Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-03-2015, 06:05 PM   #1
autoproteach
I've made a post!

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Exclamation front lower control arm bolts breaking

I am an ASE certified tech and a retired auto shop teacher {28 years}

I own a 2008 Yaris and recently had the passenger side front lower control arm bolt break off, leaving a piece of bolt inside the vehicle body. There are 2 Toyota TSB's on this problem, and many complaints on the net.

I have called Toyota Customer Relations and they were no help, telling me the mileage is too high for them to help repair this. THIS SHOULD BE A RECALL, IT CAN BECOME DANGEROUS QUICKLY!

My recommendation is that if you have had this problem, go on the NHTSA website and fill out an incident report. It is very easy.

Many times I recommended to people to buy Toyotas because of the quality and reliability. I will never do so again. They should replace these substandard bolts on every Yaris on the road.
autoproteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:29 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
That is a known common issue with a Toyota Warranty extension TSB. Here is a thread with a ton of info about it and copies of the TSBs:

www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27658
Old 12-03-2015, 06:31 PM   #3
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
This is a known issue:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27658

Oops, looks like CTScott beat me to it.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:40 PM   #4
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Agreed it's an issue Toyota should be properly dealing with and they aren't. That being said every car manufacturer has a history of this and Toyota is not alone.

I'd personally still purchase Toyota's if looking for a long lasting fuel efficient and reliable car. I would however go online and read as much info as I can from current owners to stay ahead of any major known issues sucj as the control arm bolt in this case.

As stated in the thread about it, it is much easier to swap the bolts out yourself w/ new ones if you get to the before they prematurely break.

Good luck on getting them out. Apparently the easiest way once they break is to weld on a nut after you drop the subframe and then just remove it using the nut
Old 12-05-2015, 05:13 PM   #5
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
My sedan was well out of warranty when one of mine broke in my driveway. Dealer quoted over CA$700 to perform the fix. I bought two of the upgraded bolts at the parts counter for about $6 each and had an independent shop replace them for one hours labour. He used an air chisel to easily back out the broken headed bolt and gently ratcheted the other out. Total cost of update about CA$100.00. Aside from maintenance, which I do myself, this is the only repair money spent on this car which runs like a charm despite all the performance and handling upgrades. 7 3/4 years and ~170,000 kilometers. Can't complain about that.
At the time a long thread was running about the issue. I advised others who hadn't yet experienced the breakage to spend for the two bolts and replace the original troublemakers. It would be 10 minutes under the car to switch them out, before the heads pop off.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:50 AM   #6
my07ty

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Here I thought it was just mine. I recently inherited an 07 sedan, and noticed immediately there was an issue with the suspension. Found that it was the bolt in question. Spent $8 on new bolts, and $40 at a local repair shop. Not something I wanted to chance, and just ignore.
my07ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:56 AM   #7
snowsquirrel

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
My sedan was well out of warranty when one of mine broke in my driveway. Dealer quoted over CA$700 to perform the fix. I bought two of the upgraded bolts at the parts counter for about $6 each and had an independent shop replace them for one hours labour. He used an air chisel to easily back out the broken headed bolt and gently ratcheted the other out. Total cost of update about CA$100.00. Aside from maintenance, which I do myself, this is the only repair money spent on this car which runs like a charm despite all the performance and handling upgrades. 7 3/4 years and ~170,000 kilometers. Can't complain about that.
At the time a long thread was running about the issue. I advised others who hadn't yet experienced the breakage to spend for the two bolts and replace the original troublemakers. It would be 10 minutes under the car to switch them out, before the heads pop off.
Hello Muskoka800,
I'm from Waterloo, just bought a 2008 5 drs Liftback, want to replace the subject bolts. I checked with the Toyota dealer in town, they want $24 each!

Where did you got yours for $6?

Cheers.
snowsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:39 PM   #8
tmontague

When I bought mine they were $15 each I believe. That was 2 years ago.

Knowing toyota they upped the price based on how many they were selling.

Anyone know the type of bolt and grade it is so that we can get it from a bolt supplier for half the cost?
Old 08-29-2016, 08:26 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowsquirrel View Post
Hello Muskoka800,
I'm from Waterloo, just bought a 2008 5 drs Liftback, want to replace the subject bolts. I checked with the Toyota dealer in town, they want $24 each!

Where did you got yours for $6?

Cheers.
Sounds like your Toyota dealer is marking them up.

Here's an ebay listing for them for $8 each with free shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-2016...35.m2548.l4275
Old 09-05-2016, 07:23 PM   #10
snowsquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post

Thanks Scott,
I know they always do, making a killing!
I found some US OEM parts sellers online for around US$4 ea, but need to pay for shipping.
I was asking MUSKOKA800 since he is from around here in Ontario, may be his dealership is more reasonable.

Cheers.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:05 AM   #11
snowsquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post

Thanks CTScott, appreciate the link to ebay, that is really a good deal, with that price, one can replace them on a regular intervals! Things are much cheaper in the US of A!

Cheers
Old 09-18-2016, 02:58 PM   #12
ebaut

Drives: Yaris 09
I just paid $23.23 CAD taxes included at an Ontario Toyota dealership a month or two ago.

Took it to Meineke for an oil change, asked them. To swap the bolts. They had no issue taking them out, and the old bolts sill looked alright, believe it or not. I'll post a pic of them later.

I drive a 2009 hatchback btw. Having the new bolts gives me incredible peace of mind.
ebaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 03:33 PM   #13
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaut View Post
Took it to Meineke for an oil change, asked them. To swap the bolts. They had no issue taking them out, and the old bolts sill looked alright, believe it or not. I'll post a pic of them later.

I drive a 2009 hatchback btw. Having the new bolts gives me incredible peace of mind.
Without going back to the big, big thread about the control arm bolt issue, iirc MY2009 started getting the new bolts. 2006-2008 had the problematic bolts.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:47 PM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaut View Post
I just paid $23.23 CAD taxes included at an Ontario Toyota dealership a month or two ago.

The updated US TSB: T-SB-0055-11 includes most Yaris (LB and sedan) from 2007 through 2011.

The bolts are not the root cause and the new ones do not appear any different than the original ones. The root cause is two unsealed seams on the frame box above the lower subframe, which allow water splashed onto the bottom of the chassis to funnel into the metal sleeve where the bolt sits.

Separately there is a TSB (T-SB-0078-12) with actual new bolts for 2007-2012 Yaris for a clunking noise from the front suspension, which occurs due to the bolts. This second TSB appears to be due to the original bolts either being a tad too long, or them stretching over time. This problem though is completely separate from the TSB above where the bolts corrode to the point of failure.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:21 PM   #15
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
I had never heard of this issue until a few weeks ago. I went to talk with old man Toyota, (he is the old mad that has been working for Toyota for 100 years at a dealership I used to work at) and he spent about 45 minutes on his computer. he wrote down about 5 different part numbers, and explained each of the TSB's. he finally came up with an updated part number 90119-14151. they were about $8.50 each. there have been 0 sold in Colorado. I bought 2. they took 2 days to ship in.
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:16 AM   #16
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Yaris Lower Control Arm Bolts break breaking recall rust corrosion grease lube

If the original bolts were breaking in a couple years and the replacement bolts are the same, is anything improved except installing them well greased? Or with some other sealant? Or are the replacement bolts more corrosion resistant?
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:38 AM   #17
tmontague

NO idea if the new bolts are any better but I installed 2 new bolts 2 years ago (purchased form the dealer). I covered them in marine grease before installation and when I removed the last year to check them out they were still covered in grease and in great shape.

Due to this I will not be taking them out to inspect until every 2 years. I do oil spray my car every spring but that likely does not get to the area where the bolt threads into
Old 09-19-2016, 04:11 PM   #18
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
oil spray undercoat rust protection

What is an oil recommendation for yearly applied undercoat/in-cavity protection? There used to be a place in southern New Hampshire or thereabouts that may have been a converted car wash conveyor building. But all they did was oil the cars undersides, including drilling bottoms of doors and plugging after oiling.
I spray a mix of new engine oil and old gasoline on areas of the last 91 Corolla Wagon in my Pennsylvania county. But with a rustfree 07 Yaris from CA, I'd like a correct oil for the job. Concerns include oil/solvents getting into or harming the function or materials of electrical connectors, devices and wiring.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
control arm bolt, front suspension