Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-14-2012, 06:38 AM   #1
JayGee

Drives: 2012 Yaris XR 3DR
Question Is there any way to add features to touch screen audio?

Hi,

My car has the following touch screen audio system installed:

Is there any way to enable some of the additional features, like the SMS functionality, on it by way of firmware download or hidden service menu?

I have been told by three people at two different dealerships that our local spec cars are navigation ready and it will be enabled (not sure if at an extra cost) when the local maps become available. I am not 100% convinced of this though. Currently, it just displays "System not installed" when you press the Map/nav button.
I have emailed Toyota SA to confirm what the sales persons have told me, but they simply replied that the current radio is not navigation enabled - like I wasn't able to figure that out...
Is there any way I can enable the GPS (naturally it won't have maps) on the system or even to just confirm that it does indeed have the GPS receiver installed?

A couple of Qs to those who have this audio system, with nav enabled:

How does this radio store the maps?
Does it have internal storage of some kind? It doesn't have an SD card slot, like some other units I have seen on this site. Does it use the USB input? If so, what if it is used with an iPod? I assume you can have both map sets and MP3s on a flashdrive, but on an iPod?
Seems to be straight forward questions that a quick google would answer, but not with my search skills, it seems
None of this is covered in the manual I got with it, which seems to be a simplified version.

By the way, the "hidden menu yaris touch go" function, as seen on Youtube (search and ye shall find), doesn't work on my car, unless I'm doing it wrong(?)
Looks like the guy just holds in the Car button for a while. It only seems to be read only / diagnostic features anyway.

Any pointers in the right direction, if any of this can be done without dealer intervention or bricking the radio, will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by JayGee; 02-14-2012 at 07:00 AM.
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
SineWave

Drives: Gen3 Yaris ZR Manual
Aus Del. Yarii come with the Toyota Entertainment Communications Hub (or T.E.C.H.) which has sat nav, sms, usb, etc. Would like to know how to upgrade my maps. It comes with Navteq maps from 2010, but I have Whereis Sensis maps from Q3 2011. Replacing the map files makes it come up with invalid content or something.
When I first got the car, it didn't have the SD card and the map function was unavailable until it installed something from the SD card (maps, software and firmware... it rebooted itself). Trying to attach a photo of the software version...
SineWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
SineWave

Try this again...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-01-23 18.52.26.jpg (125.7 KB, 399 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-01-23 18.53.47.jpg (125.1 KB, 379 views)
Old 02-14-2012, 10:12 PM   #4
SineWave

Also, remove the plastic panel from the passenger door to the steering wheel that surrounds the radio. I used my plastic pry bars, there's around a dozen or so clips, but they're not too tight. Just don't use a metal bar/screwdriver. In the cavity next to the radio will be a little square black GPS antenna with a lead going to behind the radio. It's got a magnetic base and they've just stuck a glue backed piece of steel with black plastic onto the plastic frame of the lower dash. This should let you know if you've got GPS functionality. I can take a picture of mine later if you want.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:23 AM   #5
JayGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SineWave View Post
When I first got the car, it didn't have the SD card and the map function was unavailable until it installed something from the SD card (maps, software and firmware... it rebooted itself).
Where did you get/download the firmware and maps from?

Do you not have the function to register the system locally? (refer to https://customerportal.toyota-europe.com/public/selectcountry.aspx?go=%2fpublic%2fLogin.aspx%3fgot o%3dhttp%253A%252F%252Fcustomerportal.toyota-europe.com%253A80%252Fprotected%252FMySummary.aspx - AUS not listed though (EU only) - link just for reference purposes)

I tried to register on one of the sites, but it asks for a device ID, which my audio system does not have under the menus, as described.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:31 AM   #6
JayGee

I just removed the dash trim and had a look - easier than I thought!

Can't find the GPS antenna, so I guess my car does not have it after all.
Found a manual on how to retrofit it, but it would probably not be cost effective to do (doubt if it's even available locally yet), given how much Toyota is asking just for the rear view camera...

I think I will have a good cry now.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:42 AM   #7
SineWave

Wow, it's a whole module. If it was just the GPS antenna I could have given you a spare. They're cheap enough, just need to get the right connector. That's a bit annoying. Maybe someone from europe will sell their stock Touch and Go head unit on eBay sometime in the near future. Just keep an eye out. :)
Old 02-16-2012, 05:47 AM   #8
JayGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SineWave View Post
Wow, it's a whole module. If it was just the GPS antenna I could have given you a spare. They're cheap enough, just need to get the right connector. That's a bit annoying. Maybe someone from europe will sell their stock Touch and Go head unit on eBay sometime in the near future. Just keep an eye out. :)
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out, as you say, but I probably won't bother too much now. No sense in getting the system GPS enabled and not having any maps.

If the mapping on the local Mercs, Nissans and BMWs is anything to go by, I won't bother unless it's really cheap to upgrade once the add-on and maps become available locally.
The Garmin & Tom Tom maps are far superior and offer more POIs and speed camera / hazard warnings too. I still use a Garmin device sometimes in my others cars that I have (and had) that has built in satnav anyway. I just thought that this would be a nice-to-have feature. Goodness knows, the cars (especially the XR spec) are expensive enough locally to have this feature as standard!

This still means that three sales people lied (unless Toyota SA lied to them during product training too - even worse) to me about satnav becoming "enabled" as soon as the maps are available. None of them said anything about additional hardware. They just said it was a software upgrade.
In their defence, however, nowhere it is advertised that the car will have satnav enabled or is satnav ready on the local Toyota website or brochures.

It's mentioned on several local media reviews though and a local TV program that tested the (local) top spec 1.3 XR also mentioned that it has satnav. That's misleading the public!

I suspect the same goes for the local Hilux and Fortuners (not sure about the Land Cruiser range) that has a similar system installed too.

Oh well, I still would like to get the SMS funtion going, unless that relies on the satnav add-on module (perhaps it uses the internal storage for this ) for this to work.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:37 AM   #9
rmatcar
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2012
Hi all!!

I'm really interested in getting the navigation maps. Is there any update in this issue?

I'm looking forward to getting the GPS ant and the software. Do you know where can i buy it? No say Official Toyora store :-S

Is there any guide to follow?

Thank you!
rmatcar is offline   Reply With Quote