Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-22-2006, 12:54 AM   #1
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback and S13's
Official Scangauge II Thread - Share your Data, Discuss Settings ,Problems, Findings!

Well, I give credit to those of you here on yarisworld.com that convinced me to get a Scangauge II unit. Btw, i bought mine off Ebay. There are 2 people selling for Logistic Systems (Manufacturer of Scangauge II) and they ship directly from the MFR in Mesa, Arizona. My unit arrived in 2 days, even though the USPS tracking didn't seem to work until after it arrived
I have my Scangauge mounted in the drivers glove compartment, it hasn't been permanently mounted since i'm still trying to decide if having it that far away from the OEM cluster will be a problem..i.e. will it take too much time check two sets of clusters that are 2 feet apart. I may just put the velcro on the bottom of the scangauge and "set it" right in front of the OEM gauge cluster, angled torward the driver (obviously) and not blocking more than just the VERY TOP end of the Speedo (which i'd be using the Scangauge MPH read out, anyway..)
I still gotta consult the manual and make sure this wouldn't block my view of any EMERGENCY signals that light up on the gauge cluster in case of many many things from Power steering failure, brake failure, etc.etc.etc...

Anyway, when you leave your info (specifically MPG computed by Scangauge), make sure to give us:

LOCATION : (please advise us if you're in high altitudes, or your area has "special" gasoline for your area, usually major metroplexes use this to combat ozone action day situations..
SEDAN/LIFTBACK :
MANUAL/AUTOMATIC Trans :
A/C used much?
EXTRA WEIGHT: Do you ride light and solo, or do you pack in the family with your collection of lead weights in the trunk?
CITY/HIGHWAY RATIO: Do you mostly sit in traffic or pure highway cruisin'? do you drive in VERY shorts spurts and spend a good part of the time warming up you car?

I have been keeping track of Max:
*coolant temperature - texas heat in july..about 100 degree F at 6 pm..high humidity..my temps crept up to 203 just a few times, mostly riding at 188 except right after driving in short bursts.
*max RPMs (i've checked many times, and i've been keeping it under 4300..usually only about 3800)
*Idle RPMS..they aren't as smooth as the engine's silence led me to believe..they do fluctuate a bit even with Power electric fans, steering, etc.

After I've had some time to confirm my first reactions I will come back with better organized and complete data.

We might have a very special chance to understand our vehicles as a community if we get enough information from enough credible, well informed Yaris Owners. Plus the data logging USB function will be out next month (August 2006) which will take this ten steps further.
Even if this info doesn't help now, it will definitely help when/if you start modifying your vehicle. You can see how coolant temperatures and engine load, fuel economy,etc. are affected by the power you create. Also, it will be the FIRST SIGNS of any POSSIBLE problems that you may have.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:32 AM   #2
pauljk

Drives: Yaris LB automatic
Good idea! I've got a Scangauge II on the way for my auto Liftback. My mileage seems to be going DOWN instead of up. I've got about 3500 miles on it so far.

Hopefully the Scangauge will help me see what's going on.

Paul
pauljk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:17 PM   #3
ketel0ne

Drives: 2007 Liftback Blazing Blue
LOCATION : 60 miles west of Wash DC (52 mile 1 way commute) Daily Includes a small mountain as well.
SEDAN/LIFTBACK : Liftback
MANUAL/AUTOMATIC Trans : Auto
A/C used much? All the time
EXTRA WEIGHT: 1 additional passenger to get HOV-2
CITY/HIGHWAY RATIO:50/50

First 5 tanks:
08/08/2006 37.8
08/04/2006 37.0
08/01/2006 36.3
07/30/2006 34.4
07/26/2006 34.7

US MPG
Old 08-08-2006, 12:30 PM   #4
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback and S13's
my last 2 tanks have fetched me between 29.8 and 30.x MPG. ALL CITY DRIVING working delivery, and it's pretty hot here in Texas (A/C full time). Amazingly, the Scangauge II is EXTREMELY precise when it comes to gas mileage. i filled up 10.48 gallons and the Scangauge stated 10.45 for 310 miles ( i believe, i need to break out the gas receipts). the other fillup was pretty close, but i wasn't at the same gas station pump so i can't say it was consistent.
Coolant temperatures stay about 186 degree fahrenheit and have gotten up to 205 a few times when it sits in direct sun idling (between deliveries).

Sorry, i'm not even keeping with my own "standards" as stated above. I haven't had enough time to get organized.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:59 AM   #5
ketel0ne

184 to 190 on the coolant temp.

4200 RPM is my peak.

Idles at about 700rpm.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:02 AM   #6
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Whats the going rate for this tool?
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 12:11 PM   #7
pauljk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris07LB
Whats the going rate for this tool?
$165 often on eBay, $169 at http://www.scangauge.com.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:13 PM   #8
pauljk

TRD-Yaris-

One other bit of useful info to add to your template is:
What speed to you generally cruise at on the highway?

Obviously, that will have a big impact on mileage.

Paul

(still waiting for my Scangauge!)
Old 08-09-2006, 01:11 PM   #9
seriousfun

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD_Yaris
... I may just put the velcro on the bottom of the scangauge and "set it" right in front of the OEM gauge cluster, angled torward the driver (obviously) and not blocking more than just the VERY TOP end of the Speedo (which i'd be using the Scangauge MPH read out, anyway..)
That's exactly where I mounted mine - this doesn't block anything for me, and I have to glance over there ocassionally to make sure I'm not hitting warp speed

Accuracy seems to be good, consistent with my mileage log in MPG, for example.

Don't leave this up there in all-day sun! The first time I did this, I thought my SGII was toast - the display wasn't readable. After it cooled-down, the display worked fine, though.
seriousfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 01:18 PM   #10
argylesocks
Bears eat beets.

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousfun
That's exactly where I mounted mine - this doesn't block anything for me, and I have to glance over there ocassionally to make sure I'm not hitting warp speed

Accuracy seems to be good, consistent with my mileage log in MPG, for example.

Don't leave this up there in all-day sun! The first time I did this, I thought my SGII was toast - the display wasn't readable. After it cooled-down, the display worked fine, though.
anyone got a picture of it mounted??
how did you run the cable to the obdII port?? i have only had the car for 12hrs, so i havent ripped it apart yet
argylesocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 01:30 PM   #11
ketel0ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljk
TRD-Yaris-

One other bit of useful info to add to your template is:
What speed to you generally cruise at on the highway?

Obviously, that will have a big impact on mileage.

Paul

(still waiting for my Scangauge!)
My avg speed for my commute comes in at 49mph most days.

I have 10 miles at 40 or below. 20 mile stretch that is 55mph (almost no traffic) 13 miles at 65mph (No traffic til toll area) and 12 miles at 55mph (Hov lane runs at about 35mph.

Prolly more info than you wanted. :)
Old 08-09-2006, 01:53 PM   #12
pauljk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketel0ne
My avg speed for my commute comes in at 49mph most days.

I have 10 miles at 40 or below. 20 mile stretch that is 55mph (almost no traffic) 13 miles at 65mph (No traffic til toll area) and 12 miles at 55mph (Hov lane runs at about 35mph.

Prolly more info than you wanted. :)
No, that's great! :-)

I'm a little envious of your numbers - we have a similar length commute, but my numbers started out a tad over 35 and lately have been going down. I've never seen a 37. This tank I'm driving VERY conservatively to see what happens. Plus I bumped the tires up to 34psi.

The cruise control may be hurting due to over-aggressive downshifting, but I'll probably need the Scangauge to pinpoint that. It does a great job of holding speed, but I'm not sure downshifting on downhill stretches does anything for FE, and the CC causes it to do that.

If I don't get the SG before this tank is up, I may drive the next tank without CC to see what happens.

Paul
Old 08-09-2006, 03:04 PM   #13
ketel0ne

I have the 15 inch tires, the sidewall max is 44psi and that is what they are at. No cruise control at all. Do the speed limit on every road unless you are coasting. The scangauge will help ALOT. I had alot of practice with it before the Yaris though, I had it in the Geo Metro for about a year and half before that. I had tanks of 50+ in that, but it didn't have air and it is very uncomfortable in comparison.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:13 PM   #14
drdavidr4u

Drives: Yaris Lftbk Black 5spd TRDrims
Please post pics of how you all mount the scanguage !!!

Thanks!
drdavidr4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:34 PM   #15
60 Somethings
Old Folks

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB, 2006 4Runner V8
We are considering a ScanGauge for our liftback, and I like the idea of housing in in the driver's glove box.

The real question is "wire routing". Would look nice with a small hole drilled in back of the 'floor' of the driver's glove box (large enough for the samller connector to pass through), then use a grommet in the hole surrounding the wire and route the cable down to the OBDII plug. Hopefully the extra cable could be hidden up under the dash - it's like a 6' cable from what thay say.

How practical is this idea?

How have current users installed theirs?

Thanks.

Last edited by 60 Somethings; 08-10-2006 at 04:19 PM.
60 Somethings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:13 AM   #16
pennystocks

Drives: 07 Civic Si Coupe(Black Pearl)
SEDAN/LIFTBACK : sedan
MANUAL/AUTOMATIC Trans : auto
A/C used much? only when hot
EXTRA WEIGHT: really just me
CITY/HIGHWAY RATIO: 90% city

With the AC on when driving around town delivering i get about 28
Normal city for me is about 30-33
Driving like a grandma is about 35-38 city
Normal driving off work is about 40
Highway is 45-50

Some old stuff from about 2000 miles or so
Quote:
46.8 - Avg miles per gallon
9.2 - miles drove
3004 - RPM max
55 - MPH max
37 MPH average (real average was 40-55 not counting stop lights)

Thats w/ like 3 full stop/starts at lights, and about 6 or so slow downs to like 20 mph (turns and wat not)

Did this one when i first got it today, just a quick test:

3.3 Mile drive
2228 Max RPM - Was Grandma'in it
37 MPH Max
24 MPH Avg - Was really 33 ish w/ the cruse on, but got caught a light, and amazingly enough, got caught at a turtle crossing the street LMAO
0.1 Gal. Fuel Used
190 Degrees F Max
53.1 MPG AVG oh yea, i love it

Latest one, all highway, no slow downs at all except one toll booth:

30.9 miles drove
3400 max RPM
61 MPH avg
51.2 MPG avg
I mounted it to the vent using zip ties later on but here are my first pics.

My only problem with it is that you cant have instant MPG and average MPG in the display at the same time. I emailed em and they said they might do this in the future. You can also hook it up to your computer, they said they're doing that later on so hopfully you can upgrade it with a laptop

Upclose:

MPG, RPM, MPH, TPS (Throttle)

fWT (water temp), fIA (air intake temp), VLT (volts duh), GPH (gallons per hour)

IGN (timing), CLSD LP (closed/open loop), LOD (engine load), MAP (manifold pressure)

pennystocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 10:38 AM   #17
pauljk

Got my Scangauge last night! :-)

And, my last tank came in at 37.5. My best so far. Maybe the temps in the high 90s we'd been having torpedoed my mileage. (I was seeing low 30s for awhile)

ketelOne:

With your 15 wheels, did you find the default speed/miles reading on the SG was dead on? I checked miles for a 5 mile stretch against mile markers on freeway this morning, and it was right on! So, I guess that means I can believe it's speed readouts without adjustment.

Paul

P.S. I'm also interested in how others have routed the cable. So far mine's in the drivers glovebox, with cable trailing down the front. Not a great long term arrangement.

Last edited by pauljk; 08-10-2006 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:56 AM   #18
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I know nothing about this equipment...does it compile previous data stored then from when the vehicle first left production?

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote