Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-13-2018, 03:28 PM   #19
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
True, problem is the rpm header is no longer made ...
the dc header is tho
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:42 PM   #20
atomic_hoji

Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmstrongRacing View Post
Well I can always pay someone to make a copy....just gotta get serious about it
Man, if that becomes a viable option please keep me in the loop - I dilly-dallied on the exhaust and found the RPM no longer available, so decision was made for me.. But, the whole exhaust I'm not happy with, so at some point I'd like to revisit it and a long tube header would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
The 2zr is a new engine with a solid platform so what ever I do will likely be on that engine. MWR makes cams, lightweight crankshafts, springs and titanium retainers so getting up to 8-9k rpm is doable w/ enough cash.
Papadakis has a 1,000hp 2ar iirc and that block and head is virtually the same as a 2zr, he obviously has customs valves etc to put down that power thougg
There's a lot of coverage of the Papadakis 2AR - MotoIQ does a good article with the details - and lots of custom work to get it up to 9000 rpm and 24#+ of boost. You're right though, the ZR seems to share a lot with the AR platform, and I think can make a ton of fun power with some basic upgrades.

As for transmission, I agree that it's really all in what you like and what you use it for. My wife drives a manual just fine and tolerates my car for the few times she uses it; not sure what she'd prefer if she gets her own car, but for the family van she's definitely happy with get in and go AT. I also used to swear up and down on a manual being best for 4x4 wheeling, yet I found I had more enjoyable trips in my AT FJC then I did with my hardcore mini truck and a MT - mini truck is old, bounces and bangs around, and you're always aggressively fighting with the clutch on hills and rocks; FJC you put it in low and roll on. Something to be said for modern day slushoxes..

Looking forward to see what you decide on.

-- Adam
atomic_hoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:11 PM   #21
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowFox View Post
the dc header is tho
true, but I'd only purchase the DC header if the rpm one is a 100% not an option (meaning no one can re make it) I'd rather put a bit more money into a true long tube w/ much better gains than the DC one. I ran the DC header on my 1nz and it helped but nothing compared to what a proper long tube will net me. I'd hate to spend money for the DC header only to find out an RPM rep is available soon after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic_hoji View Post

There's a lot of coverage of the Papadakis 2AR - MotoIQ does a good article with the details - and lots of custom work to get it up to 9000 rpm and 24#+ of boost. You're right though, the ZR seems to share a lot with the AR platform, and I think can make a ton of fun power with some basic upgrades.

Looking forward to see what you decide on.

-- Adam
Ya Tom sent me the link to the Papadakis tear down and what they had to fabricate was ridiculous but awesome. I was talking with a guy who had a TC at the track last night and he was saying that it is impossible to find someone around here to tune them as Toyota ECU are so damn locked up. Only reliable option is run a standalone which screws us who live in e-test states/provinces if you want to keep it street legal.

I honestly keep going back and fourth in my head about what direction I want to go over the next year or two and after doing a bunch of sessions with 3 or 4 s2000's last night and some others I'm realizing how much money I'd have to put into the yaris to get it to where I want. I like wrenching on a car but I don't and likely never will have the time nor want to spend the money to fabricate up a bunch of custom things to get the build where I want it.

Cars like Miata's have so much aftermarket options that even the LSx swaps where you have to cut the trans tunnel come with everything you need and step by step instructions - this is more in my future wheel house in terms of the type of work I want to do on my car (read: hobby). I do like having an uncommon car at the track but I'm not sure it's worth the amount of time, skill and money to get it where I'd want it to be. Time will tell though. I'll update my build thread as I found some reasons I'm having difficulty breaking the 1:30 mark.

I had a few people come up to me last night and chat about why I chose a Yaris and how cool it was to see a Yaris on the track. I do like it a lot but I don't know if it will be able to grow with me in 4 or 5 years art the track with what i'm willing to spend on a hobby.

I really appreciate everyone's insight however and will continue to ponder the idea as I continue to put time in at the track
Old 07-15-2018, 09:16 PM   #22
johnny_vitz

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
After reading through this, I feel like I am torn the same as you are about this decision. I've been debating the last few years about what I should move on to, but I refuse to get rid of my echo (for some reason) I even have a guy a work with that keeps offering to buy it . I have considered all kinds of different cars but just can't pull the trigger and move on. I think I would rather have something unique I guess...I really don't know. There are just so many modded Miatas out there, I could never do it. Not to mention any Honda...we all know we dont want to see any more oil burners with fart cans on the road.
Either way, I'll be checking back in to see your final decision lol
Old 07-15-2018, 09:33 PM   #23
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_vitz View Post
After reading through this, I feel like I am torn the same as you are about this decision. I've been debating the last few years about what I should move on to, but I refuse to get rid of my echo (for some reason) I even have a guy a work with that keeps offering to buy it . I have considered all kinds of different cars but just can't pull the trigger and move on. I think I would rather have something unique I guess...I really don't know. There are just so many modded Miatas out there, I could never do it. Not to mention any Honda...we all know we dont want to see any more oil burners with fart cans on the road.
Either way, I'll be checking back in to see your final decision lol
having a unique car has it pros for sure but at the end of the day I am doing this solely for my own enjoyment and to have a great platform that I can easily find parts for, costs a minimal amount, has good online support and that can grow with my skill as it teaches me to be a better driver. If it was purely a street car then I agree unique is better. My car is slowly becoming more of a track build and the more I track it the less important being unique seems to me.

The amount of cash it takes to blaze a trail and be the first to build a chassis up in a way that has no support or has never been done takes ridiculous amount of money. This is the large difference of a street vs track car. With the temps my engine saw at the track last Friday, I would have to make serious changes to my front end to keep it cool if I ever wanted to go with some boost. Being the first for a street car isn't nearly as cumbersome as building a functional chassis that can handle 45 min full out track session in above 90 degree ambient temps.

Don't get me wrong, I love driving around in a very unique Yaris (around my neck of the woods) and I genuinely love my car. I am just realizing how little rational sense it seems to want to make it my lifelong track car in a few years when there are at least 3 solid chassis out there with a lot for sale in the used market and with many aftermarket bolt on options (ie: 370z, miata, s2000)

I personally don't like convertibles and a Miata isn't my choice of car if I was going just on looks, but there is a reason you hear the saying "miata is always the answer" on a pure cost+performance/fun perspective you can't really go wrong with them. I do like the FRS/BRZ but the aftermarket parts are inflated with the "Teenage tax" as it is currently one of the more popular "cheap" sports cars. This is why I haven't really thought much about that chassis.

Something I've learned being a fly on the wall at track days and listening to others who have tracked for many years is that there is no substitute for seat time. If you have limitations to your budget that chassis' w/ expensive wear items and/or ones that are always breaking down are not very conducive to seat time.

I'll always have my Yaris. All this would mean is that I won't be putting anymore serious money into the drive train. I'll update things like a racing seat and new tires etc, but large ticket items will be saved for a future track specific chassis.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:02 PM   #24
johnny_vitz

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Definitely, If you want a faster car that just requires readily available bolt on parts...those 3 are great options. The difference is buying a fast car or building one, that is totally up to you. I haven't had the time to make it back to the track this year...still hoping to do that soon.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:37 PM   #25
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
I got a wet dream of swapping a Ren motor and 6 speed into a BRZ, their prices are dropping so fast for auto's its actually not hard to find one thats been in a fender bender for less than 7.....

ive always wanted to know what it would feel like with a little more power little less weight, and lot more brap

me and tom are looking at getting out of the game for the same reason. lack of support and the car itself is limited on what it can achieve. its a commuter car, i went too far with it.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:54 AM   #26
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
The #wrecho is bound for auto-x/track use if it can survive until my wife is done commuting in it.

I even found a greddy supercharger thats been sitting in my garage for a year.

I like the uniqueness of the yaris/echo. Reliablilty is great, too.

I just couldnt DD and auto. Maybe if it was properly quick i could, but i still prefer a manny tranny.