Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-27-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
eTiMaGo Stay safe

eTiMaGo you need to stay safe there brother. Things are really heating up in your neck of the woods.

Got an escape route planned?

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 01:12 PM   #2
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
are you talking about the airport protest in bangkok?

if so, it might make an escape difficult...
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 06:55 PM   #3
SIPNGAS
I LOVE my Yaris!

Drives: 2007 Polar White LB
Send a message via MSN to SIPNGAS Send a message via Yahoo to SIPNGAS
Geez...I'll keep you in my thoughts, too.

Lisa
aka SIPNGAS
SIPNGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 06:58 PM   #4
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Hope Bambo will survive the Thai postal system
Old 11-27-2008, 07:02 PM   #5
Bob_VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
Hope Bambo will survive the Thai postal system
Now there is a vote of concern ........... for Bambo!! and not eTiMaGo!

Old 11-27-2008, 07:50 PM   #6
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
took a drive in town earlier yesterday, only change I saw were pairs of soldiers stationed at the entrance to the elevated train stations... But yeah, airports out of commission for who knows how long :(

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 07:57 PM   #7
Benggolf2

Drives: 2008 Yaris RS 4-Door LB
Be careful and stay safe, eTiMaGo.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:17 PM   #8
Bob_VT

Send a message..... either they get this crap settled down or when Bambo arrives..... he will kick their ass!

Old 11-27-2008, 10:34 PM   #9
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
took a drive in town earlier yesterday, only change I saw were pairs of soldiers stationed at the entrance to the elevated train stations... But yeah, airports out of commission for who knows how long :(
Pairs of soldiers... buddy system. Guess that the Military doesn't want to make tempting targets for snipers or allow fraternization between soldiers and protesters. One soldier might talk, two probably would not.

Did a bit of reading about it. Apparently some of the Public is annoyed at how the Elites are running things. So they're protesting. The Thai Stock Market has lost some value over it, has the tourist trade. What bugs me is with the current economic slowdown Thailand might have tough times.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:05 PM   #10
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Yeah we have some really amazing politics here... An ex-prime minister who was kicked out of the country because he ran it like his personal piggybank, yet every time there are elections it's one of his puppets who wins... Their opposition is unfortunately taking some really desperate steps now like this taking over of the airport...

In a way, I support them, our new airport is a bit of a running joke, I don't know how many billions of Baht were invested in there, and how many of those billions ended up in peoples' pockets... It's an impressive building but very stupidly designed, imagine this for example, you get off a long flight and want to go to the bathroom? For the corridor of gates there is only one bathroom, with 3 stalls and one urinal. So, they are certainly making a statement there.

On the other hand, they're killing the country this way, who the heck will want to take a vacation to a country where they can't land a plane? Air freight import and export is also similarly at a standstill, it's just insane...

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 11-28-2008, 01:20 AM   #11
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
On the other hand, they're killing the country this way, who the heck will want to take a vacation to a country where they can't land a plane? Air freight import and export is also similarly at a standstill, it's just insane...
When I worked with Microchip brand controllers most of the final work was done in Thailand. Samples were delivered to my door by FedEx straight from Thailand. This can't be good for the nation in the long term but at the same time nobody likes Crony Capitalism except the cronies.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:38 AM   #12
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Yeah it may not sound like it to most people, but there's a lot of high tech manufacturing here... cheap, SKILLED labor, what's not to like?

But yeah, as always, everyone's just waiting for it to blow over, which it will, eventually...

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 11-28-2008, 08:12 AM   #13
SailDesign

Drives: .
Thomas, while I wish you the best, and hope you are safe (and stay that way) can we divert a little concern for the folks in Mumbai, as well?
I have friends there and while I am in touch with them and they are safe so far, the situation sounds appalling.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:26 AM   #14
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Yeah one of my old high school friends was from there though he lives in the US now, I hope his family is OK...

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 11-28-2008, 08:36 AM   #15
Bob_VT

I think IMO that things are going to be popping worldwide due to the economy and the political climates. Many groups will be "testing" the waters.

If we all stay somewhat alert and calm we will make it through this time.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:55 PM   #16
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_VT View Post
Send a message..... either they get this crap settled down or when Bambo arrives..... he will kick their ass!
It's time to send in the military, send in there best, most decorated war hero

Stay safe Thomas

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:23 AM   #17
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

well woo hoo, the government has officially been dissolved, found guilty of vote buying, and the forbidden from entering any elections for the next 5 years... In a way the end justifies the means, but those tricky bastards will just make up a new party and get back in power...

But anyway, airports are getting cleared out now and estimated to be back in full operation in less than a week.... major cleanup time!

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 12-02-2008, 08:28 AM   #18
Bob_VT

Yup I understand a small red sedan pulled up and one crazed individual with a french accent got out screamed BAMBO IS COMING and threatened to whoop everyones ass! When the crowd agreed he jumped back into the red car and took off down the road.