Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-14-2007, 06:06 PM   #1
SLIK4
Michael

Drives: 07 Silver Yaris Sedan
air intakes?

hi all just got my yaris sedan this past weekend and love it! Im not into doin alot of performance upgrades but i was interested in a K&N air intake. I meantioned this to a friend and he said that the oils they put on the filter will screw up one of the computers but i cant remember which one. He said its the same for all of the air intakes. Just wonderin if any of u have put intakes on ur yaris and have had problems. If so please specify. Thanks

P.S. my friend had just the filter and not a complete intake system. he put it on his 00 tundra
SLIK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:07 PM   #2
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Tell your friend he has no idea what he is talking about.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:16 AM   #3
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Tell your friend he has no idea what he is talking about.
Actually, some automakers (Ford, for example) have said excess oil from K&N filters can cause problems with the MAF.

However, I've had a K&N filter on five of the seven cars I've owned and have never had a problem.

K&N Filters are great addtions to any vehicle, IMHO.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:20 AM   #4
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
(Ford, for example)
I am sure Ford will come up with any excuse to cover up there poor engineering
Old 05-15-2007, 02:20 AM   #5
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
I had this problem on my Tacoma. What happens is; oil from an oiled media air filter can coat the MAF sensor and cause a check engine light (CEL). This is generally caused by installing a new, freshly oiled filter, or by "over oiling" the filter when you clean it. It's no problem to fix. If it happens, you can easily clean the MAF by removing it and spraying it (very carefully) with MAF cleaner of electronic cleaner, and resetting the the CEL by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes. Oiled filters are superior to dry media filters and I would still recommend them.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:24 AM   #6
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
Oil from an oiled media air filter can coat the MAF sensor and cause a check engine light (CEL). This is generally caused by "over oiling" a cleanable/reusable filter. If it happens, you can easily clean the MAF by removing it and spraying it (very carefully) with MAF cleaner of electronic cleaner, and resetting the the CEL by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes. It's no problem to fix. Oiled filters are superior to dry media filters and I would still recommend them.
also our CEL will turn off by it's self after so many key turns, after the problem has been solved... I found this out after trying to modify my intake
Old 05-15-2007, 02:28 AM   #7
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
also our CEL will turn off by it's self after so many key turns, after the problem has been solved... I found this out after trying to modify my intake
I didn't know that, that's cool.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:06 AM   #8
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
As has been said, over-oiling is the usual cause of this, and while I have heard of people needing to clean their MAF sensor after this event I have never heard of a destroyed sensor, or an engine meltdown, or anything else the Chicken Littles of the world can come up with.

A little common sense and cleaning and careful oiling of the filter once per year can let you avoid all of that.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:49 PM   #9
SLIK4
Michael

i appreciate the feedback and so soon! u guys r the best. so from what im hearing as long as u take good care of the filter everything should be fine. now which brand do u recommend. i was thinking of getting the trd and having them install it at the dealer where i bought the car from. Will they do that and is it worth it?

Last edited by SLIK4; 05-15-2007 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:24 PM   #10
SLIK4
Michael

also when is the best time to put the intake on...as in how may miles should i drive the car before adding the intake?
Old 05-19-2007, 12:33 PM   #11
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
I hate to break it to you, but the CAI (cold air intake) OR a K&N filter like 99% of the time will not give you more power, nor MPG....it's a point of absurdity that people think that slapping on CAI is going to somehow make the car more powerful or give higher MPG....sure on some cars it does, but those are very high performance cars to start with.

Save your money....CAI or a K&N filter on a Yaris is plain stupid...do your homework...search the web...you'll not find ANY evidence that CAI is worth it....it's great for boy-racers, that needs something to brag about...EVEN TOYOTA makes no CAI claims in regard to power and MPG increase....big waste of $$!
Pavel Olavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 03:40 PM   #12
ChinoCharles
Banned

Pavel's Dad was a street racer and he is VERY angry. Don't mind him, he doesn't know shit.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:49 PM   #13
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Pavel's Dad was a street racer and he is VERY angry. Don't mind him, he doesn't know shit.
Poor Chino...refuses to grow up...so Co-Chino, do posts some credible evidence that CAI or K&N really contribute to a Yaris MPG and/or HP.

You can't.

Bark away loser...bullshit walks!

Charls can give it.....but is he man enough to take it? Lets see...
Pavel Olavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 08:49 PM   #14
ChinoCharles
Banned

If bullshit walks, when are you leaving? Oh, and how many times have you dynoed your car to find all this so called information? Never? Didn't think so. Stop posting misinformation.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:03 PM   #15
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Over Oiling of a cotton K&N style filter is the problem.. if you "recharge" your filters correctly, you wont have any issues.

I been using these types of filters for over ten years, without ever a MAF related issue.

BTW - not even on both of my factory supercharged FORDS!
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 09:27 PM   #16
Bis

Drives: Yaris LB
thats why you dont over oil your filter. also, k&n filters are rated the worst in the industry. though they may be one of the highest air flow filters, the pores are so big, they will not filter as well as stock or any other filters.. you can imagine the problems that may result from this..
Bis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:34 PM   #17
bassbaby10

Drives: Red 2007 Toyota Yaris
I haven't done it in my Yaris. In case you do it, please let me know what'll happen.