Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #1
annn
ヤリスワールド

Drives: 2008 HB
Unhappy WEIRD ISSUE WITH YARIS ! many problems at 1 time !

2008 yaris ,automatic.,60,000

All this came on very fast ! car was running great then started odd sluggish shifting and then downhill fast on multi problems ! very odd !

Threw a po335 code so changed the crank sensor ,no change in problem & code returned.

Problems... brake applied car dies, put in gear car dies,dash lights blink too- sometimes, power steering assist is cutting off & on too, very odd shifting issues,clunkling etc.

any clue ?
annn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
annn
ヤリスワールド

ok to add to the weirdness ! I was thinking short of some type due to the dash lights turning off when brake applied & dash going totally out when heater turned up and killing car sometimes.

So I started lookinh over wires etc and removeing anything I had installed ,well that led to the ultraguage so I unplugged it & it killed car right away ??? then it gets really weird a few lights on dash stay on like oil light when cars off & keys out of ignition ??? Then the heater fan starts runnning ?? so I think well one more reset by removeing negative batt cable wont hurt.

So i un hook cable and when re hooking it up a larger than normal spark happens ( i know this happens sometimes & normally thier is a tiny spark on resttachment) well i go back restart car and it semms fine WTF ? RE PLUG IN ultra guage and it all working again ??

I dont get it ?
Old 06-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The large spark on reconnecting the battery indicates that something is drawing significant current. The dash lights staying on with the ignition off sounds like a relay's contacts are staying closed when they should not be.

Do you per chance have an aftermarket keyless entry, remote starter, or alarm?
Old 06-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
annn
ヤリスワールド

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The large spark on reconnecting the battery indicates that something is drawing significant current. The dash lights staying on with the ignition off sounds like a relay's contacts are staying closed when they should not be.

Do you per chance have an aftermarket keyless entry, remote starter, or alarm?
No none of the above but its now trying to start when i attach the negative cable back up ?? no key in ignition ??

no recent mods of any type, has a amp ,fogs ,ultra guage thats about it for items i installed thats electrical ?

Strange that it went from shifting odd,to the po335 code , to major electric issues all in 2 days .man car has been great till yesterday ?
Old 06-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by annn View Post
No none of the above but its now trying to start when i attach the negative cable back up ?? no key in ignition ??

no recent mods of any type, has a amp ,fogs ,ultra guage thats about it for items i installed thats electrical ?

Strange that it went from shifting odd,to the po335 code , to major electric issues all in 2 days .man car has been great till yesterday ?
That is quite odd. I would pop out the ST relay and give it a couple of solid taps to see if its contacts were stuck. If it still does it after that, I would check the ignition switch connector for damaged wires and after that I would pop the cover on the ECM to see if any moisture damage has occurred.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
annn
ヤリスワールド

Your the man on this stuff , I am going through it all
Per your guide . Thank you !
Old 06-27-2013, 12:09 AM   #7
annn
ヤリスワールド

Your a god ! The st relay was causing the starter issue & maybe more. Should I replace relay ? Pal says once their bad it can happen again ? Also do you think that the st being stuck could have caused so much electrical chaos ? Car seems to be fine now , I think the crank sensor caused the initial issues with shifting and some how in all this the st relay got stuck & really caused problems . Thanks for all the help ,it was truly a correct direction !!

Last edited by annn; 06-27-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:02 AM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by annn View Post
Your a god ! The st relay was causing the starter issue & maybe more. Should I replace relay ? Pal says once their bad it can happen again ? Also do you think that the st being stuck could have caused so much electrical chaos ? Car seems to be fine now , I think the crank sensor caused the initial issues with shifting and some how in all this the st relay got stuck & really caused problems . Thanks for all the help ,it was truly a correct direction !!
Definitely replace it, as once the contacts stick they will do so again. It is possible that it was the root of all evil.