Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
daveg7

Drives: yaris
Yarris cdx 00' buggered a few issues, please help

I have a Yaris CDX .998l , 00' jap import that is buggered up, It was running fine then when to start it and it was turning but not starting, someone at work said the battery was low and got his jump leads out i connected them up on my end and after about a minute I lost all the dash and it wouldnt even turn, I quickly checked his conections and he had connected the jump leads around the wrong way around, I disconnected straight away, I checked the fuses inside and all were ok, but in the engine 3x15 amp fuses were blown and on the battery power cable one of the 100 amp fuses was blown i replaced the 3x15 amp fuses, but each time i turn the engine it the EFI 15 amp fuse blows I, then tried to reconnect the 100amp fuse by simply re-pressing the strip wire together and the dash came back but the EFI 15amp fuse now blows when a new one is placed even when no key is in the ignition, called AA and he said that his system can not speak to the ECU but it is displaying on dash for a spit second befoe fuse blows and i would probably need a new one? have sourced a used ECU import with identical model number and part number. so if I simply swap the ecu over will this stop the efi 15amp from blowing and will i need to reprogram my origanal keys to start it or is there another problem, please tell me its not a total loss? the centeral locking is also not working would this be due to the ecu being buggered, and if all is ok with that? what stoped the car from starting in the first place?

all help in greatly appreciated
daveg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Try unplugging the connectors from the ECM and replacing the fuse to see if it then does not blow. That will at least verify that the ECM has an internal short from the reverse polarity.

If your Yaris has the transponder keys, then a replacement ECM would need to be reprogrammed for your existing keys using the Toyota service tool. Besides the ECM, the other computers within the car could have gotten damaged as well. The Transponder key amplifier, Body ECU (which controls the power locks), the Wireless Door Lock Receiver (which receives the RF signal from the key fob and relays it to the Body ECU) could all potentially be damaged as well.

I don't think it is a total loss, but it may take a bit of work to bring it back to life. I would start with the ECM test above, and then if the fuse does not blow with the ECM unplugged, I would order one and replace that first. While the ECM is unplugged (and if the fuse does not still blow) try the power locks to see if they now work.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
daveg7

Firstly thanks for the Help CTScott
When I disconnected the ECU and turned the engine the fuse did not blow and the centeral locking system from the key fob works ok.
Does this surgest that the receiver, amplifer and body ECU are ok?
And would i be able to reprogram the new ECU to the keys using the manual key reprograming method that is used to add new keys? I have no clue what a toyota service tool is.

Last edited by daveg7; 03-01-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg7 View Post
Firstly thanks for the Help CTScott
When I disconnected the ECU and turned the engine the fuse did not blow and the centeral locking system from the key fob works ok.
Does this surgest that the receiver, amplifer and body ECU are ok?
And would i be able to reprogram the new ECU to the keys using the manual key reprograming method that is used to add new keys? I have no clue what a toyota service tool is.

That is actually a good sign. Without the ECM being alive you can't tell yet if the key amplifier is OK, but hopefully with the others being OK it is as well.

For programming the keys, I am not sure about the 1st gen Yaris, but with the 2nd gen, to program new keys, without having an original "master key", a special piece of Toyota service equipment is required, so you would have to get the car to the dealer to have it reprogrammed (and of course it won't actually start until you do so).

Since the ECM is definitely bad, take it out, remove its cover, and lets see if there is visible damage. Sometimes there is a sacrificial component that will pop with reverse polarity and simply replacing that one component will bring the device back to life.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
daveg7

thanks i will try and take it off tomorrow when it light and have a good look.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:00 AM   #6
daveg7

Hi I have taken the ECU off and opened it up, and can see no apparent damage at all. what does this mean?
Old 03-02-2013, 06:32 AM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg7 View Post
Hi I have taken the ECU off and opened it up, and can see no apparent damage at all. what does this mean?
It could be that what was damaged did not catastrophically fail. Can you snap some pictures of the inside?
Old 03-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #8
daveg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
It could be that what was damaged did not catastrophically fail. Can you snap some pictures of the inside?
if you need any close-up's of different areas just say.
If the ECU is ok could it be the connection cable?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7074.JPG (143.2 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7075.JPG (149.7 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7077.JPG (141.4 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7078.JPG (193.1 KB, 61 views)
Old 03-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Those are perfect pictures. If you were in the US, I would say to pop it in the mail to me and I would power it up on the bench and try to trace the power flow. If I had to guess, from the images, I would suspect either the giant diode (the cylindrical guy laying on its side, next to the vertical brown cylindrical guys), or one or more of the capacitors (the brown cylinders).
Old 03-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
Caps would not do it, but a shorted diode would. I'd change the diode, and try it again.
UberSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberSilver View Post
Caps would not do it, but a shorted diode would. I'd change the diode, and try it again.
Reverse polarity on an electrolytic cap can certainly result in a short.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #12
daveg7

thanks for the great help and info.
I have no electrical shops near I will try to find a local tv repair shop and ask them to test my diode and caps.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #13
daveg7

Hi, I could not find anyone willing to test diode, but spare used ECU arrived that I brought on ebay, so I thought it was worth a try, engine turned but did not fire and the 15 amp EFI fuse did not blow, so i thought id double check the original ECU and the car started, so I drove it around for a few minutes around the circuit, and restarted the car a few times, checking the 15 amp EFI fuse and all was fine, then tried again to start again and would not start check EFI 15 amp and its blowing each time I turn engine,does the fact the car started mean that the ECU is ok? would there be any another reason why the 15amp EFI keeps Blowing? thanks David

Last edited by daveg7; 03-07-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

The EFI fuse directly feeds the EFI relay, the ECM, the C/OPN relay (which feeds the fuel pump), the airflow meter, the evaporative VSV valve, the ISC valve, and the two O2 sensors.

So, besides the ECM, it could be any of those other devices. The fact that it worked for a bit after pulling, swapping, and re-swapping the ECM, makes me wonder if one or more of the ECM connector wires go hot enough to melt through the insulation, and was touching. That would be easy enough to take a look at.

If that is not the case, then the next thing would be to disconnect the battery and measure the resistance to ground from the EFI fuse's output (using a multimeter). If the resistance is less than 2 ohms, then you would disconnect one device from the list above at a time (starting with the ECM) until you see the resistance suddenly jump up. When the resistance jumps up, the device that you just disconnected is the culprit.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #15
daveg7

Hi Scott
I have checked the ECU wires going in to the connection and can see no damage or any visable damage to the ecu wiring loom, I disconnected the battery and connected up a auto mulimeter and switched to ohms, i then grounded the negitve lead to the chasis and used the positive to test the resistance on the fuses all fuses including the EFI fuse were displaying readings of about 5 ohms - I assume i was using it correctly. I then tried again to use the ebay brought ECU but the EFI fuse blew straight away, but I also noticed a small plume of smoke comming from the the area where the loom leading from the positve connection of the battery goes under the air filter, toward the center of the engine (the ECU loom branches off about a foot before this) I then reconnected the original ECU and replaced EFI fuse and car started, I ran engine for about ten minutes there was no dash warning lights or any more smoke so switched off and disconnected the battery as a precautionary measure.
I also used the volt meter to check battery before engine running(12.5v) and after(14.2v) so I am assuming battery and alterator are not damaged? and there is no longer an issue with the centeral or remote locking scince I charged the battery a two days ago, so I am assuming there is no damage to remote or door sensors? and assuming that scince the car has started twice with original key and ECU that there are no immobliser isssues?
Old 03-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #16
CTScott
ULTIMATE

It sounds like the only problem is that damaged wire near the air filter. Did you find the damaged area and repair it?
Old 03-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #17
daveg7

it too dark here now, just know a rough area to check, I have'nt got a decent torch, will check if i can see any damage tomorrow but I think I am going have to get a mobile tech in to sort it, as i am no wiring expert. Thanks You have been a great help all the way and it has been really apreciated, will let you know what I find, thanks again, David.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:40 AM   #18
daveg7

I took the air filter off and had a look at the cables but I can see no damage at all I checked what connetions I could reach or could see visualy and gave engine a good clean up, car still starting ok but I think I will book it in to a garage and ask them to check it over before I take the kids out in it. Its a total mystery, I am hoping that the smoke burned off what ever was causing the short?