Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-18-2016, 07:54 PM   #1
Eforno

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2014 LE
Lower Knee Panel Removal

I've tried and tried but I just can pry this panel off. I can remove the air flow panel on the top with no problem, just by pulling it off. I glared inside and I can see that the only things holding this panel in are several taps similar to the air flow panel I pulled off. Help please!
Eforno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:14 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Here is what the service manual shows:

2014 lower panel.jpg
Old 01-18-2016, 08:33 PM   #3
Eforno

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Here is what the service manual shows:

Attachment 56427
Oh CTScott, what will we all do without your guidance.

How would you recommend going at the two clips in the two circles? Should I just start by pulling away the bottom and then work my way up without the use of any prying tools, or is there a method?

Old 01-18-2016, 08:45 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eforno View Post
Oh CTScott, what will we all do without your guidance.

How would you recommend going at the two clips in the two circles? Should I just start by pulling away the bottom and then work my way up without the use of any prying tools, or is there a method?

I think those are the easy one. The triangle ones are the really tight ones, where you may need some serious prying force to pop them.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:42 PM   #5
Eforno

If what I saw was correct, the triangles should consist of the same yellow tabs as the ones on the stereo and overhead trims. I'll give them a good yank and some prying tomorrow and see how it goes. (〜 ̄▽ ̄)〜
Old 01-18-2016, 11:46 PM   #6
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
I removed this panel simply by pulling it straight out. Put your fingers in the recess, grip below that with your thumb and PULL HARD up towards you. Pull in the same angle that the shelf in the recess slopes at. (Hope that makes sense). It requires some effort, just when you think you are about to break something and should stop is when it will pop out.
NYC-SE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:46 PM   #7
Eforno

I followed CTScott and NYC-SE's advice and was able to pull the lower knee panel off. Here is the method that worked for me; however, I am sure there is a better method, and most likely safer too.

Be careful here. Do not pull forward excessively, because I did so initially and the lower portion cracked. What you're going for here is full fingers support on the backside of the panel. Only then should you pull forward; if necessary.

I hope this helps; for anyone who may need to remove this panel in the future.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:42 PM   #8
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Glad you got it off. Just curious what are you doing back there? (I took mine off to get to body ECU and wire up mirror turn signals).
NYC-SE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:28 AM   #9
Eforno

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
Glad you got it off. Just curious what are you doing back there? (I took mine off to get to body ECU and wire up mirror turn signals).
I'm planning to install a set of fog lights sometime soon, so I just went ahead to see if I can take the knee panel and the steering wheel column off. I guess you can say that I was just too curious.

Tags
lower knee panel, panel removal, trim panel removal