Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-27-2017, 03:37 PM   #1
chrisgblues

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Wierd problem RPM's revving when shifting

Hi, I have an intermittent problem with my 2007 Yaris, 4-door, manual clutch. Every once in a while when I shift gears and let the clutch out slowly and apply the gas slowly, the clutch seems to grab fine for a second, then all the sudden at the end of letting the clutch out the engine revs upp to like 3000 RPM's. So I have to reapply pressure on the clutch and start shifting again to put it back to normal. It's as if the clutch is disengaging by itself right at the end of the sweep. I'm not sure if the problem is the clutch, but that's the best way I can describe the sound/feel of it. It just started happening this past month and it's happened about 4 or 5 times. What do you think could cause this symptom? Thanks.
chrisgblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:40 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Age.

Sorry, couldn't resist smart ass reply ;)
Old 02-27-2017, 03:54 PM   #3
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
don't apply throttle with your foot still on the clutch while shifting gears.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:44 PM   #4
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Yep, don't need to give it gas when you upshift.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 03-06-2017, 01:34 PM   #5
chrisgblues

Wow, I've been shifting wrong for the last 20 years and nobody told me until now! LOL! What I don't understand is why I didn't have any negative symptoms until recently. Maybe I'm wearing out my clutch? But anyway I will try not giving gas on an upshift...wish me luck.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:52 PM   #6
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
So we know the car is 10 years old, but what we don't know is the mileage on the beast. Give us that detail and some of the old timers with manual transmissions may be able to state with relative certainty that you have possibly reached end-of-life.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:54 PM   #7
chrisgblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
So we know the car is 10 years old, but what we don't know is the mileage on the beast. Give us that detail and some of the old timers with manual transmissions may be able to state with relative certainty that you have possibly reached end-of-life.
Sorry, mileage is around 165,000 KM or 102,000 Miles

Update - the revving happened while "in gear" the other day. I was fully in 3rd gear, I was giving it a little gas while driving on a level road in the city and the RPM's shot right up to about 2500-3000 for a second or two, so I reacted by taking my foot off the gas. I then put my foot back on the gas and it went back to normal and kept driving. This was NOT during shifting, just normal driving. My foot was NOT on the clutch. My wife said the same thing was happening when she drove as well. When it happens it feels like it's in neutral for a second. Make any sense?
Old 03-14-2017, 01:58 PM   #8
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Before drawing conclusion that the clutch is shot make sure the clutch pedal is in proper adjustment. It should have about 10mm of free play. I'd also bleed the clutch line to the slave cylinder. If all that checks out the clutch is probably shot.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:27 PM   #9
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
Sounds like clutch is toast. I did mine at 125,000 it still had plenty of life but it was getting a little soft from driving the nuts off of it

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:25 AM   #10
chrisgblues

OK thanks for all the replies. I have opted to get the clutch replaced. I ordered a LUK clutch kit from RockAuto. I'm going to have my indy garage guy install it and machine the flywheel while he's at it, and change the fluid. I didn't mention but I've been living with a bit of clutch chatter for a few years, it's not super bad but I think it just supports the fact that the clutch/flywheel are not grabbing well.
Thanks again!
Old 06-29-2017, 04:02 PM   #11
chrisgblues

Just giving an update, the LUK clutch kit works great!!! (the one with the plastic throw out bearing)

It was cheap too, and fast shipping from RockAuto from the US to Canada in 2 days! Been driving on it now for about 3 months, it feels like new!

So basically I got 165,000 Kilometers out of my factory clutch, not too bad for stop-and-go city driving. I hope to get another 165,000 out of the LUK clutch, if the rest of the car holds up that long!!!
Old 06-29-2017, 05:18 PM   #12
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Glad it's working better. I've been happy with my Luk clutch as well (corolla version) grabs much better than the oem and no chatter
Old 06-29-2017, 05:33 PM   #13
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Thanks for coming back with an update.

Not only did I learn about this brand of replacement clutch and how it's been treating you, but it's a pleasant change from the folks who have an immediate issue, register on the forum, make one post asking for help, don't get a satisfactory response in 5 minutes, so leave and never return.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote