Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-18-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
Maxh91

Drives: Red 3 Dr HB 2008 Auto.
Question Cruise control recall in Canada?

I have a friend who work to the same dealer where i bought my car and he told me that the cruise control Toyota installed in my car had a problem and Toyota remove the cruise control.
He told me that my name was in the list. He didn't know enough about that to explain everything but only that there are a recall and Toyota remove them from the car for now.

*The cruise control has been install by the dealer.

*Update*
http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/...chResult&pg=-1
Attached Images

Last edited by Maxh91; 10-20-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Maxh91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
mryaris

Drives: 2010 Carmine Red hatchback
Was this factory installed or did the dealer install it when you bought the car? Either way, it sounds odd that they just removed it from your car. Did they compensate you or anything?
Old 10-18-2010, 08:26 PM   #3
Maxh91

The dealer installed it after i bought the car. Looks like they remove the cruise control for the moment and when they find a fix, they install a new one. I can't find information about that recall on the internet.

Edit: The dealer, not Toyota
Old 10-18-2010, 09:37 PM   #4
mryaris

Drives: 2010 Carmine Red hatchback
Interesting. I suppose there was an issue with the aftermarket units, although I'm not sure what that could be. As long as they reinstall a "good" one later then I would have no problem with that. Although if it takes a long time to fix I would try to get something for the inconvenience/

Good luck and let us know how it gets resolved.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:30 AM   #5
Maxh91

Ok, I found a link on the Transport Canada Website about the recall.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:23 AM   #6
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
this recall is not that bad ..you dont have to have it taken off.. its only if ur using a 2 way radio in the car..which i never do..but worst come to worst it says it fluctuates your revs while using a 2 way radio..

although you can have them take it off and get your money back and but an after market for a lot cheaper cost..i believe its $450 cnd to have that on..do the diy that cost less than $20 buck then ur up by the difference..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:29 AM   #7
Maxh91

If they change the cruise control, i would remove it but if its is only an interference problem, i keep it. I hope they change it...
Old 10-19-2010, 10:55 AM   #8
SpaceShot

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5 speed HB
Thanks for posting.
I bought that same unit and installed in myself here in the states. While I don't think the 2-way radio interference problem will affect me, I might take some time to put a metal shield around the unit the next time I do some work under the dash.
SpaceShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:28 PM   #9
brg88tx

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan, Auto
i have the exact same rostra cruise installed on my 07 auto sedan and it has worked flawlessly.
brg88tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:00 AM   #10
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
I've used mine for thousands of miles with zero issues. This sounds like it would be of concern for taxi, commercial or emergency vehicles Yarii. Not an issue for most of us.

EDIT: My letter from Toyota Canada arrived in the mail yesterday (Oct.20).
As I don't use two way radios I'll disregard this recall as they're not offering any corrected replacement, but rather a refund, which won't control the speed of my car.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.

Last edited by MUSKOKA800; 10-21-2010 at 08:01 PM.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:10 PM   #11
teddy

Drives: 2008 5-door hatchback
Send a message via MSN to teddy
I got the letter for the recall in the mail. It says Toyota and Rostra have done investigations and there is no safety issue. They simply recommend we have it removed for a full refund in order to retain our confidence or something other in Toyota. It says if we choose not to have it removed, to avoid using 2-way radios.

Funny thing is, it's not just using a 2-way radio, it's using them at specific frequencies AND in close proximity to the rostra unit.

I'm hoping I can get them to remove it and install the OEM stalk. If they won't, it stays. The ~$500 would be nice to get back but I do too much highway driving to do without my cruise control now.
teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:56 PM   #12
brg88tx

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan, Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy View Post
I got the letter for the recall in the mail. It says Toyota and Rostra have done investigations and there is no safety issue. They simply recommend we have it removed for a full refund in order to retain our confidence or something other in Toyota. It says if we choose not to have it removed, to avoid using 2-way radios.

Funny thing is, it's not just using a 2-way radio, it's using them at specific frequencies AND in close proximity to the rostra unit.

I'm hoping I can get them to remove it and install the OEM stalk. If they won't, it stays. The ~$500 would be nice to get back but I do too much highway driving to do without my cruise control now.
if you do have it removed, make them replace that piece of plastic around the steering wheel, or you'llhave a hole left where they drilled.
brg88tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:27 PM   #13
teddy

I just got an email back from the dealership. They say if I choose not to have it removed they need to have it recorder with a signature on one of their work orders.

The response said they OEM cruise is not available to them for installation. I don't know if that means they won't install it or if they can't get the part at all.

I'll probably get them to remove it (and replace the plastic around the steering wheel) and install the cruise on my own. Will still come out ahead. The cost to have this one installed was far more than I think it was truly worth.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:58 AM   #14
denrus
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris Hatchback 07
When I bought the 07 Yaris - a 40,000km lease-back, I had the Rostra installed. It worked fine for about 6 months, then demonstrated the pattern that the recall note described and it cut in and out, would change speeds erratically and would die for long periods of time. The dealership spent a lot of time on it at no cost to me. No difference. I'm going to take them up on their offer to remove it, pay me back, then get another installed. I need a cruise control!
denrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:12 AM   #15
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
here in the states my wife's Rostra intermittently doesn't work, she'll set it and it will just cancel itself (stop holding a selected speed) or she will try to set it and it won't do anything...
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:18 PM   #16
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Occasionally ( perhaps 1 in 20 tries) mine will not take a set. I switch it off, then on again and it sets fine.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:38 AM   #17
cabinfevrr

Drives: 2008 yaris 5door RS
I have the rostra cruise unit. I'm keeping it. when we bought the car, I was actually a salesdick at the dealership...so on paper i sold the car to my wife...

it was a $489+tax option, we wanted cruise, and it was the only cruise option that would work with the warranty, so we got it. at the time, may 2008, there was no factory cruise option, only the dealer installed option. we use it constantly on the highway.

so, I'm a Firefighter and Medic, and i actually do carry and use a 2way vhf radio, and when i'm driving, i typically stick it in the driver's cupholder...which i've been warned against doing. the catch is, according to the letter, it's only susceptible to interference when the radio is in transmit mode. i never transmit when it's sitting in the cupholder, and also according to the letter, it's only a possible scenario when the cruise is activated. when i'm on the highway, leaving my community, i'm no longer on call, so my radio is off anyway.

the reason i'm keeping it, is because i feel the reaction from the dealership has fell short. unlike others, the only option for the "recall" (it's not a recall if all they are doing is removing it and not replacing it), is for them to remove it free of charge. no refund was offered, and it was not an option when i inquired. they will also not install a cruise unit in it's place, so it really does sound like a great deal, doesn't it?

I'll chance it, but like i said, using my radio and using my cruise will not coincide.

the car is at the stealership right now getting it's 65,000 km maintenance service, front brake service, and acc belt replacement. they told me i'd have to sign a waiver saying i didn't want it removed - i'm going to refuse to sign it, based on my lack of support of toyota's decision that i don't need cruise control.
cabinfevrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:51 AM   #18
teddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brg88tx View Post
if you do have it removed, make them replace that piece of plastic around the steering wheel, or you'llhave a hole left where they drilled.
When I had the Rostra unit removed they left the steering column cover with a hole in it. I didn't like it but it wasn't worth the effort to argue.

Just brought my car in today to have my winter tires removed and get an oil
change. Turns out the reason they left the old cover was because the part wasn't available then and they put a new one on . I've got OEM cruise now (thanks to CTScott and others in the DIY forum) and no hole.