Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-23-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
yaris-one

Drives: 09 sedan, stock....for now
Any help would be great

Ok so long story short, my driver side door doesnt lock, either by using the power locks or manually trying to lock it, it seems as though the cable is getting stuck or something, took off door panel, cant find anything wrong. suggestion, ideas, anything, all else fails ill have to removed the entire lock and handle assembly...not fun

ty in advance

oh, yeah unrelated problem, i reached into my back seat, to get one of my books, rear driver floor mat, soaked, just recently rained, thought i left window open, nope, anyway, i end up taking a bunch of stuff apart and rip out the whole carpet, ran the hose over the whole car, with my buddy in it to see if he cant find the leak, nothing, its supposed to rain again sunday, so ima go take it for a drive and see if i cant find the leak, but if anyone know of this happeneing to someone lemme know pls
yaris-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:55 PM   #2
BuildCode

Drives: Black 5-Spd Sedan S
...warranty...!
Old 01-23-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The wet floor mats are most likely due to the shipping plugs not having been installed. Look in your glove box for two oval shaped rubber plugs and look under the car on either side, right about where the wet spots are for where to stick them.

For the lock issue, does the key lock work fine? Also, when you try to manually lock it from inside, does the lever not move as far as it should?
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:15 AM   #4
yaris-one

all the plugs are in order, i ripped out the whole carpet and seats and all, in fact im sitting in my driver seat, in my living room typing this right now...lol. it seems as though the water is comming from somewhere in the front and flowing into the back where it sits and soaks

and the lock doesnt seem as though it is going as far as normal.theres nothing stuck in the lever mechanism by the door handle, but i cant rele see by the actual lock due to it being bolted to the inside of the door, and the key doesnt work either
its not rele too much of a problem, considering the only place the car goes is in my driveway in the middle of nowhere and to work would just be nice to fix it soonish
Old 01-24-2010, 07:57 AM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris-one View Post
all the plugs are in order, i ripped out the whole carpet and seats and all, in fact im sitting in my driver seat, in my living room typing this right now...lol. it seems as though the water is comming from somewhere in the front and flowing into the back where it sits and soaks

and the lock doesnt seem as though it is going as far as normal.theres nothing stuck in the lever mechanism by the door handle, but i cant rele see by the actual lock due to it being bolted to the inside of the door, and the key doesnt work either
its not rele too much of a problem, considering the only place the car goes is in my driveway in the middle of nowhere and to work would just be nice to fix it soonish

With the carpet out do you see daylight anywhere through the floor? There are quite a few plugged holes that you'll find under the carpet. There are also some seams that are glued rather than welded. You might want to try the hose from under the car, while you have the carpet out.

With the key not working either, it really seems like it is the lock body. There are two separate cables (one for the power lock and one for the manual lock) that connect to it. You could release the other side of the cables and see if the key works as a last test before trying to get all the way to the lock body.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:42 PM   #6
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris-one View Post
Ok so long story short, my driver side door doesnt lock, either by using the power locks or manually trying to lock it, it seems as though the cable is getting stuck or something, took off door panel, cant find anything wrong. suggestion, ideas, anything, all else fails ill have to removed the entire lock and handle assembly...not fun
Do you have factory power locks or aftermarket?
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:30 PM   #7
Red Horse

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan A/T
Theres a diagram for the wirnings http://www.etimago.com/yaris/repairmanual/EWD.pdf

Red Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:57 PM   #8
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
as for the wet issue my moms corolla (1985, cant believe toyota never fixed this) had the same problem. only when it rains.... the hose can't do it and neither can the car wash (for her corolla only when the car was pulled up on driveway) it turned out to be the vents jsut outside the windshield. they were letting water in, flowing throguh the vents and coming out of the foot vent in the front and would run to the back... not exactly what the issue was with the vent (we sold the car on a dry day after living with it for about 5 years) but all we knew is thats where it was coming in from.....

hope it helps, at least u ahve somewhere to start from
Old 01-28-2010, 10:45 AM   #9
yaris-one

factory locks...im gonna rip the assembly apart this weekend, and see if i cant fix it. dont want to take it to a shop cuz im trying to save for a charger

thanks for all your help...ill check out that vent thing
Old 01-28-2010, 11:38 AM   #10
DARK AGE 53

Drives: 2009 Yaris Onyx
[QUOTE=yaris-one;435789it seems as though the water is comming from somewhere in the front and flowing into the back where it sits and soaks
[/QUOTE]

could be a plugged weep hole.
DARK AGE 53 is offline   Reply With Quote