Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Suggestions - Feedback - Questions
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: What do you think? (Votes are anonymous)
I like the idea and would consider paying a small monthly donation if given the chance 9 21.95%
I support the idea, although I would only be able to make a donation every now and then 22 53.66%
I support the idea but would probably never donate (just being honest) 7 17.07%
I think the current site is just fine and I don't really care about what happens to the data 3 7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2014, 09:40 PM   #73
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
I was asked off-thread to clarify exactly what my intentions are for the sake of clarity, so here it goes.

I would like a platform where the biggest accumulation of Yaris enthusiasts in the world can be proud of calling their home. I believe I can make that happen, either by becoming an admin here or somewhere else entirely. I can either build something from scratch, which is where my experience in building high-performance and high-traffic sites would come into play, or by joining another site in an admin capacity and improving the situation so as to attract YW members there.

In order to build a new site successfully, I would naturally require some help with funding, which would come in the form of VIP memberships, donations, a store, and very few high-value sponsors once the site is up and running. I would also (very much) appreciate some help in the form of member feedback. Considering that a few respected YW elders have voiced their support for such a move, I am confident that something awesome could be ready for mass consumption within a couple of months with their support.

If the decision is to concentrate my efforts within YW instead, I would have to insist on some sort of paid model for the admins and mods, as well as a budget (doesn't have to be huge) to expand the site. I can get an estimate together in a few days. But of course, communication would have to be much more forthcoming (something that I require from everyone that I deal with professionally).

Honestly, I see advantages and disadvantages to all the above options, but I think that all of the above can only be ultimately successful if a strong community is backing the decision.

I am happy to have been given the chance to lend a hand all this time, and I hope I can keep on doing it for the forseeable future.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:19 PM   #74
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Been quietly following this thread as I am torn. Since I don't care for the way the Yaris is 'maturing', my current Gen2 will probably be my last Yaris. As such, I'd prefer to live out the last of my days here.

Bueller without a doubt owns the domain name of choice, loaded with rich content which he also owns. Sure, with thread creator consent, content can be ported, but good luck finding the owners of a great deal of the valuable content. Unless the lights went out here, any new startup would be hard pressed to compete.

But as a managed website, this place absolutely sucks. In any organizational hierarchy, absentee management, lack of delegated distributed authority, ignoring and not recognizing the contribution of those working for you is a recipe for doom. The great moderator revolt of 2009 should have been a wake up call for YB. He cannot sit in isolation and pull all the strings. Hell, when I worked as a manager for the team responsible for developing and maintaining a series of corporate websites, many of those reporting to me held way more technical power. My power was in signing authority and ultimate approval of any decisions being made.

We need;

- moderators who are groomed as if succession planning was a corporate mandate.

- the appointment of new moderators to augment the 3 who are currently active. Replace those users who currently have moderator authority, but who've long ago disappeared.

- site refreshes. Quarterly site refreshes were top priority of those that I managed. Stale is a killer.

- sub-forum and content cleanup.

Good luck to you tk, and may this community live on in a progressive fashion.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:35 PM   #75
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
I'll do whatever I can. I'll pay a little subscription for added features. Whatever you decide I'll back it up
Old 04-25-2014, 08:03 PM   #76
aussie muzza

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan YRS auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
I'll do whatever I can. I'll pay a little subscription for added features. Whatever you decide I'll back it up
Me too. I back whatever is good for the continuation of the site....
I would hate to lose it - too much information.
I appreciate the access to experts.
regards Muz
aussie muzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:08 AM   #77
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
I havn't been active on here much lately but I do still chime in from time to time and often look at the threads to see what's new. I don't know if I'll own another Yaris and who knows how long I'll still have mine (currently 6 years old and 211,000 miles), but I do appreciate this forum. There's a wealth of information on here and I'd say a pretty good collective of members. This is one of the extremely very few forums that I've been on and nobody really is an ahole, act childish, etc. Just seems genuinely like a group of owners who want to improve the experience for all other owners. I've met some nice people from here and have always had great experiences in buying from sellers. I've read some funny stories and some bad ones (such as people crashing their vehicles). And if you've been around long enough, who can forget the one member who had some sort of vendetta against the forum and kept creating new U/N so he could spam the threads. I believe he was the cause of the "big crash" as well some years ago?

I do hope this forum continues to grow and be kept up. While some people may or may not own another Yaris in the future, there will no doubt be people who buy second hand Yariis and will appreciate all the information available on this forum.
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote