Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-06-2011, 07:31 PM   #1
yaryarbing
Budget Buster

Drives: 2007 Polar White Sedan
ATX temperature overheating?

New to this forum and looking for information.

I have enjoyed this forum over the past several weeks and have gained an incredible level of knowledge regarding my recently purchased 2007 Yaris sedan. Thanks to all of you for this great source of information.

I recently blocked the lower grille for FE purposes. I have been watching the water temps closely using my Scangauge with a maximum temp thus far at 202 degrees F. Well below overheating...

My question is in regard to the threat of an overheated ATX due to the blocking of the lower grille. Is there a threat of overheating the ATX with the lower grille blocked? I have been unable to locate the TFT code (transmission fluid temperature) on my Scangauge to watch this temp. Any Scangauge users out there who have been able to program the Xgauge to show TFT? If it were available, what would be considered an excessive temperature?

Thanks for any info that can be provided.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #2
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
wow, fancy seeing you here. (same guy from gassavers)

I was going to say that you could unblock your lower grill and see what kind of temps you are getting normally and go from there. if nothing else, it will give you a good baseline.

you said you had it on toggle bolts, that should be easy enough to remove and replace. maybe give it a week when you know it is going to be a hot one.

****edit****

dang it, misread your post. thought you had gotten 202 as trans temp. one thing you could do is try the code for the ford trans temp and see what happens. the worst that could happen is you get an erroneous reading. http://www.scangauge.com/support/pdfs/XGAUGE.pdf
it is under enhanced data on page 4 or so. you could also give them a call. they are usually very helpful.
BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:47 AM   #3
yaryarbing
Budget Buster

Drives: 2007 Polar White Sedan
Hello again, BEEF!

Thought I'd give the ATX temp question a shot on this forum, but I wasn't expecting such a small world!
I saw the Ford tranny codes on Scangauge. May give them a try. I have emailed the Scangauge support desk requesting additional help. Waiting to hear back from them as well.

Hoping for some specific help from a Yaris "expert" on this forum.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:56 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
This is kind of an odd one. There is a temperature sensor for the AT that is a direct input to the ECM, and in the service manual "A/T Oil Temp" is listed as one of the data items for the AT, but when I connect my Toyota TechStream tool to the Yaris and go into the section for the AT, the only temperature parameter listed is coolant temp. And, if I sniff the communication stream with my CAN Bus sniffer, TechStream is just requesting the standard water temp PID.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:00 AM   #5
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Now, does the AT even have a cooling loop that runs through the rad, or is it purely air cooled?
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:47 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
Now, does the AT even have a cooling loop that runs through the rad, or is it purely air cooled?
It has a transmission fluid cooler.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:54 AM   #7
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Does it run through the coolant though? Or is it just a loop in front of the lower part of the rad. That makes a difference. If it's going through the rad the transmission temps should be pretty close to the coolant temps. If it's an open air loop in front of the lower part of the rad it won't be getting the airflow it requires.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:24 AM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
Does it run through the coolant though? Or is it just a loop in front of the lower part of the rad. That makes a difference. If it's going through the rad the transmission temps should be pretty close to the coolant temps. If it's an open air loop in front of the lower part of the rad it won't be getting the airflow it requires.
The tranny cooler is part of the main radiator, but the tranny fluid temp should be cooler than the water temp, so I would think that the two sets of coils are isolated.