Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-23-2007, 11:33 PM   #1
St_G

Drives: Black 2007 Yaris Liftback 1.5
I drove my '95 Saturn SL1 from October of 1996 until January of 2007, running it to E on every damn tank. It's still on its original fuel pump. I'm not saying that the warning is bullshit; I've heard it before and am sure that it represents a genuine potential issue, but hardly one that is assured to happen if you go beneath 1/4th of a tank.
St_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:42 AM   #2
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by St_G View Post
I drove my '95 Saturn SL1 from October of 1996 until January of 2007, running it to E on every damn tank. It's still on its original fuel pump. I'm not saying that the warning is bullshit; I've heard it before and am sure that it represents a genuine potential issue, but hardly one that is assured to happen if you go beneath 1/4th of a tank.
I didn't get it from the back of a box of wheaties. Its in the manual. Try reading it!
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:00 PM   #3
St_G

Drives: Black 2007 Yaris Liftback 1.5
Dude, re-read what I said: "I'm not saying that the warning is bullshit; I've heard it before and am sure that it represents a genuine potential issue"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
I didn't get it from the back of a box of wheaties. Its in the manual. Try reading it!
St_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:47 AM   #4
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by St_G View Post
and I have worked at a couple shops and new at a parts store and you would not believe how many fuel pumps we sell, first question I ask is "do you run it below a 1/4 tank often?" 99.99999% of the time they say yes

you must of had that one hardy fuel pump that was like the lil engine that could... I think I can, I think I can... choogga... choogga... CHOOO CHOOOOO
Old 04-26-2007, 12:01 AM   #5
Lillydot
Absolutely Red!!!

Drives: 07 A/T Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
and I have worked at a couple shops and new at a parts store and you would not believe how many fuel pumps we sell, first question I ask is "do you run it below a 1/4 tank often?" 99.99999% of the time they say yes

you must of had that one hardy fuel pump that was like the lil engine that could... I think I can, I think I can... choogga... choogga... CHOOO CHOOOOO
i hear what everyone is saying, but i'm having trouble really believeing it. all my family drives til the gas light comes on. my mom,dad,sister,aunt, grandmother, all of them. as far as i know, no one has ever had a probelm with the fuel pump. and they all had their cars for at least two years. then again, none of them have toyotas. i'm the first. so, i ask again, is this mainly a toyota problem?
Lillydot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:06 AM   #6
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
I normaly gas up before "O Shit" light, but tried out my new 07 LB just for personal satisfaction. When the lights started to blink I burned 9.3 gallons. So, if the 11.1 capacity is correct I still had a little bit to go.
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:29 AM   #7
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
I think it's most important to not let the fuel ever run out completley. I don't know if it's true for the Yaris, but many fuel pumps, especially diesels, use the fuel as a lubricant, and when you run out you are running a pump without lube. I've never heard the fill up a 1/4 tank thing, and I've never had to replace a fuel pump. I think that's more of a safety issue recommendation; don't want people running out of gas on busy streets.

Back on topic, my blinking light works great. It starts off relatively slow and steadily increases to a rapid blink. The most fuel I've ever put in after the rapid blink was 10.68 gallons. It holds 11.2 so I got pretty close to empty. That was 27 miles past the beginning of the blink.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote