Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2011, 10:41 PM   #1
maximapitko

Drives: Nautical Blue Yaris Sedan 5spd
4 year report

I bought the car brand new - 07 Sedan 5spd with no power options nor abs ($11400 plus tax). As of now it has 96k. I've used mobile1 since the first oil change. The vehicle gets a fresh one every 5k and it doesn't use any oil in between service intervals. I've always used OEM toyota oil filter except may be 2 times when I went with mobile1 one. I've been reading the discussion here about going to 5w20 and so I did - didn't notice any improvement in mpg and I can't really pin point what bothers me since I switched but there is something - may be engine got a little louder. I am switching back to 5w30 next time. I've replaced the oem tires at 55k with 195/60/15 pirellis (slightly bigger) - instantly I lost 2mpg but gained a lot better ride. At 70k I replaced the serp. belt as well as the spark plugs - all parts from the local dealer. During the last tire rotation I looked at the brakes - 70% life left all around which I find amazing. Such a light car is easy on the whole drivertrain. I am averaging 33mpg combined although when it gets below 0 it drops to 28-9. Since I've had it there have been only four issues:
- for some reason my ac drain tube gets plugged up every summer - it takes 30 sec to get it going again.
- o-ring on the vvti solenoid is leaking pretty good - been like that for awhile. It will be fixed this week since it's the only oil leak on the vehicle.
- the HVAC fan is starting to make noise during operation - this may be due to the lack of cabin filter (yes, I've read the diys and will make one soon) or due to the wife flooding it with ac condensation water a few times before telling me that there is a weird noise coming from the glove box area during left turns.
- stock radio used to make "static sound" during cd playback on any music cd from song 8 and up. Toyota wants $1300 for a replacement unit . It hasn't done it for the last year

Before the next oil change I'll replace the oil pan gasket and the valve cover gasket - not leaking yet but should start any time now - plus I am bored.

I am really happy with the car. I get to see many Yarises at work and to me the quality of materials is much better in the sedan compared to the HB - may be because most of the them have beige interiors and mine has black but even my mother drives a HB in europe ($25k worth of yaris - start button, auto-manual, leather steering wheel with audio control and ect) and it too (despite the black interior) feels much much cheaper inside. Anyways. The only "mod" I have on the car is HID kit from DDM - best $50 I've ever spend. The kit has hi/low and has a "plate" under the bulb which gives me a great pattern without blinding anybody. I highly recommend it. Thats about it. Hope somebody finds this helpful.
maximapitko is offline   Reply With Quote