Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-26-2018, 11:04 AM   #19
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Had a look at your garage. Very nice indeed. Black wheels that perfectly fill the wells, black paint and dark tint all work together perfectly. I absolutely love the look. My favorite pic is the full passenger side shot with the mountain in the background.
Thanks for the kind words!

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:54 PM   #20
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Thanks for the kind words!
Haha, just tellin' it like it is.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:33 AM   #21
Blakethesnake

Drives: 2007 yaris hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
I picked up a set of barely used Westlake 195/60R15 all seasons for a good price. Installed them on my '08 in the shop today. What a difference, both in looks and handling. I didn't think that a tire only 10 cm (correction: 10 mm - thanks for the catch, WeeYari) wider could feel so much more stable. Looking forward to adding the 10 mm wheel spacers on the rear.

Looks like another couple applications of driveway sealer is in order this summer... Haha

Curious as to what happens to fuel economy. Is it less? Is it noticeable? Just wondering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blakethesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:05 PM   #22
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakethesnake View Post
Curious as to what happens to fuel economy. Is it less? Is it noticeable? Just wondering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good question. I will monitor my fuel economy again now that we will start seeing non-winter gas. My long term average is 42.1 mpg (imperial gallons) since I've owned the car. This data is from the Torque Pro app. Not sure how accurate it is, but at least I can get an idea of whether my fuel economy is getting better or deteriorating over time. I would hazard a guess that the fuel economy, if anything, would go down marginally with wider tires due to increased rolling resistance and greater friction associated with more road contact. Then again, less pounds per square inch contact might improve fuel economy. All pure supposition of course, as I am no physicist.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 05-03-2018, 09:46 PM   #23
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
FYI, 17's suck the life out of acceleration and braking capability
Old 05-03-2018, 09:58 PM   #24
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
FYI, 17's suck the life out of acceleration and braking capability
I bet. I noticed an increase in steering wheel resistance just going from the 14" winter tires to the 15" summer tires and that's not dry steering, even when rolling. I can imagine that and larger rim, or more so a tire with a greater diameter, would have some impact on such a light car.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:31 AM   #25
BennyLava

Drives: 1987 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post
185 will provide better traction in deep snow
185 weigh about 1lbs each lighter (0.4536kg) total rotational weight 4 lbs (1.8144kg)
185 cost's $10 less per tire. ($40 saved x 500,000 to manufacturer "works better" for them)

i like wider tires too, i'm just saying "work better" is subjective
(...and sometimes i'm just a jerk smartass)

Also a wider tire typically is a less fuel efficient tire. But I think he mentioned that in a later post. But for me, that is why I wouldn't change the size. Maximum fuel economy (that was in my budget) is why I got the Yaris, it just turned out that its a fairly awesome car on top of that.
BennyLava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:52 AM   #26
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyLava View Post
Also a wider tire typically is a less fuel efficient tire. But I think he mentioned that in a later post. But for me, that is why I wouldn't change the size. Maximum fuel economy (that was in my budget) is why I got the Yaris, it just turned out that its a fairly awesome car on top of that.

So what you are saying is...

for fuel economy.. .
Runethecursed is offline   Reply With Quote