Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-18-2009, 10:31 AM   #19
SIPNGAS
I LOVE my Yaris!

Drives: 2007 Polar White LB
Send a message via MSN to SIPNGAS Send a message via Yahoo to SIPNGAS
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I don't mind the carseat beep for passengers; it's the law here that they MUST use a belt. My groceries, however fragile, don't need a seatbelt.

yes, but the seat belt sensor in the seat goes by weight on that seat...the groceries just happen to be heavy enough to tell it SOMETHING was there..it can't determine if it's a box, groceries or a person.

Lisa
aka SIPNGAS
SIPNGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:40 AM   #20
PreciousPups4U
I really LOVE this car!!!

Drives: 08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Yep, seat belt buzzers goes off when I take the dog anywhere, too. She weighs about 40 pounds. She will not stay in the seat belt though no matter what I do.

FYI - the buzzer will stop after a few minutes, but the light will continue to flash.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

PreciousPups4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:42 AM   #21
SeaYa
Is about to 'SeaYa' later

Drives: 08 MT Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havana View Post
As for pennies, I just drop them on the floor to help lower the center of gravity and improve handling.
Now THAT'S extreme fine tuning. You may need to throw a quarter down for the hairpins though.
SeaYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:49 AM   #22
otterhere

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3-door Meteorite
Obviously I'd use the hatchback for groceries if the hatch were more user-friendly; it's not... I have to fiddle with the stupid lock (don't want people climbing in the back at stoplights so, yes, I keep it locked) for five minutes, and then the "lid" bangs me on the head because I haven't gotten around to removing that yet and finally half the groceries fall out since I haven't gotten around to outfitting it with paper boxes yet, as another owner suggested.

Should it be this much work? No.

I don't need a $100k Lexus; my $6k Suzuki had everything in just the right place.

I am tolerating this vehicle because I'll take a HUGE hit otherwise; plus, it's a Toyota, so I expect at least reliability, and it accomodates my kayak and bike, so I'll reserve the use of the hatch for those items.

But, frankly, I wish I'd just kept the Swift. I'm sure all of you wish that, too.

otterhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:55 AM   #23
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
I repeat, sell it!
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:28 AM   #24
Havana

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3 door M/T
I must admit I am fascinated by this Swift you speak of. It seems to have attained an epic, almost mythical, sense of glory like some kind of immaculately conceived messiah-mobile. No offense. I'm just joking a bit. I guess I've just never owned a car that I felt so strongly about. The only Swift I even remember was the same model as the one featured in the FreeCreditReport commercials in the US.
Havana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:29 AM   #25
Arkhangel

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenacarato View Post
ill take everyones pennies... :)
Yeah me too lol, Every couple of months those "worthless" Pennies pay my gas
God i love this little car
Arkhangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #26
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Two more gripes about the Yaris. Re: the little coin holders. WHY are there just three of them when there are FOUR denominations of coins? Assuming that the reason they're divided is so you can separate quarters from nickles from pennies from dimes, that is. And I had my groceries on the passenger side seat yesterday (having learned the hard way NOT to put my credit card there) when the airbag/seatbelt alarm started beeping at me; I finally had to put the seatbelt OVER my groceries to keep the car quiet. Gripes continue.

I always put a seat belt around my groceries. Learned the hard way one day when I pushed hard on the brakes (I had eggs on top, just let your imagination fill in the blanks ;)

As to the coin holders, I don't use them because in the city, if they see even a quarter hang loose in your car, they'll break the window to get it, so the less stuff in the car, the better.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #27
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
I must admit I am fascinated by this Swift you speak of. It seems to have attained an epic, almost mythical, sense of glory like some kind of immaculately conceived messiah-mobile. No offense. I'm just joking a bit. I guess I've just never owned a car that I felt so strongly about. The only Swift I even remember was the same model as the one featured in the FreeCreditReport commercials in the US.
was that a Swift or a Ford Festiva?

we all know it isn't THIS one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU89JpVmtwk
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:02 PM   #28
Havana

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3 door M/T
This is the one I was thinking of. Looks like an old Swift or maybe a Geo Metro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOYGRCOPBTM
Havana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:05 PM   #29
Tamago

Quote:
This is the one I was thinking of. Looks like an old Swift or maybe a Geo Metro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOYGRCOPBTM
same car, yes you are correct
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:15 PM   #30
SIPNGAS
I LOVE my Yaris!

I guess I'm with those who would encourage you to sell it. It seems NOTHING about the car makes you happy...or..maybe you're happy as long as you're complaining? I dunno.

Lisa
aka SIPNGAS
Old 02-18-2009, 12:19 PM   #31
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIPNGAS View Post
I guess I'm with those who would encourage you to sell it. It seems NOTHING about the car makes you happy...or..maybe you're happy as long as you're complaining? I dunno.
it's her perogative to bitch and complain

and it's ours to LOL @ her ;)
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:22 PM   #32
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
...I am tolerating this vehicle because I'll take a HUGE hit otherwise; plus, it's a Toyota, so I expect at least reliability, and it accomodates my kayak and bike, so I'll reserve the use of the hatch for those items.

But, frankly, I wish I'd just kept the Swift. I'm sure all of you wish that, too.

Are you really that unhappy?
Seriously?
You know, no car is going to be perfect.

I just traded in my old '87 CRX for the Yaris a couple of weeks ago and I still miss my CRX. I'll probably miss it for a long time because it was REALLY fun to drive! Even at its age, the acceleration was way better than the Yaris and I was so used to that CRX, I mean I could practically drive it in my sleep under almost any road condition. The rest of the car was falling apart but the engine was still running strong ...

I selected the Yaris LB to replace the CRX based on several reasons: 1) budget, 2) size of the car (so it can be parked easily in the City), 3) hatchback, 4) Toyota's reliability, 5) easy on gas, 6) manoeuvers great in tight spaces (very important for a city car), and 7) because it was one of the very few cars that I could find with a manual transmission, 8) you gotta admit, the Yaris LB looks cute.

I'm still getting used to the Yaris and I wish some things were different: I would not put the console in the middle of the dashboard, for instance, and I would like the acceleration to be better (it's better in the Fit, if you want to part with more $$$). The Yaris tends to sway a little bit in the back in windy / rainy conditions (I felt that when I crossed the Bay Bridge the other day, it was a little scary, but crossing the bridge with my CRX during high winds/ storm conditions was no picnic either, to be honest, because they're such light cars).

Anyway, what I'm driving at is that, so far, the Yaris has not disappointed me: it was the least expensive car I could find, easy on gas, small, parks easily in small spaces, etc. So I'm putting up with the stuff I don't like. No biggy. For now, the Yaris fits my needs, really. If my needs change so much that the car becomes a problem, then I'll trade in. I don't think I would trade in because the coin holders are in the wrong places, though
Old 02-18-2009, 12:32 PM   #33
SIPNGAS
I LOVE my Yaris!

Quote:

Well..maybe...because then you would have NOTHING to complain about here...but like I said..as long as you're happy...complain on...

Lisa
aka SIPNGAS
Old 02-18-2009, 12:32 PM   #34
otterhere

Granted none of these things are huge problems, and if I wanted to sell it or trade it in (as everyone so helpfully suggests), obviously I'd do that. If that times comes, I will...

But these things "disappoint" me in a Toyota; I've always been a Japanese car fan and only very reluctant ventured into Nissan and Suzuki territory in the past -- not disappointed with either of these, by the way -- because I was so pro-Toyota. So the overall cheap feel and these nagging little imperfections are just a constant irritation.

Like a dripping faucet; you're not going to put the house on the market or even necessarily pay a plumber $100 to come fix it, but it still grates on your nerves.

...drip...drip...drip...
Old 02-18-2009, 12:34 PM   #35
otterhere

And, yes, even though my Swift was getting old and had its problems, I WOULD find myself driving down the road thinking, dang, this is fun to drive... Or dang, this little bullet has pick up... Or dang, I love my hatchback... And dang, this thing sure gets great gas mileage!!! I haven't said that last one YET with the Yaris!!!
Old 02-18-2009, 12:43 PM   #36
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
And, yes, even though my Swift was getting old and had its problems, I WOULD find myself driving down the road thinking, dang, this is fun to drive... Or dang, this little bullet has pick up... Or dang, I love my hatchback... And dang, this thing sure gets great gas mileage!!! I haven't said that last one YET with the Yaris!!!
Have you tried a Toyota Matrix yet? It's a little bigger, but maybe a better car for you.