Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-28-2014, 10:00 AM   #1
wagon

Drives: 2009 Yaris Hatchback
Drive Belt Replacement

I have a question about the estimated cost of a repair. I've had some squealing, like a belt slipping, for several weeks. I haven't worried about it because I noticed no drop in performance or other problems, put it off until the holidays to get fixed. I took the car - a 2009 Yaris - in to get a couple of recall items fixed because we are going to sell the car (not practical for us; kids in car seats, etc.). I forgot to mention the belt, but after they had fixed the spiral cable and seat track, the guy mentioned I would need a new drive belt soon. I didn't have time to get it fixed then because I had already been waiting over three hours.

So, here's my question: is the drive belt the serpentine belt, and am I right that this is a very easy cheap fix? This isn't like replacing a drive chain on some older vehicles, right, where the labor is extensive? There's just the one serpentine belt that it shouldn't take more than a half hour to replace, right?

Thanks for the help and advice for this non-DIYer...
wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:37 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
It is very simple to replace. It is the exposed, belt on the right side of the engine bay. It should not take a mechanic more than 1/2 hour to replace.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:24 AM   #3
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Left side of engine bay if you are standing in front of the car looking in ;)

OP, it also sounds like in your mind, you are confusing serpentine belt with timing belts/chains. Totally different in function.