Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #1
mdyarisguy
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris
Cut Power Steering Wiring - Repair or Replace?

Hey Gang,

I've done my best to search existing threads for this issue, so apologize if I missed something.

Here's the deal:

Some dumbass tried to steal my Yaris (no ignition disabler), and cut every wire they could get their hands on. Needless to say they did not succeed and left the ignition wires, ignition lock wires and power steering wires in dissaray.

To get to the dealership I hot-wired my own car (thanks forum wiring diagram users for auto-start). I also tried a meek power steering wire tape-up to get it to the dealer. Very thin wires and no slack, so didn't succeed, but drove it without P/S (I used to have a '68 Dodge Dart, so am used to without it).

HERE IS THE QUESTION:

The shop did a tape fix job on the wires, and now the P/S is working, but I'm not thrilled that it's a tape-up, since I'd rather not have my P/S cut out on me 3+ years into the future due to corrosion. My thoughts - either a proper heat-shrinkable repair to restore insulation integrity, or a fresh set of wires. Since this is an insurance repair, I'd rather do it right.

Am I right in this thinking or being a Chicken Little and worrying too much about it?

Thanks,

Dave
mdyarisguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyarisguy View Post
Hey Gang,

I've done my best to search existing threads for this issue, so apologize if I missed something.

Here's the deal:

Some dumbass tried to steal my Yaris (no ignition disabler), and cut every wire they could get their hands on. Needless to say they did not succeed and left the ignition wires, ignition lock wires and power steering wires in dissaray.

To get to the dealership I hot-wired my own car (thanks forum wiring diagram users for auto-start). I also tried a meek power steering wire tape-up to get it to the dealer. Very thin wires and no slack, so didn't succeed, but drove it without P/S (I used to have a '68 Dodge Dart, so am used to without it).

HERE IS THE QUESTION:

The shop did a tape fix job on the wires, and now the P/S is working, but I'm not thrilled that it's a tape-up, since I'd rather not have my P/S cut out on me 3+ years into the future due to corrosion. My thoughts - either a proper heat-shrinkable repair to restore insulation integrity, or a fresh set of wires. Since this is an insurance repair, I'd rather do it right.

Am I right in this thinking or being a Chicken Little and worrying too much about it?

Thanks,

Dave
Repair is possible, but with how banjo-string tight some wires are, you may have to add a piece. A complete dash harness can be picked up from a junkyard for typically under $200.