Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-14-2010, 08:38 AM   #1
Echostatic

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yairs
"The Ugly Stick" in-car camera mount

After much revision, swapping components, tweaking, polishing and comparing I feel comfortable saying that I've found an excellent and practical combination of effective vs inexpensive for mounting a camera in a Yaris. I'd like to hear what you think of "The Ugly Stick" (aka headrest mount rev. 7)

Sample footage all shot in an afternoon/evening.

And here's the finished piece on Etsy. Second "deluxe" version to follow with a full tripod tilt head with quick-release platform.

Last edited by Echostatic; 12-14-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Echostatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
Why don't you YouTube that video?
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
Echostatic

I'm going to wrap a small commercial around to go into another video project of mine - YouTube and Google suggested ads. I declined theirs and instead put in my own for stuff I make/sell.

Here's the show: http://www.youtube.com/thinkmeats

And here's the stuff I do: http://www.phreque.com

:)
Old 12-15-2010, 10:29 PM   #4
Echostatic

Aaaaand voila! YouTube full-on demo drive video!
Old 12-15-2010, 10:40 PM   #5
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
Nice!
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:36 AM   #6
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
Very stable.

I think i was one of the first persons to make a headrest mount on here. Still in the DIY section. But mine is a bit wobbly up/down, probably the bouncy ride and the stock seats have some play in terms of foward and back motion at any given locked position.

*Doesnt help that i have a flimsy Kodak Zi8, and not a broad shaped camcorder. so its top heavy.

I want to put a camera in the rear too, but only way i can of is to have a car computer and DVR it then go crazy and have cameras on all 4 corners, and watch the stream from your phone.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274

Last edited by ezhacker1; 12-16-2010 at 01:52 AM.
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:20 AM   #7
Echostatic

The cams used were both consumer grade - Sony Cybershot T99 and a Samsung M20 camcorder. I wanted something cheap and easy to go with totally-not-pro setup.

The DVR sound complicated - is there something stopping you from just mounting headrest mounts on several seats?