Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-22-2009, 02:40 PM   #19
TwoBearWisconsin

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB/5, 1996 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVitz View Post
No regrets about the car itself-it is perfectly reliable, comfortable, and gets great gas mileage. But, I really, really wanted a smart and couldn't buy one at the time since they were all spoken for unless you ordered one. So I bought the smallest toyota made hoping it would suffice. I still want the smart-darn it. I think I like how anti-car the smart is-it's barely above the usefulness of a motorcycle for transportation. The toyota is definitley more grown up than a smart-it's no street legal go-cart. The Yaris is a real car and a very well made one at a killer price.
Have you taken a smart for a test drive? I'd wanted one, too, ever since I first saw them in Europe. I even had my $99 down on one when they first announced that they'd finally be coming here. I finally got to drive one this summer and decided it is NOT the car for me. "Slow" doesn't begin to describe it, and the transmission and shifting are horrendous. I'm very glad I got my Yaris now instead.
TwoBearWisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:36 PM   #20
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
The smart is less safe, less comfortable, slower, smaller, unproven reliability, marginally better gas mileage, and costs about the same as a yaris. Half the usefulness for all of the price - Oh, but you'll find an extra 1 parking space a month if you live in LA or NY.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #21
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
I've driven smarts a lot locally-everytime a used one pops up I'm in to test drive and my local smart center has let me take one alone several times-just drove one last friday again-but new. I don't mind the transmission over all and kind of like the idea it can be an auto when I want it to be. But the durablity of this transmission and the short warranty has me sitting on the fence watching other owners go through the growing pains of a new model. The car is super quirky and that's what I love about it-I just don't want to be broke down on the side of the road with it because it was not so well made or worse yet out of warranty and looking at a $600 + repair bill. I'll probably still buy one for kicks at some point. Don't get me wrong, the yaris has been a flawless little companion for reliablity and gas mileage-I just get a little bored driving it. Perfection isn't everything-at least to me. I sometimes wonder if the yaris three door was made by someone else instead of Toyota-if that would spice up the character of the car to me?

I just love how the smart is just barely street legal transportation-full of compromises. Some of those compromises spill over to ownership costs I'm finding. Because the smart is its own unique model, it shares nothing with other cars built by it's manufacturer-this means everything is made just for that car-so everything for it cost that much more.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:37 PM   #22
Phaeton

Drives: Blazing Blue Liftback
First let me state that the car does everything it's supposed to do.
The few things I regret about it are the road noise, and that I can't find a comfortable seating position. The steering wheel needs to be about 2 inches closer.
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:34 AM   #23
djct_watt

Drives: 2010 NCP91 5spd
Yes I remember. . . in my xA I was DYING for telescope on the steering wheel.
djct_watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:23 PM   #24
Woody_Woodchuck

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB 5M
Mine does absolutely everything I expect of it. It is a great economic commuter vehicle. No regrets so far.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:46 PM   #25
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
I knew exactly what I was getting for the money. If I wanted all the bells and whistles I would have spent $5,000 to $10,000 on something else.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:50 PM   #26
specialeducator

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemelek View Post
I knew exactly what I was getting for the money. If I wanted all the bells and whistles I would have spent $5,000 to $10,000 on something else.
Exactly why I'm not in a Corolla or Fit
specialeducator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:48 PM   #27
wooverstone8

Drives: 2017 VW Jetta 1.4L Manual
The Yaris sold here in States lacks telescopic adjustable steering wheel. I wonder if it's the same overseas?
wooverstone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:05 PM   #28
Henry G.

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Wish I paid a little more and got the power package, probably would have only added $10 bucks a month to my $227 payment. Lack of cruise control sucks outright but I will do the CT Scott upgrade when I get a chance. Best investment so far was tinted windows so I stopped baking in the sun like a roasted chicken in a supermarket broiler, rear sway bar (big difference), and some decent tires. Seats are pretty crappy, I think if I leaned against the car it would dent, and I hope I never get into an accident but for a cheap azz $12k econo car I think I did good. The wife is scared to drive it but I dont blame her, at 2200 lbs I think a collision with a Schwinn could be life threatening.
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:14 AM   #29
djct_watt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooverstone8 View Post
The Yaris sold here in States lacks telescopic adjustable steering wheel. I wonder if it's the same overseas?
Yeah. . . it's the same here in Thailand.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:17 AM   #30
djct_watt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry G. View Post
Wish I paid a little more and got the power package, probably would have only added $10 bucks a month to my $227 payment. Lack of cruise control sucks outright but I will do the CT Scott upgrade when I get a chance. Best investment so far was tinted windows so I stopped baking in the sun like a roasted chicken in a supermarket broiler, rear sway bar (big difference), and some decent tires. Seats are pretty crappy, I think if I leaned against the car it would dent, and I hope I never get into an accident but for a cheap azz $12k econo car I think I did good. The wife is scared to drive it but I dont blame her, at 2200 lbs I think a collision with a Schwinn could be life threatening.
I also drove an xA (5spd MT) in the USA for a couple years. I don't recall if I had the brake engaged, but I was rear ended by a semi at a stop light at approximately 5-7MPH. All he managed to do was push me about 5 feet. There was no damage, amazingly. I also managed to rear end someone else at a similar speed with no damage too. But who knows for a high speed collision. . .
Old 11-24-2009, 08:31 AM   #31
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by djct_watt View Post
I also drove an xA (5spd MT) in the USA for a couple years. I don't recall if I had the brake engaged, but I was rear ended by a semi at a stop light at approximately 5-7MPH. All he managed to do was push me about 5 feet. There was no damage, amazingly. I also managed to rear end someone else at a similar speed with no damage too. But who knows for a high speed collision. . .
A high speed collision with any car will be highly damaging.

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:59 AM   #32
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
People die in fullsize suv's and pickups and some people walk away from a small car crash. If your number's up and you're not properly restrained in the vehicle the car can do little to save you. I think it's a lottery of fate if you die in a car crash.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:27 AM   #33
djct_watt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilGirl View Post
A high speed collision with any car will be highly damaging.
I should have said higher and not high.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:15 PM   #34
Henry G.

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
My main concern is a front collision, my feet are only about 3 feet from the front bumper.
I saw a head on occur right in front of me once up by Mammoth on hwy 395, 2 guys in a Chevy Sprint (became the Geo Metro). It was like an optical illusion, the guys were pinned in the car (dead) and like 12" in front of them the car ended. Their bodies just disappeared into the car wreckage. Never forgot that.
There's also the physics behind the fact that heavier things that hit lighter things dont slow down as fast as the lighter things, kinetic energy. If a 18 wheeler hit my stopped Yaris he would have whiplash (maybe) and I would be tossed across the intersection. That kind of thing. My diesel P/U weighs 7400 lbs empty, the Yaris around 2300? I know who would win that contest....
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:02 PM   #35
EleKid
Eugenie たでし

Drives: '09 Blazing Blue Liftback
I think my main complaint is the steering wheel. I'm only 5 3 (not TOO short, but short nonetheless) and I literally have to hold out my arms at full length in front of me to drive if I put my hands where they should be. I don't want to move my seat up because it'll be cramped so I just have to deal with it. And my arms get tired quickly, especially since I drive from LA to San Diego all the time.
EleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:48 PM   #36
wooverstone8

Drives: 2017 VW Jetta 1.4L Manual
Yaris Liftback vs Volvo wagon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXzs6gvfHhs&feature=fvw
wooverstone8 is offline   Reply With Quote