Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #55
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
Quote:
Originally Posted by coheed View Post
Yes there are more pics of my car, but I don't feel like putting them in this thread. They are in other threads.
SO your done posting in this thread?

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:37 AM   #56
catliektheif

Drives: 2010 5 Door
i did the hd lip today it ran me about 20 bucks cause i had to buy two rolls of the double sided tape ($5 each) and the stripping ($10). i think it looks pretty cool but i dont like how i can see the double sided tape sticking out a bit. did i do it wrong?

im kind of nervous about it falling off but i have the screws and washers i just cant put them in because my drill doesnt fit under the car! i have to find time to lift it but i only have the emergency jack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
It's a rubber seal, I don't think the paint will hold, and if it does, the second the "lip" bends, the paint will crack.
with the left over weather stripping, i sprayed all purpose primer and base coat on to it. the foam absorbed the paint and it looks like it could be promising.

ignore the messy part.. i was bending it to see what it would do but while it was wet and touched it to itself.

ANYWAYS

Im thinking about picking up another pack of weather stripping tomorrow and painting it properly to see how it works out.. but after painting my eyelids, a/c control panel, foglight bezels, part of my rear bumper, and the scraps i painted.. i might need to order another can of paint first.

Last edited by catliektheif; 03-27-2012 at 10:18 AM.
catliektheif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #57
Black_griffin6

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic 3 door HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by catliektheif View Post
i did the hd lip today it ran me about 20 bucks cause i had to buy two rolls of the double sided tape ($5 each) and the stripping ($10). i think it looks pretty cool but i dont like how i can see the double sided tape sticking out a bit. did i do it wrong?

im kind of nervous about it falling off but i have the screws and washers i just cant put them in because my drill doesnt fit under the car! i have to find time to lift it but i only have the emergency jack.

with the left over weather stripping, i sprayed all purpose primer and base coat on to it. the foam absorbed the paint and it looks like it could be promising.

ignore the messy part.. i was bending it to see what it would do but while it was wet and touched it to itself.

ANYWAYS

Im thinking about picking up another pack of weather stripping tomorrow and painting it properly to see how it works out.. but after painting my eyelids, a/c control panel, foglight bezels, part of my rear bumper, and the scraps i painted.. i might need to order another can of paint first.
What kind of tape did you use? I used the heavy duty outdoor tape that is supposed to hold up to 5 pounds, and after a year my lip is still there.

You also have to be sure to use rubbing alchohol on the spot where you are applying the tape so that the spot where you're using the tape is clean and is sticking to the surface of the car and not the dirt under the car.

Post some pictures! Let's see how it turned out.
Black_griffin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #58
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by coheed View Post
Honestly I dont feel like posting more pics here and steering this thread farther away from the original topic. If you want to see more pics of my car go look at some of my other posts in other threads. If enough people ask I might do a DIY for it.
DIY please.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #59
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_griffin6 View Post
What kind of tape did you use? I used the heavy duty outdoor tape that is supposed to hold up to 5 pounds, and after a year my lip is still there.

You also have to be sure to use rubbing alchohol on the spot where you are applying the tape so that the spot where you're using the tape is clean and is sticking to the surface of the car and not the dirt under the car.

3M double sided BLACK ......

Old 03-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #60
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAV912 View Post
I had the HD lip (the soft one) and it held up fine, but I used screws as well. It was flexible so it just bent on driveways and stuff if I did hit it. I'd use the screws not so much for bumping into stuff but if any wind gets caught up under that at freeway speeds, it'll be gone quicker than Lindsay Lohan's dreams of getting off her charges.

It has since been replaced with a stiff factory OEM lip. As so:

-C
I am curious where did you find the stiff OEM lip? Toyota Dealership?

Is it unique to 2009-2010 HB?

Thanks
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:29 PM   #61
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
man, the HD lip now seems played out! I must find another lip...
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:47 PM   #62
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviri View Post
man, the HD lip now seems played out! I must find another lip...
why cause 5 people have it done??

Old 03-30-2012, 01:03 PM   #63
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOLMACH View Post

Thanks
Thanks for asking as I am curious also. Part# and pic of it installed if possible.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:14 PM   #64
catliektheif

Drives: 2010 5 Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_griffin6 View Post
sorry i havent checked yw forums in a few days but i ended up borrowing my friends jack/stands and i got under with the drill just fine. but i used the heavy duty outdoor tape too, i just wanted to make sure it would stay on..

but heres the final product + a plastidipping of my bumper lol

im actually way more satisfied with the hd lip than i thought i would be. i thought it looked cheap in pictures but seeing it in person (and on my car) it looks awesome.

oh and for anyone that was wondering, when i tried color matching the hd lip scrap, it didnt work. the paint cracked after drying. cheers!
Old 03-30-2012, 02:02 PM   #65
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Just curious, is there any mileage advantage to this or is it all for looks?

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:07 PM   #66
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by daf62757 View Post
Just curious, is there any mileage advantage to this or is it all for looks?

Looks mainly...I put one on my bumper to protect it from hitting shit and getting scratched again.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #67
DARKSCOPE001

Drives: 2011 Yaris sedan
Im thinking about doing this because the previous owner of my car took the lip of my yaris up acrost something HARD! nice and scuffed under there and the factory stock lip had 3 screws missing. (sure hope it didnt happen when i loaned my mom my car for the day ) either way I need a cover up and this looks like it.

Thanks
Sean Scott
DARKSCOPE001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:31 PM   #68
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Drives: '00 Toyota Celica GTS 6MT
Send a message via AIM to SAV912
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOLMACH View Post

Thanks
I gotta be honest, I don't know the part number. I will do some digging though. I know it isn't exclusive to hatchbacks, or the '09+s but the reason I ended up with an OEM stiff replacement is because my car got hit on the front with the original bumper and HD lip that I had installed on that.

When I got the car back from the shop after the bodywork, it had the stiff replacement lip, so I sorta scored the OEM for free.

-C

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
SAV912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:05 AM   #69
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAV912 View Post
I gotta be honest, I don't know the part number. I will do some digging though. I know it isn't exclusive to hatchbacks, or the '09+s but the reason I ended up with an OEM stiff replacement is because my car got hit on the front with the original bumper and HD lip that I had installed on that.

When I got the car back from the shop after the bodywork, it had the stiff replacement lip, so I sorta scored the OEM for free.

-C
Thanks, man

Now you have a moral obligation to find the shop technician who worked on your car and torture him till he tells you where he got this thing from (serious issue considering no aftermarket lip is available for 2009-2011 model)
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:57 PM   #70
mr.white_hb

Drives: '05 Vitz JDM
These Lips are just only Cosmetic and do not help with Fuel Economy but here's what can help fuel Eco. .... performance spark plugs and high quality spark plug wires and make your engine breath better exhaust and air intake !

mr.white_hb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #71
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.white_hb View Post
These Lips are just only Cosmetic and do not help with Fuel Economy but here's what can help fuel Eco. .... performance spark plugs and high quality spark plug wires and make your engine breath better exhaust and air intake !
Interested in your post. Have you got specifics on the wires and plugs?
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:41 PM   #72
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.white_hb View Post
WIRES?? you mean i can get rid of my COILS