Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-30-2017, 08:16 AM   #73
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Sound deadening won't help if speakers are underpowered. If I remember correctly, you are still on factory HU. I'd upgrade that next. When I did my upgrades, I did HU first and immediately noticed better sound with factory speakers. Seemed to me that aftermarket HU had a better sound processor than stock HU.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2017, 09:37 AM   #74
miiser

Drives: yaris 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Sound deadening won't help if speakers are underpowered. If I remember correctly, you are still on factory HU. I'd upgrade that next. When I did my upgrades, I did HU first and immediately noticed better sound with factory speakers. Seemed to me that aftermarket HU had a better sound processor than stock HU.

Yes you remember correct. But I haven't still decide what to do next.
Of course the aftermarket HU has better sound processor. I am 100% sure about that.

But there is a big money difference between an aftermarket HU and an amp.

For the HU u need close to 300€. HU+wirings+2 din dash kit+steering wheel button adapter.

For the amp, I can pick an xplod one for about 80€ and have a proffesional to install it for me for +50€.
And then it will be a plug and play for me a pair of rear speakers.

That's why I am not sure if it's worth to give so much money for an aftermarket HU instead of amp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
miiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:40 AM   #75
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by miiser View Post
I really want help here:

I replaced my factory front speakers with a pair of jvc cs-j620x in my 2009 HB yaris. The music is a lot clearer now, but the bass is terrible. So what should I do now?

Buy an amp?
Change the HU?
Soundeadning the doors?

I am all stock right now. I don't want bass that will keep my neighbors awake. I just want some decent music depth. Please suggest

If you're having bass problems I feel bad for you son. I got 99 problems but the bass ain't one.

Get a small powered sub and stick it under your seat, wire it to the speaker line level and use the crossover adjustments on the sub itself to tune it up.
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:44 AM   #76
miiser

Aftermarket Stereo / Speaker Specifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
If you're having bass problems I feel bad for you son. I got 99 problems but the bass ain't one.

Get a small powered sub and stick it under your seat, wire it to the speaker line level and use the crossover adjustments on the sub itself to tune it up.

But this isn't too much to ask from a stock HU?
Because then it will have to handle 2 door speakers that they are already out of his league. They want more rms than the stock HU can provide. Plus the stock tweeters in the a-pillars, plus the powered amp-sub.

And after reading some posts here and there I came to the conclusion that Toyota didn't gave a sh.t in sound quality for this car. And so, the stock HU is really bad to handle so much tasks without even an amplifier

I have already searched for something like this tho:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0082...rch&th=1&psc=1

is this some thing u have done? U plugged an powered amp sub to the speaker line?

Old 05-30-2017, 12:09 PM   #77
David C

That's the one I have in my car, except it's running off the pre-amp sub output of my aftermarket HU, but you could achieve the same using the speaker line level input. It won't drain any power from your head unit, it will only read the speaker signal and use its own power source to move the sub (you have to run 8ga copper wire on a 20a fuse from the battery to the sub).

If you look at other similar sub, you'll see that some of them also feature a second channel built in amplifier that will allow you to power another set of speaker from the amplifier powering the sub. That's also a cheap alternative to installing a dedicated amp just for 2 speakers.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:40 PM   #78
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Gonna have to change your screen name to DavZ.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 02:05 PM   #79
miiser

Quote:
That's the one I have in my car, except it's running off the pre-amp sub output of my aftermarket HU, but you could achieve the same using the speaker line level input. It won't drain any power from your head unit, it will only read the speaker signal and use its own power source to move the sub (you have to run 8ga copper wire on a 20a fuse from the battery to the sub).

If you look at other similar sub, you'll see that some of them also feature a second channel built in amplifier that will allow you to power another set of speaker from the amplifier powering the sub. That's also a cheap alternative to installing a dedicated amp just for 2 speakers.

And what about the speaker that I have in this line? Can I keep it too? Well that's really interesting

Old 05-30-2017, 10:59 PM   #80
David C

Quote:
And what about the speaker that I have in this line? Can I keep it too? Well that's really interesting

You simply wire the subwoofer amp input in parallel to any of the 4 speaker channel, usually you can input a left and right line, so 2 channel (2 pairs, 4 wires) and that replace a pair of RCA cable.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:24 AM   #81
miiser

Quote:
You simply wire the subwoofer amp input in parallel to any of the 4 speaker channel, usually you can input a left and right line, so 2 channel (2 pairs, 4 wires) and that replace a pair of RCA cable.

Or else I will need something like this ?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001E...7ESYQM60R1KP4Y

Old 05-31-2017, 04:18 AM   #82
miiser

I just found 3 good -package- deals on eBay after a ton of search.
Please check them out and tell me if it's any good
(If I understand correctly the price should include the 2din dashkit, the HU and wiring harness adapter from Toyota's clips to universal. Sadly no steering button adapter :/ .I just don't speak German so I can't understand clearly what they say):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332216275699

https://www.ebay.com/itm/391747419251

https://www.ebay.com/itm/391724063921

They are about from 200 to 215 €.

Last edited by miiser; 05-31-2017 at 04:36 AM.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:12 PM   #83
David C

Quote:
Or else I will need something like this ?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001E...7ESYQM60R1KP4Y

Yes.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:23 PM   #84
David C

It's really about what you're looking for in a HU.

You should list the features and specs you want, then cross reference that to the specs of the HU you're looking at.

Things like pre-amp outputs, Bluetooth versions, USB file format playback, CD reader, Pandora (and other music service), tune ability and quality of crossover range adjustments, user interface (big buttons, easy to see in sun glare, dimmer, etc).

Look up specs on the manufacturers website.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:19 PM   #85
miiser

Quote:
It's really about what you're looking for in a HU.

You should list the features and specs you want, then cross reference that to the specs of the HU you're looking at.

Things like pre-amp outputs, Bluetooth versions, USB file format playback, CD reader, Pandora (and other music service), tune ability and quality of crossover range adjustments, user interface (big buttons, easy to see in sun glare, dimmer, etc).

Look up specs on the manufacturers website.

Thank you.
In your opinion are these good deals? It's a huge or a small upgrade over the stock one?
I don't care about the feautures so much. I focus on the music quality
They have everything you have mentioned.
Plus do you know the rms and watt outputs of the stock HU so I can compare them?

Old 05-31-2017, 09:11 PM   #86
David C

Rms output of the stock head unit will be rather similar, maybe a little less, but not that you wouldn't drive any speakers that a standard 22w RMS per channel aftermarket HU could handle. Of course sound quality comes with the price tag.

I've looked up the specs of the Kenwood one, as I'm most familiar with Kenwood receivers than any other brand and it's a decent unit, plus has 3 preamp output (front, rear and sub), at 4v. I wouldn't say it's a high audio quality unit (the Kenwood Excelon lineup is where they improve the sound quality), but you would definitively be able to drive speakers to a decent level with a decent band level adjustment and pre-amp output that are at least not bare minimum potential (the more volt, the less signal loss and the less prone to interference, for example my Kenwood Excelon has 6v preamp output whereas basic HU would often feature 2-4v). Another difference is audio file format compatibility. If you like to play your music off an USB flash drive (like I do) in order to have the least audio loss possible and huge library, then the basic units might not be up to the task as they will only read a handful of difference audio format, so unless all your files are MP3, you may not be able to get them to play. On my Excelon unit, I can read almost every format available, including all the compression free/lossless format and enjoy a much better sound than a compressed file format such as MP3 files. On a standard Kenwood receiver, only 30 out of my 300 files could be read. You'll then have to play those files from a Bluetooth device instead (such as your smartphone), and loose quality along the way.

To decide if it's a good deal, you should check how much the units are selling for elsewhere and what people say about them. Some units have very poor performance despite being a name brand.

You won't need the full dash kit, only the mounting brackets and harness adaptor, which can both be purchased separately on Amazon.

Best deal are often had from Crutchfield.com, as they throw in everything you need in the deal when you buy a HU and include installation sheets, great tech support and warranty.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:54 AM   #87
miiser

Quote:
Rms output of the stock head unit will be rather similar, maybe a little less, but not that you wouldn't drive any speakers that a standard 22w RMS per channel aftermarket HU could handle. Of course sound quality comes with the price tag.

I've looked up the specs of the Kenwood one, as I'm most familiar with Kenwood receivers than any other brand and it's a decent unit, plus has 3 preamp output (front, rear and sub), at 4v. I wouldn't say it's a high audio quality unit (the Kenwood Excelon lineup is where they improve the sound quality), but you would definitively be able to drive speakers to a decent level with a decent band level adjustment and pre-amp output that are at least not bare minimum potential (the more volt, the less signal loss and the less prone to interference, for example my Kenwood Excelon has 6v preamp output whereas basic HU would often feature 2-4v). Another difference is audio file format compatibility. If you like to play your music off an USB flash drive (like I do) in order to have the least audio loss possible and huge library, then the basic units might not be up to the task as they will only read a handful of difference audio format, so unless all your files are MP3, you may not be able to get them to play. On my Excelon unit, I can read almost every format available, including all the compression free/lossless format and enjoy a much better sound than a compressed file format such as MP3 files. On a standard Kenwood receiver, only 30 out of my 300 files could be read. You'll then have to play those files from a Bluetooth device instead (such as your smartphone), and loose quality along the way.

To decide if it's a good deal, you should check how much the units are selling for elsewhere and what people say about them. Some units have very poor performance despite being a name brand.

You won't need the full dash kit, only the mounting brackets and harness adaptor, which can both be purchased separately on Amazon.

Best deal are often had from Crutchfield.com, as they throw in everything you need in the deal when you buy a HU and include installation sheets, great tech support and warranty.

I need the 2 din dash kit because I have the stock HU, that's it's build in into the frame.

So even if I spend this amount of money, I won't have a big difference. I am so confused.
Weeyari said about a new HU because it could give me better sound quality.

I don't want professional lvl music. I want a descent depth and bass. That's what I am all about.
After reading reviews I think from these 3 pioneer is the best solution.
For the money it's a good deal. But I am just wanna know if there is any difference.

A friend of mine has a vw polo 2012. His sound system is all stock. But you can't believe the sound quality that he has. Really good bass. Really clear sound.
I just want to have this too. Descent bass. Descent highs.
Right know all I have is highs no matter how I change the HU setttings. It's driving me crazy
I want to invest some money to make my sound quality better. Especially the bass.
If I am gonna give 200€ for a HU and have barely any difference + loosing the steering wheel buttons I don't see any reason to do it.

(In picture is my HU. Under it, I have the pioneer I want to replace it with)

Last edited by miiser; 06-01-2017 at 07:17 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:03 AM   #88
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Now that's a stock setup the bulk of us are not familiar with. I can see why you are looking at HU packages that include the dash surround.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:26 AM   #89
miiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Now that's a stock setup the bulk of us are not familiar with. I can see why you are looking at HU packages that include the dash surround.

Yes it's the eu model so it comes with this HU as standard. That's why I need the surround plastics

Weeyari what's your opinion on what u said?

Last edited by miiser; 06-01-2017 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:21 PM   #90
David C

I understand now about the dash kit.

Get the one that has the most features.