Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: DRL: Low beam or -lamps - or not?
Yes, with low beam 6 37.50%
Yes, with special DRL-lamps 6 37.50%
No, no light at the day 4 25.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
Ot_tO

Drives: Look Signature... ;-)
Smile DRL: Low beam or -lamps - or not?

Hi,

I just wanted to make a poll:

Daytime running lights:

Yes, with low beam
Yes, with special DRL-lamps
No, no light at the day

...maybe with your reasons?

For example:
Yes, with low beam - because here where I live it's a must with light at the day
Yes, with low beam - although here where I live it's not a must
Yes, with low beam - because a DRL modul already in the car from manufacturer
Yes, with special DRL-lamps - because already at the car from manufacturer
No, no light at the day - because the car will use more fuel
...and so on...

If your reason is:
Yes, with special DRL-lamps - because this is seen better than the low beam - ...evidence!

If possible, maybe you could make two pictures, one with low beam and one with special DRL-lamps, maybe at least 50 meters (this are 164 feet?) far away?
This would be super!

I drive with low beam at the day (here in Germany although it's not a must), because I think it's better seen from far than the small DRL-lamps.
But, you could tell me the other way is better, with the two pictures...
And if I saw it, I will install special DRL-lamps at the car.

Thanks to all!

YARIS II (XP9F) Facelift (2009-2011) 3dr Executive 1.33 (74kW/101PS/99hp) 6gear-MultiMode Jan/2010 (german version)
Ot_tO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:23 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The OEM ones pulse the high beam filaments with a 50% duty cycle to make them a little less bright than the low beams at full power. The advantage of pulsing the high beams is that it prolongs the life of the low beam filaments, which are most often used at night.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:31 PM   #3
Ot_tO

Smile

Ahh... - O.K.

In Germany it's not allowed to dim the high beam.
I 'forgot' other countries where it's allowed.

In Germany the low beam must be at 100 %.

As far as I know...
If from manufacturer DRL modul installed then tail lights not (mostly if you have an automatic light switch).
If you install an aftermarket DRL modul, the tail lights, license plate must be also on.

- - - - - - - - -

'Yes, with low beam'

...could be chosen if 'dimmed high beam' also.

Thanks

Since a long time I think about to install also DRL-lamps, but I couldn't decide.
Because like I mentioned in the upper message, I think the low beam is seen better.
If you have two pictures (like I mentioned in the upper message), you are more than welcome!

YARIS II (XP9F) Facelift (2009-2011) 3dr Executive 1.33 (74kW/101PS/99hp) 6gear-MultiMode Jan/2010 (german version)
Old 06-16-2012, 01:31 AM   #4
Deathegg

Drives: 2010 Yaris hatch
Even on a sunny day, headlights on low beam, all the time. I think my car is invisible otherwise.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ot_tO View Post
Ahh... - O.K.

In Germany it's not allowed to dim the high beam.
I 'forgot' other countries where it's allowed.

In Germany the low beam must be at 100 %.

As far as I know...
If from manufacturer DRL modul installed then tail lights not (mostly if you have an automatic light switch).
If you install an aftermarket DRL modul, the tail lights, license plate must be also on.

- - - - - - - - -

'Yes, with low beam'

...could be chosen if 'dimmed high beam' also.

Thanks

Since a long time I think about to install also DRL-lamps, but I couldn't decide.
Because like I mentioned in the upper message, I think the low beam is seen better.
If you have two pictures (like I mentioned in the upper message), you are more than welcome!

OK - That makes a difference.

In that case, I would either:

1. Do a similar mod to my "Headlights off with key", where instead a relay is added to simply turn on the headlights any time the ignition is on.

2. Go with the Phillips DRL kit, as reading about them, they seem very easy to install and are very bright.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
Ot_tO

Smile

Thanks to all, who participate in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
OK - That makes a difference.

In that case, I would either:

1. Do a similar mod to my "Headlights off with key", where instead a relay is added to simply turn on the headlights any time the ignition is on.

2. Go with the Phillips DRL kit, as reading about them, they seem very easy to install and are very bright.
#1 sounds like... do this and then this and then it will be...
This is too high for me.
I guess you are a mechanic?

I think the best for me would be if I would drive to the Toyota repair shop and will ask a mechanic how he would do it.
If he will say, oh - yes - we need your car the whole day and it will cost 500.- €...
I post a message here if you could explain it for me (dummy understandable) - and then I could explain it to the mechanic.

#2 I read about the DRL-lamps are connected directly with the batterie.
And they switch on if the batterie have 13.8 V - if I remember correct - the motor is running and load the batterie.
If you have a low or old batterie it could be that the DRL-lamps don't switch on, because the 13.8 V isn't reached.
Or they switch off and on and off and on during the travel.

Or why happen this?

Sometimes my car stay one, two weeks - because I have also a motorbike... so I guess this could happen then also at my car, because the batterie is low.

I guess I should let install then the DRL-lamps also with 'ignition on' - that they will be always on. I hope this would be then also possible...

Old 06-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
If you really wants light on during the day just turn your lights on, don't worry about different drl's.

I hate drl's with a passion. Such a dumb idea. If someone can't see your car having low powered lights on your car won't help.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:18 PM   #8
The Limo

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
In the mid 1970's Transport Canada did some testing of driving with your lights on during the day. They came up with their findings that if everyone had their lights on during daylight hours there would be 30% fewer traffic accidents during daylight hours. All cars sold in Canada starting with the 1990 model year must have DRLs.
Roy
The Limo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ot_tO View Post
Thanks to all, who participate in this thread.

#1 sounds like... do this and then this and then it will be...
This is too high for me.
I guess you are a mechanic?

I think the best for me would be if I would drive to the Toyota repair shop and will ask a mechanic how he would do it.
If he will say, oh - yes - we need your car the whole day and it will cost 500.- €...
I post a message here if you could explain it for me (dummy understandable) - and then I could explain it to the mechanic.

#2 I read about the DRL-lamps are connected directly with the batterie.
And they switch on if the batterie have 13.8 V - if I remember correct - the motor is running and load the batterie.
If you have a low or old batterie it could be that the DRL-lamps don't switch on, because the 13.8 V isn't reached.
Or they switch off and on and off and on during the travel.

Or why happen this?

Sometimes my car stay one, two weeks - because I have also a motorbike... so I guess this could happen then also at my car, because the batterie is low.

I guess I should let install then the DRL-lamps also with 'ignition on' - that they will be always on. I hope this would be then also possible...

I am going to be in Italy in a couple of weeks on holiday. You should drive down and we can wire them up for option #1 in the parking lot of my hotel.

For #2, if they switch on automatically at 13.8 volts, then they would be fine, even when the battery gets old. The alternator puts out 14.1 volts when the car is running, so unless the battery was completely dead they would still work.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:06 AM   #10
Ot_tO

Smile

Thank you for the suggestion.

Italy isn't so near...
I guess the cash for the petrol will be much more than if I would let do it in the Toyota repair shop...

Old 07-27-2012, 07:11 AM   #11
Ot_tO

Smile

You have special DRL-lamps on your car?

If possible, maybe you could make two pictures, one with low beam and one with special DRL-lamps, maybe at least 50 meters (this are 164 feet?) far away?
This would be super!

So we could compare if they are bright or more bright than low beam... (better seen).