Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-17-2018, 10:27 PM   #1
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Took my Yaris on an adventure (TSD Rally)

Hey guys.

Figured I would post a little of my experience on my first TSD. For those unfamiliar, a Time-Stage-Distance rally is where you are given a route, and an average speed you are expected to keep. The car that is closest to that time, as captured by random timing checks, wins. You get penalized for being too fast or slow. These take place on public roads, so the average speeds are usually 10% or less of the legal speed limit. This event is a winter rally, so takes place on unplowed gravel roads. In this case it rained, then froze just prior to the event so the average speeds were..... optimistic. Average speed of 72kph on polished ice is enough to be entertaining even while being cautious of oncoming traffic etc. I'd say 70% of it was on glaze-ice.

My end goal is Stage rally, but figured this would be a good learning experience for me and my Navigator. So I stuffed the factory shocks etc back in the Yaris, got some amazing studded tires, and went for a 800km trek through the backcountry. I have a lot of autoX experience, but very little loose surface experience so it was something new. Our closest competition was an Austin Mini. We were faster. but unable to keep our timing accurate enough to beat them. The biggest thing for me to have learned is that I am content to run a FWD Stage Rally car. When pushing, it's still fun enough on loose surface, and I am much more likely to finish events with FWD over RWD. We also learned my Navigator is pretty calm under pressure..... and doesn't get car sick (this is important!). We placed fairly poorly, but really didn't know what we were doing so that's to be expected. We met our goals of having fun, learning, and not stuffing the car. Only thing that broke was a headlamp bulb (which has been in there for at least 7yrs).

Was a fun weekend, and I would suggest if you have the time and the tires to do a winter TSD Rally, give it a shot. Well worth the time in this case.

Some vids here. Just dashcam quality, and of course I lost the most fun footage but this should give a taste of what it's about. Note: The driver tends to swear a lot so mute if you have sensitive ears around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLdXk2Ipw6k

Cheers.
Attached Images

Last edited by CoryM; 07-23-2020 at 03:06 PM.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:21 AM   #2
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
That looks like a blast! I had a mini in my 20's just like the one parked in front of you, though white in color. If I recall, it was a 1970 model.

What would be really cool, would be to have a HUD displaying your speeds, engine params, g-forces etc. Torque pro and a windscreen HUD would accomplish that.

I did mute the sounds as my daughter and son (7 and 8 respectively) were here so not sure if you mentioned where the event took place. Beautiful scenery.

Looks like you had a barrel of fun.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:29 AM   #3
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Fun! Great photos.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:52 PM   #4
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
That looks like a blast! I had a mini in my 20's just like the one parked in front of you, though white in color. If I recall, it was a 1970 model.

What would be really cool, would be to have a HUD displaying your speeds, engine params, g-forces etc. Torque pro and a windscreen HUD would accomplish that.

I did mute the sounds as my daughter and son (7 and 8 respectively) were here so not sure if you mentioned where the event took place. Beautiful scenery.

Looks like you had a barrel of fun.

Minis are cool, although not great on the rough stuff with the tiny tires. You've seen "Project Binky" on Youtube?

There are three classes: Paper, Calculator, and Unlimited. In Unlimited they run screens that tell them exactly how far behind/ahead they are, and how far off the current average speed they are. It's really just keeping the dots in the crosshairs at that point. That being said, apparently last year there was a tie for first with zero points (meaning that every single timing check, on every stage clocked them as perfectly on time to a second). To put it in context, we had 1787points which is about 30min off pace (or around 1min average per checkpoint). Winner this year in Unlimited had 15points (average of less than 0.5sec per checkpoint). So yeah, the computers help a ton, but also some skill there.

Event was mostly in the Thompson-Okanagan area of BC.

Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:15 PM   #5
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
great pics and vids thanks for posting!
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:35 AM   #6
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
Minis are cool, although not great on the rough stuff with the tiny tires. You've seen "Project Binky" on Youtube?

There are three classes: Paper, Calculator, and Unlimited. In Unlimited they run screens that tell them exactly how far behind/ahead they are, and how far off the current average speed they are. It's really just keeping the dots in the crosshairs at that point. That being said, apparently last year there was a tie for first with zero points (meaning that every single timing check, on every stage clocked them as perfectly on time to a second). To put it in context, we had 1787points which is about 30min off pace (or around 1min average per checkpoint). Winner this year in Unlimited had 15points (average of less than 0.5sec per checkpoint). So yeah, the computers help a ton, but also some skill there.

Event was mostly in the Thompson-Okanagan area of BC.

Cheers.
Yeah, I remember the the wee 4 ply tires on my mini. Thank god they at least had a high wall to width ratio for some shock absorption. I had not seen Project Blinky but am going to watch the series. Thanks for that.

Thanks for the explanation on the classes.

With regard to the hud, I guess I was mainly thinking about how it would be interesting moreso for a person watching a video as opposed to the driver. I expect that you (the driver) already have your hands full and don't need distractions.

I wondered if that was BC.

Great post!

EDIT: Just started watching Project Binky. Early in video one there's a front on shot of the mini with rust around one of the headlights. It immediately brought back memories. The rad is positioned perpendicular to 'normal' car rads and basically shoved into the quarter panel, causing hot air and moisture to rot at the seam below the headligh bowl. Here we go, this whole thing is going to bring back memories. Haha.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 02-19-2018 at 08:07 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:12 AM   #7
06YarisRS

I have watched 5 episodes already. This is truly an amazing build!!!

Old 02-19-2018, 01:47 PM   #8
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Super cool. Sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:39 AM   #9
hichamaziz
Banned

Drives: my car is the best
great pics
hichamaziz is offline   Reply With Quote