Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-08-2015, 11:53 PM   #1
Freestylin

Drives: 09 Blizzard Pearl RS LB
Blitz Supercharger Belt Slip @ Higher RPM?

Just curious if anyone else experience this issue (in the topic) with the stock Blitz S/C for the Yaris (Item / Model # 10182)?

I find under hard acceleration, I'd say above 4500 RPM with my manual transmission, the serpentine belt would start to slip on the supercharger pulley (I assume) which makes a definitive squeaking / chirping noise. Under normal / hard driving conditions under 4500 RPM, there is no squeaking / chirping noise and a nice S/C whine. When I go WOT past 5000 RPM, I feel some hesitation and boost loss which I believe is due to the belt slippage. Did anyone else ever experience this situation with the Blitz kit? If so, then would this be normal or is there a solution to this issue? Is this why some people run the fixed pulley instead of the magnetic clutch pulley as supplied by the kit?

I've done some research online that smaller S/C pullies tend to slip under higher RPMs, hence why some people change them to the larger diameter ones to have more belt wrap. However, I think this will result in a loss of power in the lower RPMs since it will take longer for the compressor to make one revolution as opposed to the smaller pulley.

Would one of the solutions be to tighten the belt past the 11-13mm used belt deflection specification? I tried tightening the serpentine belt past the used belt deflection spec to about 7-8mm and the noise is less noticeable, but slippage is still there under hard driving conditions past 5000rpm. I want to tighten the belt even more, but am afraid I will put too much stress on the rest of the accessory bearings.

For reference, I am using the Gates 66" 8 ribbed belt where I split it in half as other members have recommended. Also using a MI lightweight crank pulley if that makes any difference on belt slippage.. Currently using the supplied Blitz fuel controller.
“On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.” ― Ayrton Senna

Last edited by Freestylin; 07-09-2015 at 12:06 AM.
Freestylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:16 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Belt slippage with the Blitz is a very common issue. You do have to tighten the belt beyond where you should to eliminate it (and will wear the waterpump and blitz idler bearings if you do so). The problem is that the 4 rib belt is really just too narrow for all of the things it is driving. I keep thinking that I should grab and XB crank pulley and move the AC and alternator to the outer pulley (the XB had a dual pulley, as it had hydraulic power steering).
Old 07-09-2015, 08:00 AM   #3
Black_griffin6

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic 3 door HB
I actually had this same problem. My solution was to use the Prestone belt dressing that you get from Wal-Mart. It helped my supercharger stop slipping and let me boost past 4k.

Be warned that you might break the pin on the crank pulley, I did and had to make a new one.
Try the belt dressing and see if it works.

I have a Scion xA engine laying around Scott, I think it's got the same pulley.
Black_griffin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:30 AM   #4
KTS

Drives: Vitz RS
I have some loss of boost at higher rpm. Three gauges I have tried show 9psi which drops to 6-7psi at higher rpm. I feel I have some slippage as the belt is kinda loose although I don't hear any slippage. Will tighten it and monitor. I have purchased the Goodyear gatorback belt and the gates green stripe belts to try. Will let u know if these belts work for me as they may also work for you too.
KTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:47 PM   #5
Freestylin

Thanks for your reply guys!

KTS, I have the gates green stripe belt and it slips. Heard that the gatorback is a bit more stretchy than the gates under load so I'm not sure if that will solve our problem. Please let us know how you make out with them. Thank you.
“On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.” ― Ayrton Senna
Old 07-09-2015, 04:38 PM   #6
Freestylin

Just a little update..

I managed to get rid of the belt slipping at above 5000 RPM and maintain boost by setting the deflection (across the longest span between the crank pulley and idler pulley) to approximately 4mm on my Gates green striped belt. No more squeaking / chirping! Yes!! Problem is.. I don't know how long my bearings and crank pulley pin will last though lol. I guess this comes at the cost of purchasing this Blitz kit without altering the stock pulley system.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:11 PM   #7
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I run my Gates just tight enough to "chirp" when engaging, but not to slip at higher revs. The only problem I've had so far is a failed NST crank pulley after 2+ years of hard driving and AutoX. I replaced it with an MI crank pulley 2 months ago and haven't had any other problems other than occasional slow engagement when it's cold/damp.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:38 PM   #8
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
anyone ever try and fit up a 1ZZ crank pulley?
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 02:02 PM   #9
AzianCuz
conundrum562

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007 Type S
Send a message via AIM to AzianCuz
Man my belt slipped the yesterday and that thing smelled burned. I was throttling it all the way down and it lagged period.

So I tightened the belt and sprayed brake cleaner on it. Seems to be working better now and picks up a little faster at lower RPMs. Before it took a long time.
BLITZ S/C|MICRO-IMAGE CRANK PULLEY|NST ALT;WATER PUMP PULLEY|BLITZ SUS SHORT RAM;HEADERS;AXLE-BACK EXHAUST|2.25 PIPING|1ZZ INJECTORS|OPTIMA YELLOW-TOP|GTSPEC FRONT STRUT;MID LOWER CHASSIS;4 PNT FRNT LOWER BRACE|WHITELINE REAR SWAY;BUSHINGS|TANABE FRNT SWAY|TRD LOWERING SPRINGS/SHOCKS|R1 CONCEPT DRILLED & SLOTTED ROTORS|EBC GREEN PADS|THROTTLE SPACER|XTREME PERFORMANCE CHIP MOD
AzianCuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 12:38 AM   #10
oohcory
Oohcory

Drives: 12' Yaris 2dr Liftback
Send a message via AIM to oohcory
Not sure where to post this, but would a blitz sc from an 04 Xa work on the Yaris?!
oohcory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:04 AM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by oohcory View Post
Not sure where to post this, but would a blitz sc from an 04 Xa work on the Yaris?!
Mechanically it will bolt to the block and the belt will line up, but on the intake side the throttle body mount will be wrong (as the 04 XA had cable throttle with a different bolt pattern). If you had an adapter machined you could use it.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:21 AM   #12
CrankyOldMan

Or you could find someone with a spare Yaris intake tube that would be willing to trade for the xA tubes. (The xA/xB kit is 2 parts). Pro tip: I'm probably that person.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:08 PM   #13
oohcory
Oohcory

Drives: 12' Yaris 2dr Liftback
Send a message via AIM to oohcory
Awesome! Thanks guys!

CrankyOldMan, I might just take you up on that! I'll let you know if I decide to go forth with the S/C in the next couple days!
oohcory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 12:13 PM   #14
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oohcory View Post
Awesome! Thanks guys!

CrankyOldMan, I might just take you up on that! I'll let you know if I decide to go forth with the S/C in the next couple days!
Sure thing. I just need to verify that I still have it.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:50 AM   #15
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTS View Post
I have some loss of boost at higher rpm. Three gauges I have tried show 9psi which drops to 6-7psi at higher rpm. I feel I have some slippage as the belt is kinda loose although I don't hear any slippage. Will tighten it and monitor. I have purchased the Goodyear gatorback belt and the gates green stripe belts to try. Will let u know if these belts work for me as they may also work for you too.
I had good results using the Gates belt without any belt dressing, which by the way is only intended for V belts. Using the Blitz for over 130,000 kl. it had no water pump issues and only lost the alternator, which expired, recently after it's 175,000 kl life.
For anyone here in Canada I have two new Gates belts prepared and available for sale. The car is gone.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:42 PM   #16
CrankyOldMan

I've had very good luck with Gates as well. I'm getting a LOT of squealing noise now, but that probably has to do with the amount of oil leaking from that side of the engine.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:50 PM   #17
CrankyOldMan

I just sheared the roll pin today. Damaged the pulley in the process, so I'm hesitant to put a third lightweight pulley on. Granted the NST sheared off the center of the hub, whereas the MI was strong enough to shear the pin. BlownXA had posted about this issue a long time back, but it's finally happening to me. Looks like an awesome reason to go the 2ZR route...
Old 03-28-2016, 07:57 PM   #18
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
To be realistic, that pin is intended to be no more than a locating pin to align the pulley for the timing mark. Because the pulley is really held in place with friction from the looks of the end of the crank. A solid steel pin should withstand more torque however.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote