Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-12-2009, 10:01 PM   #19
rbell

Drives: 2009 Yaris HB
Hyundai has made a great deal of progress since the late 80s early 90s. I just don't think they're there yet. I looked at the sedan before deciding on the hatchback. I thought the sedan was descent. It all depends on how much you want to spend. There is a big difference between a base model and a model with packaged equipment. My Yaris is a base model so I realize its going to ride a little bumpy, it's not going to have a great sound system, and maybe it's going to be a bit noisy. But for what I need it for, it's fine. If ride and style were important to me, I would have looked at a Camry, or even a Volkswagen Jetta.
rbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:24 PM   #20
businezguy

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris
I agree that Hyundai has made a lot of progress, but they have yet to match Toyota. For instance the Elantra is a very solid vehicle, and it's reliability would certainly compete with the Yaris. But the Entourage is an unreliable piece of crap, and the Sonata is behind in reliability standards compared to the Camry and Accord.

I would go for the base model with the roll down windows and the manual transmission, but my wife has some medical issues that would preclude her from driving the car if I didn't go with those options. Also, I will never buy a new car that does not have an aux jack. That simply isn't an option for me.
businezguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 01:03 AM   #21
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by businezguy View Post
I agree that Hyundai has made a lot of progress, but they have yet to match Toyota. For instance the Elantra is a very solid vehicle, and it's reliability would certainly compete with the Yaris. .
we'll see about that, but i doubt it. when i switched from my yaris to the new corolla, i test drove the elantra quite a bit. i actually felt it has a nicer interior than the corolla. but, the corolla was quieter on the road and just felt smoother. epa mileage was higher for the corolla, though i beat those numbers easily anyway. i was disappointed to find alot of elantra drivers getting disappointing mileage. i think hyundai doesnt quite compete with their engines as far as fuel efficiency and overall refinement goes.

my minimum expectation for any car in the class of the corolla/elantra or below is that 40 mpg is easily achieved with mostly highway driving. with the yaris and corolla, this criteria was easily met in real world driving for me.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 05:31 AM   #22
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
You'll be happy you bought the Toyota when it comes to trading it in or selling it some years in the future as the resale value on the Toyota will be double what it would be on the Hyundai.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 09:10 AM   #23
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Comparing a base level Yaris to an Elantra is like apples and oranges.
Seems like Corolla vs. Elantra is more like it.
Perhaps Hyundai has gotten better, but it's still a ...Hyundai!
Resale value drops like a rock.Sorry, but I love telling folks I drive a TOYOTA.
Also, I know three people who had TRanny failures (A/T) , one at under 36k!

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 09:28 AM   #24
businezguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
Comparing a base level Yaris to an Elantra is like apples and oranges.
Seems like Corolla vs. Elantra is more like it.
Perhaps Hyundai has gotten better, but it's still a ...Hyundai!
Resale value drops like a rock.Sorry, but I love telling folks I drive a TOYOTA.
Also, I know three people who had TRanny failures (A/T) , one at under 36k!
The reason I'm comparing the two is because the Elantra comes with $2k in rebates. Currently I was quoted $15,183 for an Elantra compared to $16,520 for a Yaris with everything I want. The Yaris costs $1,400 more then the Elantra!

What I'm getting at is that I'm comparing the two due to the price. I'm finding it hard to justify the extra cost of the Yaris, but I'm still seriously considering it. I'm just disappointed by the higher pricing of the Yaris right now.

If you want me to compare the pricing of the Elantra with the Corolla I think we know where that would go. Ironically, I'm pretty sure I could get a Corolla for a bit more then the quotes I'm getting for the Yaris. It's a frustrating experience right now.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:31 AM   #25
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
i paid less than that on my yaris and i added the paint/interior protection, spoiler, and some other stuff

wait till the last day of the month like 4 hours from closing and then go talk price. the dealers have quotas they need to fill.. play hardball. there are people on the forums paying 12-13k for a brand new yaris
Old 06-13-2009, 09:32 AM   #26
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
bring quotes from out of state dealers too.. you can always tell them "look i could drive two states over and pay $X. But i would rather buy local ..so what are you going to do for me?"
Old 06-13-2009, 11:55 AM   #27
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
i waited til july 4th or 5th, expecting some kind of deal... no such thing with toyota haha.
either way, corolla is much more comparable to an elantra, and the corolla will get awesome gas mileage as well, and much, much better resale (it appeals to new families as well as singles of almost all ages). i still like my yaris though ;D

if you're so uncertain about buying, lease for 2 years, a yaris lease is like 100$/mo or something silly...it's a complete waste of money, but hey if you really like the car you can always pay it off to keep it.
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 01:25 PM   #28
businezguy

For the record, I wouldn't be frustrated if it wasn't for the fact that I loved the Yaris. I love the car, it's just that in the current environment the car is actually costing more then other cars, and is actually appearing to cost almost as much as the Corolla.

I'm really not concerned about resale or trade in value. I will drive the car into the ground. I want to have this car for at least 200k miles, and would love to get 250k to 300k out of it. Even with all I've stated, I'm STILL considering the Yaris.

I think that those who are getting these cars for 12 to 13k are getting less features then I am.

I don't remember if I mentioned this or not and I don't feel like reading everything I wrote, but my wife has MS and she doesn't always have the best motor function as a result. So I need a car with automatic door locks/windows, and an automatic transmission. If it wasn't for that, I'd be considering a manual transmission to save on the price.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with a manual transmission wouldn't I expect even better gas milage?
Old 06-13-2009, 01:34 PM   #29
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
I'm really not concerned about resale or trade in value. I will drive the car into the ground. I want to have this car for at least 200k miles, and would love to get 250k to 300k out of it.
Well you just made a decision on a yaris then. Elantras WILL NOT make it to 200k without rebuilding the entire thing. A yaris will.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 02:41 PM   #30
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
If you think the Yaris is over priced now, just wait until gas prices get a little higher. Unless you can wait until winter (when gas prices will probably go down again along with the demand for cars like the Yaris), I would be making your purchase sooner rather than later.

The Yaris is one of the simplest and easiest to maintain on the road today. IMO you will recoup the extra cost over the Hyundai long term, but the most important thing you can do is get what you want.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 04:07 PM   #31
Goose
Car Geek

Drives: Yaris Liftback
I've owned both manual and auto versions of the Yaris and I don't think there's much mileage difference between the two.

If trade-in value makes no difference (such as driving it into the ground), the Toyota product still wins against the Hyundai. While I'm sure the Hyundai product is solid, Toyota has probably the best proven track record for reliability. Add a huge dealer network compared to Hyundai, and Toyota wins if you would ever need service.

You're right about not being able to get a Yaris sedan with power windows/locks for $13K. It would be interesting to see what price difference there is between a somewhat loaded Yaris sedan and a bare-bones Corolla. Depending on the dealer, it may be a toss-up as to which of these options would be cheaper. If mileage is your top priority, though, the Yaris beats the Corolla.

EDIT: A quick search of Cars.com listings in my area yielded interesting info on the auto+pwr Yaris sedan/basic Corolla price difference. Both examples are advertised at $16,500! If I had to guess, I'll bet the margin is bigger on the Corolla and you might be able to score a better deal. The mileage caveat still applies to the Corolla - the mileage won't be as good.

Actually, if you're willing to drive to central Ohio, this '09 looks like a very good deal: http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true

'07 Blazing Blue 5-speed liftback (sold)
'08 Black auto liftback (sold)
'09 Carmine Red auto 4-door liftback (sold)

Last edited by Goose; 06-13-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 05:44 PM   #32
businezguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
Well you just made a decision on a yaris then. Elantras WILL NOT make it to 200k without rebuilding the entire thing. A yaris will.
That's really a generalization, but for the most part you're right, I'm close to making my decision and strongly favoring the Yaris. I love the car, I love the ride, I love the set up, and most importantly I love the awesome MPG I'll be able to get from this car without the need to dole out extra money for a hybrid.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:25 PM   #33
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with a manual transmission wouldn't I expect even better gas milage?
IMO, you are absolutely correct. back in 07 when i was shopping for my yaris, i made a crude spreadsheet from every forum i could find discussing real world mileage from yaris owners. i tried to compare apples to apples as far as driving conditions with the manual vs the auto. the vast majority (88%) of the highest mileage (identified as non hypermilers based on their posts) drivers were driving manual transmissions.

here is another site comparing a pretty good sampling of drivers of the 2007 yaris (which is identical as far as engine/transmission to the 09 yaris). you will see the manual transmission has an average of 38.8 mpg vs the auto transmission at 34.8 mpg.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calcu...ta&model=Yaris

additionally, id have to say if you can get a corolla for the same price as a yaris, it would be a no brainer to go with the corolla. but, it you really want a hatchback, then the yaris is a no brainer, unless a base model fit appeals to you (which would already be equiped with power windows/locks.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:36 PM   #34
businezguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
IMO, you are absolutely correct. back in 07 when i was shopping for my yaris, i made a crude spreadsheet from every forum i could find discussing real world mileage from yaris owners. i tried to compare apples to apples as far as driving conditions with the manual vs the auto. the vast majority (88%) of the highest mileage (identified as non hypermilers based on their posts) drivers were driving manual transmissions.

here is another site comparing a pretty good sampling of drivers of the 2007 yaris (which is identical as far as engine/transmission to the 09 yaris). you will see the manual transmission has an average of 38.8 mpg vs the auto transmission at 34.8 mpg.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calcu...ta&model=Yaris

additionally, id have to say if you can get a corolla for the same price as a yaris, it would be a no brainer to go with the corolla. but, it you really want a hatchback, then the yaris is a no brainer, unless a base model fit appeals to you (which would already be equiped with power windows/locks.
To put it simply, I don't like the Corolla. It's a boring ride, with a plain interior that is...well, boring. The Yaris has a more basic interior, but somehow the overall experience is a fun/high MPG.

I have to admit it, part of the fun is going to be seeing how high I can get my MPG up to, and to me the Yaris is the most affordable route to do that. Unless I change my mind, once I gather all of the cash I need, I'll be going ahead and purchasing a Yaris. That's pretty much my decision.

Thanks for taking the time to answer all of my prices. I can't wait until I own my new car!
Old 06-14-2009, 01:21 AM   #35
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I certainly could've bought a Corolla (or two.) I wanted a Yaris. (Got two.)
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:45 AM   #36
guzziknight

Drives: 2008 Yaris S
Just out of curiosity, have you thought about buying a used one? there's some good deals to be had.
guzziknight is offline   Reply With Quote