Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
JonS

Drives: 2009 3 door Liftback
Brake fluid change

Hmmm, I thought I'd found a complete how-to on a brake fluid change, but now I can't find it...just want to be sure of the steps so I don't have any extra summer projects

Jon
JonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
Search on youtube, there are good videos on how to do this.

In the Yaris, it doesn't take many pumps of the pedal to deplete the reservoir, so make sure you refill every 10 pumps or so.

To make it easier to do yourself, you can buy speed bleeder valves for $20-30.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
Lux

Drives: NCP91
I would not recommend one-man procedure/equipment unless you are good at it. This is a two-person job:
  1. Carefully fill brake fluid reservoir and leave cap open.
  2. Pump brake pedal slowly 5 times, then hold the pedal down until further notice.
  3. Person outside cracks open the bleeder lightly and wait until fluid flow slows down, then close the bleeder. 2 seconds is enough.
  4. Pelease the pedal and pump the pedal slowly 5 times again and repeat the process until a constant stream of clean brake fluid bleeds out each time.
  5. Repeat procedure for all remaining brakes. Use brake cleaner to rinse immediately after each bleed. Close reservoir cap when done.

A few important notes:
  • Bleed in the order of the farthest brake from the reservoir to the nearest.
  • Do not let the brake fluid reservoir run empty. Always maintain high fluid level during bleeding; between "MIN" and "MAX" indicators is good.
  • When holding the brake pedal down, do not release the brake pedal until the person outside has closed the bleeder. Otherwise, you will draw in air.
  • Immediately clean brake fluid thoroughly from each brake after bleeding it. Optionally, a clear tube from the bleeder nipple into a drain bucket will help control spatter.
  • Pump slowly to reduce the chance of churning/aerating the brake fluid in the lines (especially when air bubbles are present); it will make it worse.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
JonS

Drives: 2009 3 door Liftback
Thanks much for the replies!!!
JonS is offline   Reply With Quote