Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-29-2012, 02:02 AM   #1
baseballfan416

Drives: 2017 L 3-door
p0012 c.e.l.

In the past 6 months, I've had three separate instances where my check engine light has lit up. All three have been the p0012 over-retarded cam timing code. In the previous two instances, I would reset the battery, and it wouldn't come back(we're talking months between c.e.l.'s). With it coming back now a third time, I'm concerned that it may not be a faulty connection. I reset the code earlier today, cel didn't come back yet.

I've ignored it merely as an odd connection in times past because
a) it always seems to come on when I'm driving on a rough surface (i.e. 1st time was a pot hole and last two occurred while driving on uneven construction pavement)
b) it seems weather dependent (only happens when we experience somewhat drastic temp decline) and
c) the symptoms suggesting an issue are not present (no loss of mpg, hesitation, rough idle or difficulty starting).

From what I gather, the issue could potentially be an oil control valve issue (located on block by alternator)?

How does one go about removing this (only diy I could find was for corolla)? Can it be cleaned/adjusted and put back in before buying an entirely new one? Is this even something to worry about? Car's out of warranty (07 with 80k miles)...
baseballfan416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:51 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The OCV is easily accessed and removed with one bolt. If you had your belt changed (or service done where the mechanic tightened the belt), then the OCV could have been physically damaged.

As for cleaning it, there is a plug directly beneath it on the block. If you remove that plug there is a screen filter that can be cleaned.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
baseballfan416

belt hasn't been changed yet... probably will be in the not too distant future.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:07 AM   #4
baseballfan416

pulling this out from the dark...

Does anyone have access to the tsb for this cel code? I keep getting the code, clear the code, and then a month later it comes back (comes on during harder than normal acceleration, primarily coming around a corner like on a roundabout or freeway on ramp). I'm pretty confident the connection has to be faulty, but I'd like to have the dealer dink around with it before I try.

The link below lists that this cel code has a tsb, but when you click on the link it's dead.

http://engine-codes.com/p0012_toyota.html
Old 12-27-2012, 06:44 AM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

T-EG010-07 (M.I.L. ON DTC P0011, P0012, or P0016).pdf
Old 12-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
baseballfan416

Thank you CTScott.

But wow, that sucks... tsb's only good for 60k? Such a simplistic car and yet so buggy... cel went off on it's own...
Old 12-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballfan416 View Post
Thank you CTScott.

But wow, that sucks... tsb's only good for 60k? Such a simplistic car and yet so buggy... cel went off on it's own...
The TSB provides a simple Techstream procedure for verifying if the issue is the timing gear, or if it is the VVTI oil control valve. The OCV can easily be damaged during a belt change, and also it has a filter screen mounted below it that can get plugged over time.

Since you are over the TSB coverage period, I would start with either having someone try the test procedure with the TechStream tool, or with checking the OCV for damage and cleaning its filter screen.