Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-03-2008, 09:26 AM   #1
turboyaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to turboyaris
solid torsion bar bushings... the best rear anti roll upgrade

So as another one of my parts is about to be complete and ready to sell, I figured I would drum up some support for it as well. Just as the title says, I will be producing solid bushings for the rear torsion bar. They will be made out of 6061 T-6 aluminum. They are fairly easy to install with just a little bit of work.

On to why I believe it is the ultimate anti roll upgrade.

As all of you know, the yaris comes with a torsion bar rear suspension, fairly common in economy fwd vehicles. While they aren't as good as a McPherson strut or double wishbone rear suspension, they have their benefits in that they are very easy to setup, with little ability to adjust things like camber, and toe. Manufacturers like them because they are inexpensive to design in comparison to other suspension setups, as well as having less components to make. Many of you feel that a rear sway bar is the way to go, and for ultimate anti roll, I would say that it is. However, the design of a torsion bar suspension is so that the torsion bar itself acts as an anti roll device. When cornering, your outside wheel loads as weight transfers, causing the outside suspension to compress, in doing so the leverage arm of the torsion bar (where is bolts to the car) and the wheel act to try to twist the torsion bar. In doing this twisting, it forces the steel tube of the torsion bar to exert an exact twisting force on the other wheel in the opposite direction loading the inner wheel, which as some of us might know, is the exact thing that a sway bar does. So effectively adding a rear sway bar is just stiffening the torsion bar. On to where I see the problem, when cornering hard at high speed (G), even though our vehicles are light they produce a large amount of resulting forces, and since those forces are in a twisting manner, fastened to the chassis with a rubber bushing, that bushing is just getting deformed, completely negating the benefit of the torsion bar and or the rear sway bar. With a secure anchor around an aluminum bushing that won't flex, the forces will be transferred through the torsion bar, as they are intended. Now I know what you are thinking, why would toyota do such a thing. As we all know, road cars are made to be quite comfortable riding machines, not necessarily geared to performance. The only downside to this upgrade is the possibility of slight road noise entering the cabin area. If I forgot anything please let me know and I will be happy to fill you in on a little more info, I tried to keep all the math out of it so I didn't lose everybody.

Introductory pricing should be around $125 and that will probably stay the price until after the new year, so tell your girlfriends or boyfriends or husbands or wives you want them for christmas.
turboyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:29 AM   #2
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
i'm tempted!!... unfortunately solid bushings are illegal for most SCCA classes of autocross :(
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:30 AM   #3
turboyaris

thats lame... all the cool kids are doin it hahaha

oh I forgot to mention they should be ready for sale within the week.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:32 AM   #4
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboyaris View Post
thats lame... all the cool kids are doin it hahaha

oh I forgot to mention they should be ready for sale within the week.
willing to give me dimensions? so i can verify if they'd work on the NCP61

EDIT: per toyota they're different part numbers :( so i'm pretty sure it's not the same part.. oh well..
Old 12-03-2008, 09:43 AM   #5
turboyaris

what the heck is an ncp61
Old 12-03-2008, 09:43 AM   #6
Tamago

Quote:
your older brother, the scion xA
Old 12-03-2008, 09:45 AM   #7
turboyaris

haha oh ok... different part numbers but I will get you those dimensions... gotta look through my files... if you want, you can send me your dimensions, and either way, I'll make you one
Old 12-03-2008, 09:47 AM   #8
m911gt
Carless in Chicago

Drives: 08 Blk LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
i'm tempted!!... unfortunately solid bushings are illegal for most SCCA classes of autocross :(
Tamago, why is this? TIA

Turbo, very interesting. Great writeup, I may have to PM you later to ask what the resulting forces are approximately from our little cars. Looking forward to reading more about this new product.

Some say that he is the secret love child of Ferrari and Porsche, and others say that he would lap James May twice in a 1/4 mile drag race. All we know is that he is called The Stig.
m911gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:47 AM   #9
turboyaris

a hardcore racer would buy an extra axle beam one with solid bushings and one for when the scca got gay... I see one near you for $200

or man up and go to the street prepared class ;-) hahaha
Old 12-03-2008, 09:47 AM   #10
Tamago

Quote:
haha oh ok... different part numbers but I will get you those dimensions... gotta look through my files... if you want, you can send me your dimensions, and either way, I'll make you one
what are your machining capabilities? will you be coating the aluminum parts to prevent corrosion?
Old 12-03-2008, 10:02 AM   #11
turboyaris

not the anodizing topic again haha... I hadn't planned on getting them anodized because 6061 has very good anti corrosive properties, I guess if the demand is there for it, I could get them anodized, but I personally don't see why. Many places sell none coated 6061 bushings. As for my machining capabilities, I won't be undertaking this project, as I don't have a CNC Lathe, I could make them individual on a standard lathe, but the margin for error is to high and its not cost effective. I am having a machine and tool company do the work, I just design and send them the specs, and then I double check them before shipping them out to you.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:17 AM   #12
m911gt
Carless in Chicago

Drives: 08 Blk LB
how much time would you say it takes to swap out the bushings? TIA

Some say that he is the secret love child of Ferrari and Porsche, and others say that he would lap James May twice in a 1/4 mile drag race. All we know is that he is called The Stig.
m911gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:19 AM   #13
TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Banned

Drives: '08 Lexus IS-F
Send a message via AIM to TEHxFALLEN V1.2
I see where you're going with this now, we just covered suspension in class 3 weeks ago!!

Sponsored by: Micro Image
http://microimageonline.com
TEHxFALLEN V1.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:28 AM   #14
turboyaris

Quote:
how much time would you say it takes to swap out the bushings? TIA
well that can vary largely by your skills, and the tools you have available to you, basically you 'd have to pull off the rear wheels, remove the brake caliper and tie it up and disconnect the ebrake cable, remove the bottom strut bolt, and the bolt securing the torsion bar to the chassis, after that you can completely remove the torsion bar assembly, and either press the stock bushing out, or burn it out and remove the metal sleeve, all the while you were freezing the metal bushings, pull the bushings outta the freezer and they tap right in use a little grease if youd like. Then just do the reverse to reinstall.
There are other ways to do it, requiring less disassembly, but you can decide what would be easiest for you.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:18 AM   #15
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Interesting.

I'm all up for cheap suspension mods

Last edited by CASTREX; 12-03-2008 at 05:08 PM.
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:22 AM   #16
turboyaris

haha sweet... you will like what I have in store next then too
Old 12-03-2008, 05:17 PM   #17
turboyaris

if there is an interest, I found a company that will make me urethane bushings for you autocrossers
Old 12-03-2008, 05:25 PM   #18
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
your older brother, the scion xA
guess I am the eldest NCP31

Tamago, are they the same from NCP31 and NCP61?