own fault.

But, again (I keep saying this), I think Toyota could do better... And will...

Note: when you are negative about "negatives," that makes you POSITIVE!

Old 03-03-2009, 02:08 PM   #150
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:

Sail, I bought it because - exactly as you said - it's a boatload better than anything else out there, but that's just a sad commentary on the small-car market in this country today. There have been better small cars in the past and, hopefully (if anyone heeds my suggestions), there will be in the future.

To be honest, the dealership didn't have a hatch, so I test-drove a sedan. Turns out it was "different." Then I switched from wanting an '09 (which I test-drove) to finding and settling for an '08 in the next state over. So, no, I guess technically I didn't test-drive the '08 Yaris before buying it, but assumed it was much the same car. That may account for some of the dissastisfaction (with the seat fabric, at least), and yes, that's my own fault.

Well, that's the problem right there, I think. You gotta test drive the car you're going to buy OR be ready to be real flexible with what you get.

After a couple of months, you should be used to the shortcomings of the Yaris, no? I don't know, the car is growing on me.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:03 AM   #151
Yar Is Word

Drives: Yaris 5 door liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by churp View Post
Word came down Friday 32 hours...I can live with that. Just about every factory around here has done this, after they laid off to the bare bones.
Why so many cars???? Why not? Maybe ask Jay Leno.
Thank you for your response. Hope things will get better.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/jjj/
Yar Is Word is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:28 AM   #152
otterhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
Well, that's the problem right there, I think. You gotta test drive the car you're going to buy OR be ready to be real flexible with what you get.

After a couple of months, you should be used to the shortcomings of the Yaris, no? I don't know, the car is growing on me.

Just surpised a 2008 hatch could be/feel so different from a 2009 sedan; what's up with that? But yes, I confess, I didn't test-drive the ACTUAL car I ended up with... : (

I don't hate it as much as I used to, it's true... After one weekend overnight trip (six hours on the road tota), I actually got a little warm-and-fuzzy twinge for it... But it passed when I tried to put my sunshield back in the car and fit it under the front passenger seat like I did in the Swift; nope, it wasn't going in there... Not without a lot of maneuvering... I was peeved...

First warm, sunny day, I'm going out in the driveway with my owners manual and really getting to know my car; will secure that rear seatbelt and get rid of that stupid hatch shelf that just gets in the way and outfit it with the paperboxes and canvas grocery bags I've read about on this forum and lay the backseat down for my kayak and bike and try to learn to love the Yaris.

Wish me luck...

Old 03-05-2009, 12:07 PM   #153
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Just surpised a 2008 hatch could be/feel so different from a 2009 sedan; what's up with that? But yes, I confess, I didn't test-drive the ACTUAL car I ended up with... : (
You know, I test-drove 2 different Yarii LB, MT, one 2008 and mine, the 2007, and they handled slightly differently, so yeah, I can imagine a Sedan would feel way different at handling, It has to!

Quote:
First warm, sunny day, I'm going out in the driveway with my owners manual and really getting to know my car; will secure that rear seatbelt and get rid of that stupid hatch shelf that just gets in the way and outfit it with the paperboxes and canvas grocery bags I've read about on this forum and lay the backseat down for my kayak and bike and try to learn to love the Yaris.

Wish me luck...

Good luck, then! You don't have to love it, just get comfortable in it and forget about the polka dots!

I intend to do the same thing this WE, since it'll be the first sunny day since I drove the car back from the dealership. I think I'm going to go out in the country and see how she likes it, and also do a more thorough visual inspection of the inside, check out all these compartments people are revving about!!

You'll get used to the car. You know, every time I see a CRX drive up the street, I get pangs of regrets because I truly loved the car and had it for a long time. But it was her time to go, RIP and I know it, no matter how much I loved the car.

The only thing I am thinking of doing to the Yaris is possibly put in a SSK to make shifting smoother. I'm still reading the threads about that, though, so haven't decided yet if it's worth the money or if I'll just suck it up and learn how to drive the car as is instead.

tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:24 PM   #154
otterhere

I've gotta "learn to love it" 'cause I'll take too big a hit otherwise, and I'm too cheap for that... ; / But there are still many days I wish I'd just kept my Suzuki Swift going until manufacturers get wise and come out with more choices in the subcompact category...

Okay; from now on, THINKING POSITIVE! : D
Old 03-05-2009, 12:31 PM   #155
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Quote:
I've gotta "learn to love it" 'cause I'll take too big a hit otherwise, and I'm too cheap for that... ; / But there are still many days I wish I'd just kept my Suzuki Swift going until manufacturers get wise and come out with more choices in the subcompact category...

Okay; from now on, THINKING POSITIVE! : D

KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:20 PM   #156
gaffo

Drives: integra
Quote:

I have to agree, the current state of American offerings of small cars is pathetic. No choices, no models.

1st off truely small cars ("A" segment) are not offered at all!, and very few "B" segment cars (MINI (too overpriced), and Yaris).

FIT and VERSA are not "B" cars - they may call themselves such but they are both alot longer in length than the Yaris.

and sadly in conclusion - truely "fun cars" - those with stiff suspensions, tight non-powered stearing, and stick simply no longer exist in this country. People have lost the concept of driving for fun and unlike 20 yr or more ago, there just is no desire from the buying american public for buying a car that is fun to drive.

- that is why there is no modern equivalents to the Bugeye Sprite or MGs or VW Beetles anymore.

Americans used to have a joy for driving - but it was "marketed out" by the bean counters drumming the SUV and the endless "safety mantra" - and the sheople bought into it.

Europeans still have a love for driving, that is why the new Fiat 500 ("A" Segment car), Ford KA ("A" segment car), Toyota IQ ("A segment car), Chatent Speedino (mini-car), and France and Itally offer microcars that are smaller than small! - like the perfor mentioned Speedino, and a whole class of fun cars.

http://www.qdoscars.co.uk/chatenex.htm

http://www.qdoscars.co.uk/m72.htm

http://www.automobiles-ligier.com/

etc..........

just boring cars here in america ;-/. Yaris is just the least boring of the boring in my book. (former Triumph driver - so I should know).
gaffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:19 PM   #157
otterhere

"...and sadly in conclusion - truely "fun cars" - those with stiff suspensions, tight non-powered stearing, and stick simply no longer exist in this country."

Sad, but true; they stopped making the Suzuki Swift hatchback in 2001...

Old 03-21-2009, 03:15 PM   #158
freeridelectric

Drives: Electric Yaris 05 Silverado,01
Quote:
55 mpg? Sure you don't mean mph??? That's just hard to believe... Why would they advertise it at 36 hwy (or whatever was on the window sticker; I forget) if it routinely gets 40 or better (55 is quite a leap; that's as good as the Smart car in Europe)? I managed 34 mpg last fill-up; my best yet...

Have any of you checked your odometers at a official hwy check point? I checked mine and it was found to be over .3 miles off after 5 miles. When I traveled 5 miles the odometer read over 5.3 miles. This could be because of the electric conversion but I was wondering if anyone else checked their speedo/odometer for accuracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gid View Post
was until the recent recall . . Now gotta worry about the help screwing up or damaging something when / if taken in for fix . .
Well I guess I don't have to worry about the exhaust part of this recall as it was removed in the conversion. That leaves the seat belt part of this recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandall View Post
The only thing I can say is how disappointed in the RS package I got, other then a couple things it's not worth the money really. If there was some type of engine upgrade with the RS/S model then it would be worth the increase in price.

*sigh* Scion can't come to Canada soon enough.
I was thinking about the s version of Yaris, with this review of it I am glad I did not order it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffo View Post
mini has a 1.6 (not mentioning the Turbo which takes a small mileage toll) instead of a 1.5 and it weights 2600 lbs instead of 2300 lbs.

If the Yaris has a hard time getting 40 mpg, there is no way in hell that the MINI-S will average 40 mpg.

Stock MINIs get 32 average - that turbo is probably more like 31 or so in the REAL WORLD mileage.

- its all about wieght and engine size (a balance of the two also). simple really.

- can't have a HUGE engine in a small car and expect great mileage - nor can you have a heavy car with a dinky engine (the american car make solution to fuel effiency!!) - either combo equals poor mileage.

good mileage = BOTH light body and small engine. there is no other magical solution.
Corvette their is no substitute. Close to 30 mpg on the hwy with cruise on at 55 mph.

Quote:
Aygo is not comming. there was talk about offer the IQ but with gas so cheap I have my doubts that we will even see it.

I've wanted a micrcoar since the days of the MG midget, but Americans are so safety phobic and fat today no car maker has the balls to offer a truely small are here in the States. ;-(. Yaris was the smallest car I could buy and it is bigger than I like my cars..
Too fat? LOL Ain't it the truth though. I run into people that are scared to drive a car as small as the Yaris. I think they are and were suseptable to SUV advertisement sufficiently brain washed by Detroit.

Quote:
Gaffo, glad you solved all the aggravating problems with the (mostly interior) design of the Yaris, the "too-high" ride, etc., but should you really have to do all this work on a brand new car to make it acceptable?
Any lower and it would be like you are climbing out of a Corvette. The front end would scrape as you entered driveways unless you took it at a angle. My Yaris only has 5" clearance now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdallah380 View Post
im very happy with my yaris... very cute car. great gas mileage. stock speakers are great exceot gets really annyoyin when the door rumbles n makes that awful weird noise coz of the bass :( .... yaris is fast n can keep up with almost any car on the higway, but the acceleration is killing me, its terrible... anyone facing with acceleration problem?
I like the sound system. Surprizingly good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Small engine + GREAT mileage = Slow off the line.
Fact of life. If you want acceleration, you'll pretty much have to go for something more expensive to run. The way most people drive, though, you'll still beat them off the lights, simply because they don't realise you're racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdallah380 View Post
lol ur right... i cant complain about it... i wont deny about trying to beat the ppl when the lights go green, love kickin butt. hehehehehe
I don't like jerks who think they can blow me off the line so I am a jerk back and mash the accelerator down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by churp View Post
Word came down Friday 32 hours...I can live with that. Just about every factory around here has done this, after they laid off to the bare bones.

Why so many cars???? Why not? Maybe ask Jay Leno.

Yaris is near the top of the list out of all of them. Or maybe I'm just getting old and want something practical and dependable, that does everything I need.
Ah yes for the love of cars.

Quote:
get a STANDARD - that will solve your acceleration issues.

small engine = small car =/= automatic.

offering an automatic for such small cars is just..........dumb.

and if you just have to have it, then expect your power reserve to be alot less!
Yes dumb from a power utilization point but smart in marketing and selling of more Yaris's than if auto trans was not available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIPNGAS View Post
For some reason, I don't think that's a stretch for you. Honestly, I can't imagine living like that...constantly complaining about everything. Is anything/anyone ever good enough? That would drive me and everyone around me UP THE FLIPPING WALL.
I admire some one speaking their mind and not blindly ignoring the short commings of any car. This is Toyota's entry level vehicle and that is that.

Quote:
"...and sadly in conclusion - truely "fun cars" - those with stiff suspensions, tight non-powered stearing, and stick simply no longer exist in this country."

Sad, but true; they stopped making the Suzuki Swift hatchback in 2001...

The wrx from Subaru has these traits. Guess it is not considered a micro car?

-I thought the car could use more insulation from road noise. Though it would make it heavier and I don't want that.

-Steering is very precise.

-Rattles in a few places though it may be from the conversion.

-Seats are comfortable IMO.

I like the idea behinde the car. Inexpensive transportation to own and to drive. I have 3000 miles on mine and I like it. Take care.
freeridelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:42 PM   #159
pirate
I've made a post!

Drives: 07 & 08 Yaris
I love my Yaris. Both of them! My wife has a 2007 sedan, and I have a 2008 sedan. The price was right and the mileage is fantastic. I average 42 mpg, and my wife averages 47mpg. She has gotten as high as 50 mpg (she drives like a girl!)

I really wanted to purchase an American made car, but I couldn't find an attractive and economical one. Apparently, US automakers think Americans only want overpriced inefficient cars. (Go figure they need a bailout...)
Attached Images

pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:23 PM   #160
joelitton

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to joelitton Send a message via Yahoo to joelitton
I've not read this whole thread. But I can say this:
- I used to have a Geo Metro ...I believe it and the Suzuki Swift were really the same car. Loved that car, and routinely got 50 mpg ...but it did not feel safe. The metal was SO thin. Still, it was a fun car...even with no A/C
- traded it in on a Subaru Outback that I had for 10 years. Loved that car too (my sis owns it now)
- I've had my 08 Yaris LB for 15 months and absolutely LOVE it. It looks good, gets good mileage (consistent 40mpg these days), drives great ...I still enjoy every single time I drive it.

So after glancing at some of the posts in here, I feel real lucky that I've had so many years of truly digging whatever car I had at the time. I DID look for a US car that would be comparable ...ended up buying the Yaris because it was the ONLY car that met all of my requirements. And I'm just as happy with it now as the day I picked it up :)
2008 Blazing Blue LB. 5-spd MT, Power Package, side airbags, antilock brakes, rear spoiler, bumper guard, splashguards, power locks/ alarm. Added: Tanabe front strut tower bar, Beatrush aluminum underpanel, NST short shift kit, NST crank pulley, WeatherTech side window deflectors, Wheelskins steering wheel cover and shift boot, dual loud FIAMM horns, 30% tint all around, wheel locks. Yet to install: NST alt and WP pulleys. More to come :)

joelitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:06 AM   #161
mryaris

Drives: 2010 Carmine Red hatchback
Quote:
- that is why there is no modern equivalents to the Bugeye Sprite or MGs or VW Beetles anymore.
I have a '59 Bugeye that was, believe it or not, my daily driver for the past 2 years......until I bought my Yaris last month. It is, without a doubt, the most fun car I have ever owned. It just really sucks in the snow and being in Colorado, you have to contend with snow enough times to make it impractical to really drive it year round.

I also owned a '93 Suzuki Swift GT.....it was an entertaining car and pretty fun to drive too. The suspension was set up to handle corners very well.....it had 4 wheel disc brakes (something I think all cars should have) and a 100 HP twin cam engine that loved to rev. I averaged 38 MPG with that car until the engine died.

I have had my Yaris hatchback for a month now (~1200 miles) and I'm averaging 35 MPG in almost all city-style driving. I have not been able to do any long highway drives yet, but I am fairly confident that it'll get 40MPG on the highway.....as it is, I am very pleased with the mileage I am getting considering the 12 miles of stop and go traffic I contend with every day.

It gets me to and from work reliably, which is what I needed. Not that the Bugeye is unreliable, but it was in the sense that if it snowed then I had no way to get to work. Now that spring is upon us, I will be driving the Bugeye more than the Yaris......I get the same 35 MPG, but in top down style.
mryaris is offline   Reply With Quote