Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #37
bewley

Drives: 2010 Liftback
Thanks Bronsin, I'm definitely gonna go that route if this route fails. The sensors remind me of that egg-genie for boiling eggs with more ease. Bright side: I guess the failing technology creates jobs? The production and installation of failing sensors, all the reprogramming after wheel, tire and rim swaps...
bewley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #38
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
You just need to slide the TPMS board out of its box and cut one leg of the connector leads and short it out to another next to it to turn off that light for good. I did it and I have no sensors in my newer alloy wheels and no light! It's on here somewhere , so easy to do...

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #39
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by enviri View Post
and here i am using uhp falken/kumho tires that last no more than 20k miles lol.
I've got a set of Falken 452's with almost 27K and plenty of tread left on them. Still going strong!
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:15 AM   #40
bewley

Thanks auxmike. i'm glad it's not difficult if it's needed since aside from installing light fixtures, i'm not exactly a skilled electrician.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:52 AM   #41
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Damn it! I had a flat again. This time it was on my way to work. The same wheel, rear- left side on me Yari.The side walls raptured.It seems my problems are the tires and windscreen, which got hit again a month ago.I was an hour late for work.Thanks road assist. You're a guardian angel.

junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #42
bewley

Oh, no! That literally blows. I'm glad it didn't cause a more involved accident. Could the wheel be bent after the original impact and causing undo stress on the tire? Or you think the tire was just weakened by the accident?
Old 10-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #43
bewley

just an update: after spinning my wheels with the dealership regarding the pressure sensors, they are now saying they are going to send me a $250 check on Monday instead of replacing the two missing ones, so I guess I'm just gonna disable after all. now to uncover why i'm getting meh gas mileage. 28 with half city/half highway. i think it's because i'm still sorta gunning when going into first from neutral as it's taking a bit of time to get my sense memory working with the optimum transfer point. never had any problems learning a new clutch before but there's a bit of a learning curve with this one, methinks. one question, do you guys kill the engine at lights? in your opinion, is the gas savings worth the wear on my starter, battery and alternator? also, regarding the mileage, with only like 8600m on the car, is there any reason to get a tuneup to increase my mileage?

Last edited by bewley; 10-13-2012 at 03:09 PM. Reason: adding a dumb question to my post
Old 10-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #44
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by bewley View Post
Oh, no! That literally blows. I'm glad it didn't cause a more involved accident. Could the wheel be bent after the original impact and causing undo stress on the tire? Or you think the tire was just weakened by the accident?
The first flat i found a nail on the left rear on my newer KHUMO tire.I had it repaired and moved those two to the front.The older TOYO tires up-front, the dude at the shop said they were still good.To save money they moved those two at the back had a wheel balance and it all cost $60 bucks.All was good until i hit a gutter lol it ripped the side wall, a small rip on my old TOYO tires at the back.And it was all good for a few days.Then it exploded or rapture on that fateful morning on the way to work.The rims weren't bent.Thank god, LOVE.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #45
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
just an update: after spinning my wheels with the dealership regarding the pressure sensors, they are now saying they are going to send me a $250 check on Monday instead of replacing the two missing ones, so I guess I'm just gonna disable after all. now to uncover why i'm getting meh gas mileage. 28 with half city/half highway. i think it's because i'm still sorta gunning when going into first from neutral as it's taking a bit of time to get my sense memory working with the optimum transfer point. never had any problems learning a new clutch before but there's a bit of a learning curve with this one, methinks. one question, do you guys kill the engine at lights? in your opinion, is the gas savings worth the wear on my starter, battery and alternator? also, regarding the mileage, with only like 8600m on the car, is there any reason to get a tuneup to increase my mileage?
People have posted different lengths of time that the engine has to be off at a stoplight to compensate for the gas it takes to restart the car -- lengths of time members have posted (that I've seen) range from I think 20 seconds to 1 minute. I've never read a post where the poster was concerned about wear on the starter, battery, or alternator re turning the engine off at stoplights. Re your MPG, I would wait until you are comfortable with the clutch and are no longer 'gunning it'. If, at that point, you are still getting the same poor MPG you are now, then address the situation at that point. It is possible, but it's hard to imagine that spark plugs would foul in 8600 miles. The drive-by-wire clutch on the Yaris is definitely very different than on any other car I've had...but it has lasted the longest....I'm still on the original clutch.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #46
bewley

Thanks so much Nookandcrannycar! That is great to know, about the clutch lasting a long time! I kind of went back and forth regarding getting the clutch since the auto tranny lasts forever and since there's very minimal gas savings with the clutch. In the end, I just couldn't see myself losing the control. I initially missed the swift/metro clutch, though this is getting easier by the day. I think the car is also driving better in general. It had been at the dealership since May and obviously hadn't been driven by the owner all that much before that so maybe it needed a little breaking in? You must be a very good driver, with your record for endless tires and clutch.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:44 PM   #47
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
i just think the engine hasnt 'broken in' to get better mileage. my friend's yaris complained about the mileage until he hit about 20k miles, when he finally hit consistant high 30s-low 40s on highway. maybe he just got used to cruising, or it truly has broken in. something to consider. or not.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:15 AM   #48
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Thanks so much Nookandcrannycar! That is great to know, about the clutch lasting a long time! I kind of went back and forth regarding getting the clutch since the auto tranny lasts forever and since there's very minimal gas savings with the clutch. In the end, I just couldn't see myself losing the control. I initially missed the swift/metro clutch, though this is getting easier by the day. I think the car is also driving better in general. It had been at the dealership since May and obviously hadn't been driven by the owner all that much before that so maybe it needed a little breaking in? You must be a very good driver, with your record for endless tires and clutch.
Thanks. I've always been able to make a clutch last a long time, but the Yaris really has been better than other cars re how long I've been able to make the tires last. I've learned a few new things re tire life from reading posts on Yarisworld and that can't have done anything but help extend the life of the tires. I love to drive. It relaxes me. I must have inherited it from my grandfather. During the part of his lifetime I was around for, he drove 70,000 miles a year just for pleasure. It skipped across the family generation wise -- my aunt feels the same way I do but my mother never did and my cousins don't. I recently read a post by a member who drove from Ottawa, ON Canada to London, OH for a car part and then back to Ottawa. That sounds like something I would do.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:52 AM   #49
bewley

My baby made it through the WORST storm NY has ever faced. I couldn't believe it, not really a mark and a downed tree within a couple of feet of her (I parked as far as I could from a tree but it was pretty late when I found out that the indoor parking lot i'd arranged to park in for the hurricane was closing because of concern about floods, and when I got back to park locally, every safe-ish space was taken). Anyway, there were all these branches on the car but not a mark was left! I was so lucky as so many of my friends and family are in distress and chaos (my 101 year old grandma is in trapped on the 16th Floor of an apartment without electricity or water (and thus toilet), for instance. Six of my friends are literally homeless because their first floor apartments were flooded to the ceiling for hours. A friend owned one of those 80 houses in Breezy Point that burned down to the ground! Just utter chaos here amongst my peeps. The hatchback was so useful today. I know hundreds without power and my husband and I drove around with candles, hot coffee, gallons of water, small generators, pumps, etc. Just a great little car for emergencies. I was surprised how well the car dealt in fairly deep puddles and driving over oil slicks and stuff, given how light it was (though the ABS system kinda blows, gotta say). It was shallow, in light of what my family and friends are facing now, but I was REALLY worried about my new (used) Yaris when wind was just tearing up trees in front of my building. I kept thinking, why, oh why did I get $1500 deductible on comprehensive. Just one less headache. And Nook, I LOVE to drive too! Totally understand your passion for it.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:10 AM   #50
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
My baby made it through the WORST storm NY has ever faced. I couldn't believe it, not really a mark and a downed tree within a couple of feet of her (I parked as far as I could from a tree but it was pretty late when I found out that the indoor parking lot i'd arranged to park in for the hurricane was closing because of concern about floods, and when I got back to park locally, every safe-ish space was taken). Anyway, there were all these branches on the car but not a mark was left! I was so lucky as so many of my friends and family are in distress and chaos (my 101 year old grandma is in trapped on the 16th Floor of an apartment without electricity or water (and thus toilet), for instance. Six of my friends are literally homeless because their first floor apartments were flooded to the ceiling for hours. A friend owned one of those 80 houses in Breezy Point that burned down to the ground! Just utter chaos here amongst my peeps. The hatchback was so useful today. I know hundreds without power and my husband and I drove around with candles, hot coffee, gallons of water, small generators, pumps, etc. Just a great little car for emergencies. I was surprised how well the car dealt in fairly deep puddles and driving over oil slicks and stuff, given how light it was (though the ABS system kinda blows, gotta say). It was shallow, in light of what my family and friends are facing now, but I was REALLY worried about my new (used) Yaris when wind was just tearing up trees in front of my building. I kept thinking, why, oh why did I get $1500 deductible on comprehensive. Just one less headache. And Nook, I LOVE to drive too! Totally understand your passion for it.
As the storm hit I thought about you, Bronsin, and Geraldo Rivera's house. With your description re traffic you encounter I figured you live in or near NYC and I hoped that you and yours made it through unharmed (I hope your grandma is out of her situation safe and sound by the time you read this). I thought about Bronsin because in a recent post he included hurricanes among things he doesn't have to worry about. I don't know which city he lives in, but he mentioned in one post that he visited a nearby Toyota dealership in Mt. Laurel NJ, so I figured he doesn't live too far away. A creek that runs off the Delaware River and through Mt. Holly NJ (about 10 miles away from Mt. Laurel) hit 2.5 feet over flood stage according to the website I viewed, so I hope Bronsin and his wife are safe and sound. Geraldo Rivery invited cameras into his house a year or so ago. He lives in Edgewater,NJ right on the Hudson with a dock. His house probably didn't get flooded, but if he had a boat at his dock it might have been damaged. One of the reporters for The Weather Channel said that this is New Jersey's Katrina. IMO he should expand that thought considerably -- in a geographic sense -- re what your peeps are going through....wonderful that you and your husband can help in any way those who need the help.

I ended up spending more time in Florida than previously planned, so I postponed most of my trip. I had planned to get up to the far north of Maine and out to Montauk and North Fork (among other places), but realized I didn't have enough time to get to enough desired destinations before it would likely start snowing. Sandy started forming after I had already returned to Texas.

Last edited by nookandcrannycar; 10-31-2012 at 03:33 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:47 AM   #51
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Come to think of it, CTScott and enviri might have been touched by Sandy as well. I hope both of them (and any other Yarisworld members potentially in Sandy's 'wake'), their families, friends, and their Yari and other possessions all escaped harm.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:46 PM   #52
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
my yaris got some bruises from the storm. got more than a few dents on the roof, and one next to the filler cap.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:59 PM   #53
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Come to think of it, CTScott and enviri might have been touched by Sandy as well. I hope both of them (and any other Yarisworld members potentially in Sandy's 'wake'), their families, friends, and their Yari and other possessions all escaped harm.
We came through unscathed, but are now going on 48 hours without power, thanks to two trees that are hanging in the power lines at the entrance to our neighborhood. Fortunately, we have a generator, but it is still a hassle. I really feel bad for the people who lost their homes and those who will be heading into this cold weekend without power.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:00 PM   #54
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviri View Post
my yaris got some bruises from the storm. got more than a few dents on the roof, and one next to the filler cap.
Sorry to hear about the damage to your Yaris. I assume you, family, and friends are okay? (since you didn't mention otherwise)