Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Unhappy Yaris sales have completely tanked

747 units in June. Remember when the Yaris used to sell 5-6K a month regularly? Of course that was with a sedan, but still.

Here are the major competitors for June.

Ford Fiesta ...........9363
Nissan Versa.........8705
Chevrolet Sonic.....7122
Hyundai Accent.....5237
Honda Fit.............5055
Kia Rio................4169

Yaris....................747

What's going on?
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
I'm not surprise with so many Yaris clones that have now flooded the market and the total lack of promotion of the Yaris.

I see an add on TV for a Prius etc every few minutes it seems but, I have never seen a Yaris ad anywhere.
Judging by Toyota's past promotion of cars they discontinue, the Yaris is now on their list for extinction.
For whatever corporate and/or legal reasons they never admit it publicly until the very last minute.

Their line for the Yaris, "It's a car" speaks volumes.

BTW, Toyota has been steadily loosing market share world wide for the past few years.
Yes, they still make good cars but so so do most other manufactures now.

In the US, GM is now on top with Ford second and Toyota third.
Honda and Nissan both have about 8% of the market share.
Cars listed as "others" have about the same market share as Toyota.

Last edited by RedRide; 07-07-2013 at 01:57 PM.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
ron3

Drives: 2012 yaris HB 5door LE auto.
Yaris is not selling

last week I was at a rural Toyota dealer in Morristown TN. They had a new 2012 yaris LE loaded also they has a new 2012 Matrix and a prius. Strange they would still have left over 2012 models.

Last edited by ron3; 07-07-2013 at 03:54 PM.
ron3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
Superfly
Makin' it rain

Drives: 2012 Silver Yaris LE
It should also be noted that Ford, GM, Hyundai, Kia, and Nissan are all offering very heavy discounts either off MSRP or through 0% financing. And the Fit is usually a good seller because it is basically a tiny van. Toyota is doing nothing for the Yaris. Nothing. Instead they are pushing Corollas, Camrys, and the like.
Superfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #5
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
Here in Canada .. Toyota is advertising the Yaris in a Factory sale which is offering 0% financing for 84 months.

This is the first time I have ever seen Toyota offering specials on the Yaris.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #6
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
747 units in June. Remember when the Yaris used to sell 5-6K a month regularly? Of course that was with a sedan, but still.

Chevrolet Sonic.....7122
Hyundai Accent.....5237

What's going on?
Wow. That is stunning.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #7
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
I'm not surprise with so many Yaris clones that have now flooded the market and the total lack of promotion of the Yaris.

I see an add on TV for a Prius etc every few minutes it seems but, I have never seen a Yaris ad anywhere.
Judging by Toyota's past promotion of cars they discontinue, the Yaris is now on their list for extinction.
For whatever corporate and/or legal reasons they never admit it publicly until the very last minute.

Their line for the Yaris, "It's a car" speaks volumes.

BTW, Toyota has been steadily loosing market share world wide for the past few years.
Yes, they still make good cars but so so do most other manufactures now.

In the US, GM is now on top with Ford second and Toyota third.
Honda and Nissan both have about 8% of the market share.
Cars listed as "others" have about the same market share as Toyota.
I also don't think the Yaris having only an e-brochure was a very good idea.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Quote:

Chevrolet Sonic.....7122
Hyundai Accent.....5237

What's going on?
I also wonder if this will change the production plans (what is it, rest of 3rd Gen production in France and then a shift to mexico after that ?).
Old 07-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #9
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
It should also be noted that Ford, GM, Hyundai, Kia, and Nissan are all offering very heavy discounts either off MSRP or through 0% financing. And the Fit is usually a good seller because it is basically a tiny van. Toyota is doing nothing for the Yaris. Nothing. Instead they are pushing Corollas, Camrys, and the like.
As an example of the attitude toward manual transmissions, yesterday (IIRC) I posted the numbers re an ad on a Focus S Sedan -- $17,290 MSRP discounted to $12,388....I wonder if some dealers are offering close to as high a percentage off a Fiesta. I also wonder if this is a sign of people wanting things 'Made in the U.S.A.' for no other reason than where the manufacturing plant is located. One model of the next generation of Apple computers is going to be manufactured in the U.S.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:02 AM   #10
joshthorsc

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE 5spd
Does that number include units being sold to rental fleets cause I sure do see a lot of Fiestas and Versa on rental lots. However, I'm not too surprise on low sales for the Yaris. They cost almost as much as a Corolla and their competition seems to be offering more options but of course that can also be more costly. Only reason why I didn't get a Corolla was that I couldn't find a manual transmission S model.
joshthorsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #11
Septembersrain
♣♀Yaris'ing♀♣

Drives: 2013 Yaris 3-Door LE ~Pearl~
Weird. I've been seeing quite a few new Yaris out there lately.
I guess this car really only appeals to a certain crowd.
I do get a lot of people asking me "What kind of car is that?"

Saw someone with this car at Burger King and gave him this site.
I wore my Yarisworld T-shirt yesterday too. ^_^
Old 07-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #12
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
Wow! I can't believe how low Yaris sales are compared to some of the other vehicles. Of course, they don't really advertise the vehicle, but it's still a very low number in my eyes. Granted, I hadn't even heard of the Yaris until about two years ago.
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #13
Frank Necrosis

Drives: 2012 Yaris L MT
Sad to see the numbers so low. I notice very few of the new generation Yarii on the road.

Even the local dealer has almost no Yaris inventory, but lots of Prius's, Camrys and Corollas.

I thoroughly enjoy my Yaris. It a car. No more, no less. Manual trans, roll up windows, a basic radio with knobs and simple to use buttons. Although all this appeals to me, most people want more, a lot more. Power windows, navigation, mindless transmission, etc.
Frank Necrosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #14
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
It's a car that they care very little about for the US market. They'd rather inflate Corolla numbers as much as possible which is why they didn't market a sedan variant this time around. Toyota makes at least a couple of different subcompact sedans in other markets so the car exists yet we don't have it.

Then there's the Prius C which is essentially a Yaris hybrid. Toyota much rather sell you this as well. And they are now outselling the Yaris.

This isn't good considering we're only in year #2. Toyota may run a short 4 year cycle on this one instead of 5. They need a full change from the ground up. New engine and transmission next time.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #15
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Advertising sells. No question about that. In the US, people who do not research rely on advertising to tell a story of what and what not to buy. Commercials are a big part of the daily life for Americans. Positive appealing invites are what we want. Then there are those like me or "us" that use the web to search for ideas or information of a specific car. Forums like this are both informative AND advertise the main product; that being the Yaris. So let us recap then. Commercials are few and far between and lets face it, the advertising of the Yaris on the main page shows us 7 year old versions of the car. This forum does nothing to help the sales of a great car, and it's a sad thing to see because of ownership isn't there. Kal-El is right when he says "They need a full change from the ground up. New engine and transmission next time.", but I'm afraid that ship has sailed unfortunately. Unless they can compete with amenities, they will lose every single time.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #16
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septembersrain View Post
I've been seeing quite a few new Yaris out there lately.
This is because there are so many savvy people in Texas .
Old 07-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #17
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCALB SIRAY View Post
Advertising sells. No question about that. In the US, people who do not research rely on advertising to tell a story of what and what not to buy. Commercials are a big part of the daily life for Americans. Positive appealing invites are what we want. Then there are those like me or "us" that use the web to search for ideas or information of a specific car. Forums like this are both informative AND advertise the main product; that being the Yaris. So let us recap then. Commercials are few and far between and lets face it, the advertising of the Yaris on the main page shows us 7 year old versions of the car. This forum does nothing to help the sales of a great car, and it's a sad thing to see because of ownership isn't there. Kal-El is right when he says "They need a full change from the ground up. New engine and transmission next time.", but I'm afraid that ship has sailed unfortunately. Unless they can compete with amenities, they will lose every single time.
I wonder if Toyota waited too long to move production out of Japan...if the value of the Yen put Toyota at such a disadvantage for so long that the current Yaris sales wont recover to a level that is closer to its competitors
Old 07-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #18
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:

Chevrolet Sonic.....7122
Hyundai Accent.....5237

What's going on?
It's that shitty Gen 3 style change finally catching up with Toyota.
Should have left it Gen 2.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote