Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-09-2014, 09:26 AM   #1
LeloKunene

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06 Sedan
Is my dealer taking chances with me?

Hi everyone.

So I've just bought my first ever car, a 06 Yaris Sedan. I've had it for two months and it has about 88900km's (about 55200 miles) on the clock. It looks and feels solid, although there are sounds knocking here and there and I feel a bit uneasy when I'm driving at high speeds as it feels like the car is not stable. In anticipation of my first ever drive of over 1000kms, I took it in for a service on the weekend.

The dealer serviced it, but said it badly needs replacing of the following parts:
Clutch Kit
Stabiliser Bar links
Steering Rack ends
Tierod Ends
Multi V Belt
High Pressure Fuel Filter
Wheel Alignment
Flywheel Skimming
Rebonding of Brake Shoes
Skimming of Rear Brake Drums

He said all of this will amount to about R24000 (about US$2200). I was quite shocked and asked him if I will be able to make the 1000km trip, and he said I probably won't. So I asked him to do the brake related stuff as it sounds like the most likely to cause an accident, and i'll try think.

Given my inexperience with cars, and seeing people on this forum reaching 500k miles but only changing their clutch once, I feel like he might be exaggerating. What are the effects of not heeding his words? Do you think given the age of the car and the miles it's done, being driven in a city, it's possible that it needs that much work? And is it really unrealistic to expect that I can make my 1000km trip without causing an accident?
LeloKunene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:57 AM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I see no problem making a trip with the car as is. Just take it easy!

Except for the clutch on a Toyota I think it unusual those other parts are worn out at this point, based on my experience with these cars.

But without the car in my possession its hard to know for sure.

Have you considered getting another opinion or do you have a friend/family member who knows cars you can tunr to?

Good luck an tell us what happens!
Old 06-09-2014, 11:30 AM   #3
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I generally wouldn't see an issue with doing the 1000km trip either. The dealer is likely trying to avoid any liability of something goes wrong.

It is possible the clutch is bad but not likely if you are not noticing any clutch slippage. If the person before you rode the clutch then that could cause premature wear but you'd likely feel that.

I'm surprised there is an issue with the rear brakes. I'd check for yourself and see how much pad is left on the shoes. Rear shoes in a light car like the Yaris tend to last a very long time.

The steering work sounds likely as you are hearing a lot of noises and knocking during driving. Sounds early to have those issues unless the roads are very rough. I'd jack the car up and grab both front wheels and try to wiggle them up and own and left and right, if you get play then the steering is starting to go.

Many if those things you can do/check yourself if you're mechanically inclined. Good luck with the car, it's a great first car and extremely cheap to run especially if you do a lot of the work yourself an take good care of it.
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:12 PM   #4
jack black

Drives: 2007 red Yaris HB AT
They call them stealerships for a reason.
jack black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:55 PM   #5
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
I'd run from that dealer! Go spend $10. on a new belt, and take your trip.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:31 PM   #6
LeloKunene

Thanks everyone. . I get from what you're all saying, it seems like it's not a train smash at all. I thought my car was gonna separate into pieces while I'm driving!

Unfortunately I'm in a new city where I don't know any mechanics, and I am not too technically inclined but darnet there's YouTube videos for most of these, I should be fine.

Any thoughts on the high pressure fuel filter? That thing sounds like my petrol is going to start spilling or something. .
Old 06-09-2014, 03:11 PM   #7
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
The HPFF is pretty much designed to last the life of the car. It would only be replaced if it gets clogged with debris.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:05 PM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack black View Post
They call them stealerships for a reason.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:08 PM   #9
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeloKunene View Post
Hi everyone.

So I've just bought my first ever car, a 06 Yaris Sedan. I've had it for two months and it has about 88900km's (about 55200 miles) on the clock. It looks and feels solid, although there are sounds knocking here and there and I feel a bit uneasy when I'm driving at high speeds as it feels like the car is not stable. In anticipation of my first ever drive of over 1000kms, I took it in for a service on the weekend.

The dealer serviced it, but said it badly needs replacing of the following parts:
Clutch Kit
Stabiliser Bar links
Steering Rack ends
Tierod Ends
Multi V Belt
High Pressure Fuel Filter
Wheel Alignment
Flywheel Skimming
Rebonding of Brake Shoes
Skimming of Rear Brake Drums

He said all of this will amount to about R24000 (about US$2200). I was quite shocked and asked him if I will be able to make the 1000km trip, and he said I probably won't. So I asked him to do the brake related stuff as it sounds like the most likely to cause an accident, and i'll try think.

Given my inexperience with cars, and seeing people on this forum reaching 500k miles but only changing their clutch once, I feel like he might be exaggerating. What are the effects of not heeding his words? Do you think given the age of the car and the miles it's done, being driven in a city, it's possible that it needs that much work? And is it really unrealistic to expect that I can make my 1000km trip without causing an accident?
Very interesting. Re a few of these parts, yours is the first car I've happened to read about on YW where those parts needed replacing.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:13 PM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Thanks everyone. . I get from what you're all saying, it seems like it's not a train smash at all. I thought my car was gonna separate into pieces while I'm driving!

Unfortunately I'm in a new city where I don't know any mechanics, and I am not too technically inclined but darnet there's YouTube videos for most of these, I should be fine.

Any thoughts on the high pressure fuel filter? That thing sounds like my petrol is going to start spilling or something. .
I don't know how many of those of us who have replied have any experience re the recent condition of the roads in South Africa. A good friend of mine did a lot of driving in South Africa (he said the roads were horrendous), but he did all of that driving in the 1990s.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:43 PM   #11
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
If any of that needs replacing you need to go to the place you bought the car and start screaming. That is all stuff the dealership should have replaced before they sold the car.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:22 AM   #12
LeloKunene

Took the trip over the weekend, came back and the car is running soundly. Had no steering or clutch or braking issues throughout the way, in fact I quite enjoyed the ride. Only boggle was on my way back my radio blew up and smoke came out of the dashboard. I checked under the hood and there was nothing wrong, so I drove for over 100 more kilometers without issue (except for the deafening silence).

Thanks all! Now I just need to sort out this radio and I should be set.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:15 PM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Only boggle was on my way back my radio blew up and smoke came out of the dashboard.