Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-28-2019, 09:54 PM   #1
senioryaris

Drives: 2019 Yaris LE hatchback
2019 Yaris Addition of extra front turn signal

The Yaris LE lack front side turn signal.
The existing one is placed, very dumbly, in the front grill and not visible from a side.
Plan to put a small LED bulb into existing side marker amber light light and hook it up to the existing harness of the front turn signal.
Rather simple job.
Should be street legal in Canada.
Any thoughts, though...

Cheers, Adam
senioryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:20 PM   #2
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Looking forward to seeing it. Shouldn't be too hard to tap into the existing harness, like you said.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:58 AM   #3
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
I don't see why it would be illegal. I had put side marker turn signals in my old vw.. never had an issue with the police...for that lol

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 06:37 PM   #4
senioryaris

Job is simple indeed, but I do not want to cut (unnecessarily) one extra wire.
Anybody knows
color coding of the harness for all three wires of the front turn signals?
Cheers, Adam
Old 09-03-2019, 12:03 AM   #5
senioryaris

Front turn signal - Designing the switching circuit

I have looked at the housing and adding an extra LED bulb would be difficult due to the small amount of space.

So I got another idea: get one bright LED bulb instead of the 5 W wedge bulb, and hook it up to the switching circuit.
This circuit would be fed by existing parking bulb harness AND by two other wires from the turn signal bulb (one wire if the ground is the same on both bulbs)
The switching would work in a similar way to other cars, when turning signal is activated, the parking light (if on) would blink on and off.
I have figured it out how to do it using two relays but the semiconductor circuit would be much better.
Let me know if you know how to design a switch!

Cheers, Adam
Old 09-03-2019, 05:55 AM   #6
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
Adam, rather than building a switching circuit, have a look for "switch back" LED modules. These have three leads into the module - ground, white power and amber power. When the amber LED is energised, the white LED turns off. Some of these also have a time delay for the white LED, so that you normally have the white LED on, or the amber LED flashing for the turn signal.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:45 PM   #7
senioryaris

Thanks,

Alas this still require 2 bulbs, while existing housing is for one wedge T10!

If I would go with 2 bulbs, I might just forgo any switching circuit and hook up this extra side turn signal bulb to the existing harness of the front turn signal.
That extra bulb will be much brighter than marker light - in the same fashion as the main front turn/parking bulb which has 2 filaments 5W for parking and 21 W for turning.
BUT, BUT, BUT
Using 2 bulbs entails drilling a hole in the lens assembly, can be sealed, etc., a SINGLE bulb is much more elegant solution.

I do not have enough circuit design expertise, but maybe some of wizards here can figure out if a commercially available "Switchback LED Drivers" can be appropriated for the single bulb operation.

In any case, still fuming at the lack of foresight of Toyota engineers who designed unsafe turn signal configuration...

Cheers, Adam
Old 09-22-2019, 03:03 PM   #8
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Why not just do this:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54875
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 02:47 PM   #9
senioryaris

Too much work!

A switching circuit fed by 2 pairs of wires (one from front turn signal, one from front parking light) and providing an output to 1 pair of wires for a single bulb is way more elegant.

BUT, there might be another solution, however unlikely.

IS there a dual filament bulb assembly which will fit existing (front marker light) smallish hole for one bulb?

Cheers, Adam

"In any case, still fuming at the lack of foresight of Toyota engineers who designed unsafe turn signal configuration..."

Tags
2019 yaris, additional, extra, front turn signal