Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-23-2006, 08:14 PM   #649
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_o
argylesocks... from what i understood in your post when you said coasting in N is that you shift to N when coasting at high speed then shift it back to D when you start to slow down to speed up... is that right? will not this be harmful on your tranny?

i have been driving stick shifts for centuries until i shifted to auto tranny, my friend noticed me shifting to N (to conserve gas and help braking) when stopping before the car completely stops, he said this is harmful because of some pressure on the auto tranny. i don't know if this is true for your case of coasting in N then shifting back.

I sometimes put the car in neutral (I have an auto as well). Anyway rarely or even at all I put my car in neutral at highway speeds but if there is little traffic I will put it in neutral and coast to a stop. It will harm your tranny if you're going highway speeds and you coast in neutral and if you accelerate then put it in drive its hard on the tranny but then again doing that in general hurts or wears the parts down faster. Hope that makes sense. When you reach lower speeds and slowing down you can down shift and use engine breaking instead of neutral, then put it in neutral while sitting there. I guess remember if coasting in neutral can be dangerous in case you have to make an evasive manevure so don't do it in heavy traffic (rush hour) but I guess that's a give-in cause I'm sure if traffic was that heavy you can't really coast. I probably confused you even more but that's what I'm here for
Old 09-23-2006, 10:52 PM   #650
jeff_o

Drives: 07 Yaris
Send a message via ICQ to jeff_o Send a message via MSN to jeff_o Send a message via Yahoo to jeff_o
uhhmmm i've heard about some techniques in down and upshifting on automatic trannies... but how do you do that? do you flick the gas pedal or something? sorry this will be my last OT post :D
jeff_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 11:59 PM   #651
sam07yaris

Drives: 07 yaris sedan (silver) STICK
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickNickNick
Your engine light's on.

nope I just put it on IGN III
Old 09-24-2006, 12:05 AM   #652
sam07yaris

Quote:
uhhmmm i've heard about some techniques in down and upshifting on automatic trannies... but how do you do that? do you flick the gas pedal or something? sorry this will be my last OT post :D

It's heel toe downshifting. For ex: When coming off the highway for your exit, you put your car on the outside curve going in *to the apex* and put the clutch in, BLIP the throttle. < On the yaris you have to kinda hold it there for a millisecond since it takes time for the throttle body response to open up* then shift down to the next gear and release the clutch. Doing this puts less strain on the gears when you slow down or come to a stop. If you are doing it correctly< and I mean CORRECTLY, your car will come to a SMOOTH transition without budging to a stop or when exiting off an off ramp. Any budge and transfer of motion to the front and your tranny's hurtin.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:24 AM   #653
jeff_o

Drives: 07 Yaris
Send a message via ICQ to jeff_o Send a message via MSN to jeff_o Send a message via Yahoo to jeff_o
hmmm haven't done it but i think i can imagine how you do it from the way you explained it :) i probly need a lil more practice.. thanks guys for sharing anyways :)
jeff_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 01:20 PM   #654
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:

For automactic you just move the shifter selector down to 2nd, or L gear, some cars are set up 3rd, 2nd, and L, but either way its obviously a lower gear. DON'T have your foot on the gas while shifting to a lower gear or even up. Position D is obviously the most ideal selection for driving, I've heard some people trying to drive their cars like a stick with an auto...starting in L gear then going up to Drive, but don't, it puts more wear and tear on your tranny and its just not made for that cause well, its an Automactic! Anyway as I said earlier, don't be shifting at high speeds, its not good for the tranny cause its taking a beating to the high reving engine-at least for auto. Hope tha helps
Old 09-24-2006, 02:03 PM   #655
sam07yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECHOKnight2000
For automactic you just move the shifter selector down to 2nd, or L gear, some cars are set up 3rd, 2nd, and L, but either way its obviously a lower gear. DON'T have your foot on the gas while shifting to a lower gear or even up. Position D is obviously the most ideal selection for driving, I've heard some people trying to drive their cars like a stick with an auto...starting in L gear then going up to Drive, but don't, it puts more wear and tear on your tranny and its just not made for that cause well, its an Automactic! Anyway as I said earlier, don't be shifting at high speeds, its not good for the tranny cause its taking a beating to the high reving engine-at least for auto. Hope tha helps

sorry i read the member's post too quickly. Thought me was asking for a manual
Old 09-24-2006, 02:27 PM   #656
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECHOKnight2000
Yeah, I've seen an automatic tranny in a Grand Prix basically self destruct from someone having their foot on the gas and dropping the gear at the same time. Big no-no.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 07:15 PM   #657
argylesocks
Bears eat beets.

Drives: Yaris LB
best tank yet...

drove up to burlington, vt this weekend for a race. had my bike/wheels on the hatch rack.

414.1miles / 9.36gal = 44.2mpg!!!
Old 09-24-2006, 07:56 PM   #658
argylesocks
Bears eat beets.

Quote:
argylesocks... from what i understood in your post when you said coasting in N is that you shift to N when coasting at high speed then shift it back to D when you start to slow down to speed up... is that right? will not this be harmful on your tranny?

i have been driving stick shifts for centuries until i shifted to auto tranny, my friend noticed me shifting to N (to conserve gas and help braking) when stopping before the car completely stops, he said this is harmful because of some pressure on the auto tranny. i don't know if this is true for your case of coasting in N then shifting back.
i have a manual, so this is a totally different case. Yes, i drop it into N when the topography allows me to coast for a while...

i have hurd the same things regarding coasting in an Auto. Best to listen to someone that drives one... maybe they can chime in..
Old 09-25-2006, 10:30 PM   #659
sam07yaris

Okay I just filled up the gas.

446.8 miles @ $2.25 /gallon

total gallons 9.68

46.15 mpg
Guys I just broke my record from 434 to 446.8 and could have gone further to my actual goal which was 460 miles, DAMNIT I was that close!

Old 09-26-2006, 10:52 AM   #660
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Quote:
Originally Posted by swng
Just saw sam07Yaris' post on the last page. The useful information is highly appreciated but it looks like my car (the Canadian version) has a different fuel gauge. My gauge only has four bars above the arrow pointer on the side and four below. Eight bars in total. It makes direct comparison difficult. We may have to go back to mpg (imp or US) or the like for a useful comparion because the how many miles/km per bar type of casual comparison may have been rendered irrelevant by the difference in the number of bars.
It is a pleasure to know that somebody has achieved a good fuel economy record for a trip/tank but it is also useful if we can see fellow members' long term average numbers. Carry on sam07Yaris!
BTW, bad drivers exist. Just remain cool all the time. Safe and happy motoring!
Taken from Yaris owners manual.
Attached Images

Last edited by nsmitchell; 09-26-2006 at 11:05 AM.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 11:25 AM   #661
tiksman

Drives: 07 Red Hatch
first tank 38.6
second tank 37.8
third tank 39.7

It gettin better
tiksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:15 PM   #662
autophile

Drives: '07 HB Manual Yarrrrris
What am I doing wrong? Note that I haven't been using A/C.

First tank: 34.4 mpg
Second tank: 36.0 mpg
Third tank: 35.2 mpg

I have a manual shift '07 hatchback. 90% of my driving is at highway speeds, half at around 60 mph, and half at around 75 mph. My shift protocol is to go into 2nd at 10 mph, 3rd at 20 mph, 4th at 30 mph, and 5th at 40 mph.

Help? :)

--Rob
Old 09-26-2006, 02:12 PM   #663
argylesocks
Bears eat beets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autophile

I have a manual shift '07 hatchback. 90% of my driving is at highway speeds, half at around 60 mph, and half at around 75 mph. My shift protocol is to go into 2nd at 10 mph, 3rd at 20 mph, 4th at 30 mph, and 5th at 40 mph.

--Rob
try keeping it at 60mph & see where that gets you.
additionally, i coast whenever possible, and try to "look ahead" for my stoplights, so that i rarely end up stopping... i just coast slowly untill its green...
Old 09-26-2006, 04:12 PM   #664
sam07yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by argylesocks
try keeping it at 60mph & see where that gets you.
additionally, i coast whenever possible, and try to "look ahead" for my stoplights, so that i rarely end up stopping... i just coast slowly untill its green...

OUCH, since it's a liftback, you guys really need that Tachometer.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:55 PM   #665
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
Quote:

--Rob
I'm still getting around 38 miles to the gallon with city and highway miles on my manual liftback. Do you punch in the gas pedal. Thats the only thing I can think that you might be doing wrong. I just gradually push on the gas pedal when I speed up. And you should let your car warm up before you take off. I always let my cars or trucks warm up in idle for at least 5 minutes before I take off.

Last edited by foober; 09-26-2006 at 07:48 PM.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 07:19 PM   #666
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:

--Rob
With my first 3 tank of gas, I was also getting around 35mpg, while driving conservatively. I'm still getting the same mileage (at 20,000km), but my driving is significantly more aggressive. So, 35mpg with regular driving isn't that great. If your driving is on the conservative side, perhaps the engine still needs to get broken in a bit more or you're taking short trips in which the engine doesn't have a change to completely warm-up. Also, don't expect the mileage to get any better for the winter arrives.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote