Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-10-2014, 01:16 AM   #1
ivanstepul

Drives: 08 hatchback
Hybrid conversions for performance!!!

Are there any possible hybrid conversions to make more performance. Is it possible to add a prius hybrid system and tweak/ program it to combine the power from the gas engine about 100 hp and the two permanent magnet AC synchronous motors producing 60 kilowatts and 80 horsepower for a total of 180 hp??
If there is a shop that does that let me know I would be interested how much?

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/facts_7906583_el...#ixzz2stgLz2id

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/toy...-and-info-news

Or like a hybrid r style conversion with two electric motors in the rear to make it 4 wheel drive with this company
http://www.evdrive.com/products/evd-motor-controller/
ivanstepul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Very interesting, expensive project. I'm not sure how you're going to re-engineer a hybrid system though. Swapping in a 3rd gen Prius' 1.8L hybrid powertrain would be an idea.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:03 AM   #3
JimKellyfan

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Or a Tesla set up.
2010 Yaris sedan, TRD CAT back (sport muffler only, really), OBX header (relocated front AF sensor to front pipe), OBX throttle plate spacer, K&N filter (in stock air box-for now), TRD struts and shocks, Mexico Rough Road Springs x 4, new Yota sway bar links front, slotted/drilled rotors and Maxx brakes front, Valvoline synthetic brake fluid, 3M undercoated, 16" Konig Feathers Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 + Tires
TRD rear sway bar, 4 GT Spec bars including: front strut brace 2 point, 4 point ladder brace, mid chassis brace and rear lower tie brace, rear hitch, [B]
JimKellyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:34 AM   #4
japle

Drives: Vitz S 2007 LB
Crazy idea but i really hope it works... be careful of black smokes rising from your hair thou, lol
japle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:04 AM   #5
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Probably cheaper and easier to just buy a Prius C ;)
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:55 PM   #6
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
That's not really a performance upgrade is it

The Prius C uses a 1.3L if I'm not mistaken.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:58 PM   #7
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
Quote:
Yup.

The idea...got me thinking...what would be the advantage of a Prius setup in a Yaris body.

I really can't see it. Is the styling that important?

I remember two Jeep projects I was involved in. First, twenty years ago, someone had a rusted-out Jeepster Commando. That was Jeep's prototype SUV/CUV of the 1960s. Small station-wagon body on a stretched Jeep CJ chassis.

Back then, fiberglass replacement Jeep bodies were available by several makers. This guy, bought a CJ-6 tub to mount on his frame. The CJ-6 was a rare bird; from 1956 to 1975 they only sold about 20,000 of them. Most of them to various government agencies. Worked until they were scrap.

But, with plenty of grief, he did get that body to fit. The frame was mostly the same but the axles, spring mounts, body mounts, steering column, pedal setups...all very different. But he wanted his CJ-6, and eventually he got one.

About ten years after that, I got myself a Jeep YJ Wrangler. I, too, wanted a CJ - and hanging a CJ front clip on the YJ looked like a fifteen-bolt project. So, with a lot of work, I found the parts - and then with WEEKS of trimming, fitting, more trimming, more fitting swearing, painting, shimming...I had my fake CJ-7.

And of course the first thing the Jeep purists would ask me was: "WHY? Why does the STYLE matter?" It did, to me, at the time - I liked the retro look, more utilitarian than the styled erzatz Jeep look of the original Wrangler.

But those were LIGHT modifications. Here you're going to take an INCREDIBLY complex system, out of the car it's been designed for, and put it into a much-smaller car it was not. Just the thought of that work gives me the willies.

And what you get out of it...is, literally, a Prius with a differently-styled body.

Hey, everyone to his taste. If you like the idea and want it that badly, go for it. But I think long before you even reach the halfway point, just buying a Prius will seem like a much better idea.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:06 PM   #8
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

you be better off adding a electric motor in place of the power steering pump location and a xB or Echo two belt pulley. Then add your batteries and a controller.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:12 PM   #9
Kar98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
That's not really a performance upgrade is it

The Prius C uses a 1.3L if I'm not mistaken.
You are mistaken.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_...Specifications
Old 02-18-2014, 09:40 PM   #10
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Ok but it's still makes less power than just the 1.5 on its own. So again, not much of a PERFORMANCE upgrade.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:42 PM   #11
Kar98

Still seems to be much less work to get the 1.5 four banger back up to 106 hp, or drop in the 1.8 from a Matrix.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:10 AM   #12
ivanstepul

Quote:
This is what I'm talking about ,this set up in the picture but the electrical system is reprogrammed to add horsepower. Its the goal of first knowing if its possible to make it worth it for the power, and if not with that set up. What can be done to make it 180hp. cuz that would be worthwhile and a cool vitz. This is the future the electrical system is proly more reliable than a turbo?
Old 02-21-2014, 09:36 AM   #13
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

If you knew how the hybrid synergy drive system worked, you'd know that 180hp will never happen. MG1 is your main propulsion unit. It's basically what propels the car. MG2 is cupeled to the engine and is mostly a generator. There's a bunch of planetary gears in there and depending on what direction MG2 spins and ICE speed determines your forward speed. It's not a simple system like honda uses, by just adding an electric motor to the system. It's very complex.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:22 PM   #14
ivanstepul

It's just an Idea I'm not an engineer, would be cool to see it implemented.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:46 PM   #15
JustDidIt

Drives: '08G2T Prius
I still think this is the best option...

420hp - Done!

http://cleantechnica.com/2013/09/10/...ally-revealed/
JustDidIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:24 AM   #16
ivanstepul

Thats sick the motor.