Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-14-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
HELP needed for carputer project: Powered USB hub install

My plan is to setup a carputer setup in my yaris using my netbook, although the netbook won't be a permanent install, more something I can hook up when I want, and remove it when I want. So some of it will be removable, while other parts of the install are going to be permanent.

What I would like some input on is doing a permanent install of at least a 7 port powered USB hub, you know one I can actually use as a USB hub for the netbook, while providing its own power for the devices as some of the devices will be too much for the netbook. I know USB hubs usually run at 5v, and I would like to setup something NOT using an inverter and power brick that runs off of the cars 12v system, and shuts off when the car isn't on (like how the 12v aux works). I would like this to be permanent so I can also use the hub w/o the netbook being hooked up so I can charge things like my phones and bluetooth speaker. Some items that will be for the netbook I'd like to leave in will be a bluetooth adapter possibly and a GPS receiver. It would also be nice as I would have the potential to run more USB devices like a printer, external 2.5" hard drive, and my external DVD drive.

I'm pretty good with the computer aspect and installing everything, what I need help with is something that I can do so I can run the 5v device off of the 12v power. I feel this should be able to be done pretty cheap, and industrial solutions are too much (anywhere from $50-$100). Can I do this cheaply by say just visiting radio shack and getting some resistors and fuses? I've wired up other stuff just fine but have kept it at 12v, this is the first time I've messed with the voltage and really would like to NOT fry my computer stuff or car. When I get the info I need I will start the build and install process, documenting everything I need.

This is what I'm going to be using that I have:
Acer Aspire One AOD250 1.6ghz Netbook running Windows 7 Pro, 10.1" LED LCD, 2gb RAM, 500gb Seagate Momentus XT hybrid 7200rpm hard drive, MSI bluetooth USB adapter (free, why I'm using that one)
External USB 2.5" SATA aluminum hard drive enclosure with a 320gb 5400rpm drive
External USB DVD multi burner
Power Inverter

Need:
Powered USB hub like this or this.
USB GPS receiver like this
DIY custom mount for the netbook, and install of USB hub
Small monochrome laser printer with USB, wifi, or bluetooth

Future possibility: With tethering on the netbook and the blackberry I'm going to do mobile internet, and also might install a access point in the car so me and passengers can have easy access to the internet, plus give me the ability to use the printer via wifi.

I'm open for suggestions for the GPS, right now I have a nice and free app on my blackberry, but it would be nice to get more features from the netbook, and it would be nice for logging trips, jobs, etc. Also if any other suggestions for hardware I'm open (except for the netbook, as I see zero need to change that).

I'm really excited about doing this, although don't have all the funds this moment, but should by the time I get all the info together. Can't wait to post the project up.

Last edited by Astroman; 10-14-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote