Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-20-2011, 11:53 PM   #1
NickNickNick

Drives: 06 Silver Yaris 3-door Manual
Grinding noise in reverse

So, after replacing the engine and clutch in my 2006 Yaris, it's been driving just swimmingly for the past 6 weeks.

But, today, I noticed a strange noise (a lower-sounding grinding) when I put the car in reverse. Obviously, it's a manual transmission. Like I said, I just had the clutch replaced about 6-7 weeks ago. The grinding doesn't shake the whole car or anything, it's just a brief low rumble that can be heard about 60% of the time when I start into reverse (ie, when I begin to idle the engine higher and as I start to let the clutch out). It almost sounds the same as when you get a little packed snow or ice into the undercarriage. I have included a link to a video where the sound can be heard. It's the low grinding just when I start to move backwards.

It also doesn't seem to happen all the time - if I let the clutch out really slowly, it makes no sound. If I just give it a little gas and shift to neutral right away, it makes no sound. Only seems to make a sound when I let the clutch out completely - and even then not all the time.

Anyone know what this new problem could be?

Thanks.

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqhlglTIZoU
NickNickNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
harda toenail

Drives: Want a yaris
Bump for an old thread. My reverse sounds like the one in the video. Is this normal?

Edit: This is a normal noise :)

Last edited by harda toenail; 03-04-2013 at 01:46 PM.
harda toenail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
harda toenail

Bump. Want to know if this sound is something to worry about
Old 07-22-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
willygoodness

Drives: 09 yaris hb
sounds like a hard rubber rubbing on something sound. maybe a tear in cv boot?
willygoodness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
harda toenail

How would I check that out?
Old 07-23-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
willygoodness

Drives: 09 yaris hb
I would just turn the steering wheel to full lock and have a look at the drive shafts and see if there's anything dangling or torn.

Hopefully it can be found that way or someone with a bit more smarts than me can help out :)
willygoodness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #7
harda toenail

I don't think it's a cv boot. If rolling backwards in neutral or with the clutch disengaged it doesn't make the sound. It has to be the reverse gear
Old 09-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
Dave78
I've made a post!

Drives: 2012 yaris 3 door L
reverse noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by harda toenail View Post
Bump for an old thread. My reverse sounds like the one in the video. Is this normal?
I just bought a new 2012 yaris. My reverse makes the high pitched grinding noise, has anyone figured this out?
Dave78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #9
esse10

Drives: 2009 yaris 2 door
normal

I believe it's normal for reverse gear. Mine does the same noise and so did several other manual tranny cars I had in the past. Good luck folks. Besides you only move about 10 feet in reverse , you're not gonna drive a miles or two in revers, hope not.LOL
esse10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #10
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
All reverse gears in manuals cars make the noise in the video. It is because they are 1:1 gears, and they are usually non synchro gears as well. Think racing dogbox sound. That is 100% normal.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #11
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
I watched the YouTube video .... and having driven a standard shift vehicle for about 32 years I don't hear anything abnormal with what I am hearing in that video. Reverse is always different and generally more touchy than going forward. It is kinda like driving in first gear .. not something that you do a lot of or for a long period of time.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #12
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
All I heard was someone driving in reverse... sounds normal to me.

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #13
harda toenail

Yea I took my mom/stepdad's yaris for a drive. Same noise. All is well I guess. Thanks guys!
Old 03-07-2013, 10:33 PM   #14
walt101786

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris Hatch-Back
it is normal...the way how the manual transmission are designed is that once u put into gears...it is made in helical gears, meaning it is curve and when gears are locked into each other it doesnt make any noise at all...as matter of fact it is very quiet...but for reverse gear...it is made in spurs gear...meaning it is made in straight gears and when we put it into reverse gear. the straight edges are engage and it will make that winding noise...to answer your concern...it is normal to make that sound when u put it in reverse...hope this help..and i am sure that some of us in here agrees to what im saying and some of us here also mentioned the same thing as well :D
walt101786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:10 AM   #15
Sedan

Drives: '08 Manual Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt101786 View Post
it is normal...the way how the manual transmission are designed is that once u put into gears...it is made in helical gears, meaning it is curve and when gears are locked into each other it doesnt make any noise at all...as matter of fact it is very quiet...but for reverse gear...it is made in spurs gear...meaning it is made in straight gears and when we put it into reverse gear. the straight edges are engage and it will make that winding noise...to answer your concern...it is normal to make that sound when u put it in reverse...hope this help..and i am sure that some of us in here agrees to what im saying and some of us here also mentioned the same thing as well :D
Hi,

New to the forum. Have the same issue and if you listen to it carefully the noise can be heard when on the first gear at a higher rpm as well. I was told to replace gear oil by my mechanic but that did not take care of the sound.

Anyways, it seems like a normal thing inherent to the Yaris. (did not get the same issue in other cars I have driven).
Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote