Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-24-2008, 01:04 PM   #1
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
Dealer wants me to come back in. Change in financing?

I got a voice mail from the finance manager that dealed w/ me at my Toyota dealer. He said that they got my financing approved, BUT there's a change in some of the terms and the monthly payment.

The yellow sheet I signed when I went home with the car said my payment would be $253 a month at 84 months.

I have the car now. They let me drive off with it when I signed that yellow sheet. Now they want me to come back in and sign a new yellow sheet with the new financing and monthly payments ($311 a month at 66 months).

Why did they let me drive the car off the lot if they couldn't get the financing terms I agreed and signed for the day I drove the car off the lot? I've had this car now for a week.

I guess I'm going to return this car and get the one I traded in back.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:18 PM   #2
thatboyjer

Drives: 5spd 2007 Yaris LB
that sounds awfully odd....

[Debadged] [Tanabe DF210] [Limo Tint][17" Fondmetal Wheels] [Pioneer HU]
--:: Wishlist, PM me ::--
[SSK (WTB)] [Black Sand Pearl Eyelids (WTB)]
thatboyjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:22 PM   #3
DMart
same amount of posts lol

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic LB
if u signed the paper i dont think they can do anything
DMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:23 PM   #4
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Didn't we already go over this before the hack
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:50 PM   #5
Forrest

Drives: 08 LB BLACK
This happened to several people before the posting were lost on this forum. Many of them decided that they were going to tell the dealer they were not going to come back in and if the dealer wanted the car, to come and get it.
Someone also had pointed out that there is a three day period for changes. Have you had the car more than three days?

I would hold your ground.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:05 PM   #6
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
my payment changed too but i got a letter from toyota motor credit and they actually decreased my interest rate and it saved me $15 a month
Old 10-24-2008, 02:23 PM   #7
IsLNdbOi

I've had the car since last Saturday. I've heard about that 3 day thing, but I'm not sure if it works / applies to me here in NV.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:35 PM   #8
IsLNdbOi

Hmmm... Just browsed through the state of NV dmv website and found this:

http://www.dmvnv.com/nvreg.htm

Quote:
Be certain to read and understand the sales or lease contract before you buy any vehicle. Do not sign a contract which contains blank spaces. Nevada does not have a right of rescission or any "cooling off" period for the buyer. Dealers must use standardized contracts as outlined in Nevada Administrative Code Chapter 97.

Nevada dealers must issue the following documents to the buyer:

Copies of any contract, lease agreement, warranty, etc.
A temporary movement placard dated to expire 30 days from the date of the sale
A passing emissions inspection if required
A drive train inspection report on used vehicles which have an odometer reading of 75,000 miles or more
A Dealers Report of Sale (DRS or "green slip")
Dealers may or may not issue the DRS at the time of the sale. If financing on the vehicle has not been finalized, the dealer may take up to 15 days to arrange financing. If financing cannot be finalized, the dealer then has the right to rescind the sale and require the return of the vehicle. Alternately, the dealership itself may finance the vehicle. Or, the dealer may ask the buyer to sign a new contract with different terms. The buyer is not obligated to accept a new contract.

Does this mean that if I avoid them for 9 more days (today is the 6th day I've had the car), they can't require me to return the vehicle?
Old 10-24-2008, 03:04 PM   #9
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
Hmmm... Just browsed through the state of NV dmv website and found this:

http://www.dmvnv.com/nvreg.htm

Does this mean that if I avoid them for 9 more days (today is the 6th day I've had the car), they can't require me to return the vehicle?
that bold section says the dealer will REPOSES THE CAR
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:47 PM   #10
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Do the math. 253 X 84 = 21252
311 X 66 = 20526
You save $ 726

I don't think that the dealer is jacking up the interest rate. For an extra $58/month you save $726 and 1 and 1/2 years of payments. Go to your credit union first and see if you can get a better deal. Also 7 years of car payments seem like a long time. 1 in 5 of will probably own the same car 7 years from now.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:57 PM   #11
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
First of all ....... never finance a depreciating asset for 84 months. That is not right and it should have NEVER been offered. The longer the term the higher the rate!

The change in finance is better for you and it will save you money during the term of the loan.

Financing cars is based on credit history and income. With the present financial crisis that has been going on ..... consider yourself lucky to even get a loan.

How many new cars have you kept 5 years? 6 years? 7 years? What did you trade in? What was the balance due on the car you traded in? If there was anything due on it was it rolled into the new car?

When I was in the car business we knew that any loan over 60 months would bury a person. Do not buy a car with emotion.

What if any "extras" are included? Maintenance? Warranty? GAP?

Going back ...... not too long ago...... 36 month loans were the standard and they slowly moved to 48 then 60. Presently, my bank will not make an 84 month loan unless I borrow over $20,000.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:07 PM   #12
IsLNdbOi

I knew it would be cheaper overall w/ the new financing terms they want me to sign. All I added though when going through financing on this car for the first time was GAP. I didn't get any of the extended warranties after seeing ppl's opinions here on these extended warranties
Old 10-24-2008, 05:28 PM   #13
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
The dealer definitely doesn't want to take the car back; it would have to be sold as a used vehicle. You actually have the upper hand here. I would go back in and renegotiate the terms of the contract, specifically the interest rate in this case.

If you're a payment buyer, then pick a number you're comfortable with; for example $300/mth/66mths. Then, tell the dealer you can only handle handle $275/mth/66mths. Be willing to sit patiently and hold your ground until the finance manager sharpens his pencil. In all likelihod, you will end up leaving with a payment of less than the $311 he's hit you with in the voicemail.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:37 PM   #14
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
The dealers make car loans on their rate. Ask to see the buy rate and ask for the loan at the buy rate. The dealer still makes a flat fee on every car loan. The buy rate is usually 1 to 1.5% less than whet you are financed at.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:41 PM   #15
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
The problem you are facing is not new , but due to the world wide credit crunch , financeing firms are eathier not taking on new customers or shortennig terms to 36 months.
In New Zealand yesterday two car financeing firms closed up shop because they could not get credit from overseas company's.
Also here the Vehicle if purchased with finance will not be released until finance
has been confirmed and paid.
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:29 PM   #16
IsLNdbOi

Well, I went back to the dealer this afternoon after first stopping by the DMV across the street from the dealer. The people at the DMV said that I have to accept the new terms of the financing or my registration won't be transferred to the new Yaris. The dealer wouldn't give me the green sleep to do it.

Anyway, I save a couple of hundred with the new financing. $310 a month for 66 months. Right before signing the new sheet, I asked them if they could throw in an extended warranty at no extra charge since they caused me this inconvenience.

They ended up giving me a Toyota Extra Care Gold plan for 6 years / 75000 miles at no extra charge. That's pretty good for me. I owned my previous 3-door LB for 2 years and only had 17.5k miles on it. I'm also getting a refund on the GAP and extended warranty I bought for the previous LB and I don't start paying until mid January.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:42 PM   #17
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
not too shabby
Old 10-24-2008, 10:50 PM   #18
IsLNdbOi

One thing I requested though that I was adamant about was that they get me one with the holes for the front license plate NOT drilled out yet.

Well, when the one I had was rolled off the truck the holes were drilled out! So, right now I've put the license plate frame screws into the holes to cover them up and then put the chrome screw covers over them. Doesn't look too bad. Their collision center and body shop is supposed to "fix" the holes next week and they're giving me mud guards and a rear bumper protector.