Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-18-2009, 03:38 PM   #1
AlainMikli

Drives: ings 09 Yaris 3 Door LiftBack
DIY aftermarket steering, hub, quick release install

Hey guys, I just install my personal steering wheel, Works Bell short hub and quick release yesterday. Since I can't really find a good write up for them, here I will show all the detail of my installation.
Car:
MY09 LB
Parts:
Personal Steering wheel, Works Bell hub and quick release
Tools needed:
3/8 ratchet, long extension, 1/4 Torx T30, 3/8 to 1/4 adaptor for T30(see pic), 19mm long socket, Philip screw drive

Please read carefully for all detail, and of course I'm NOT responsible for any damage or warranty related issue, if you try to attempt this installation. Do it at YOUR OWN RISK!

Ok, let start taking the negative terminal off first to avoid the airbag deloy during installation. Look at the stock steering wheel, their is two T30 torx screw on the side to take off the airbag, you can't take the screw out, but just turn them all the way loose. Then you wiggle the airbag a bit, it will come loose. You will see there is two plugs attach to the airbag, use a small flat head to pry the yellow tap up to disconnect them(see pic)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC09764.jpg (190.4 KB, 595 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09765.jpg (120.6 KB, 578 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09766.jpg (162.6 KB, 579 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09768.jpg (144.4 KB, 579 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09771.jpg (86.2 KB, 570 views)
REAL JDM ings+1 Full Body Kit…REAL JDM C-One Spoiler…Retrofit Projector Headlight…Kiddo 6-pots BBK…CE 28N J-Time Attack…Bride Ergo II Racing Seat…Personal Steering Wheel…Work Bell Quick Release…Dealer Option Sun Roof…JDM RS LED Side Mirror…JDM RS Taillight…C-One Oil Cap…C-One Radiator Cap…TRD Iridium Racing Spark Plug…Tom's Fuel Map Controller…Blitz throttle controller…GReddy Informeter Touch…MR Suspension…TRD Rear Sway Bar…MR C-Pillar Bar…GTspec Front Strut Bar & Rear Strut Bar…AFE Intake…WR Header…Nitto Mid-Pipe…Greddy Ti-C axleback…Goodridge SS Brake Line…
To do: Supercharger…

Last edited by AlainMikli; 07-18-2009 at 04:14 PM.
AlainMikli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:39 PM   #2
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
looks good! a couple quick pulls/wiggles of the wheel will remove it without need for a steering wheel puller
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:46 PM   #3
AlainMikli

Once you disconnect both plugs, make sure you straight the wheel perfectly, I put a piece of tape there align with the stock steering. You got the wheel straight, cool! Use the 19mm socket to take the shaft nut off, not much force, just a bit, you will get it. I even take the top and bottom cover off to show more detail of the column.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC09769.jpg (139.6 KB, 574 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09770.jpg (94.0 KB, 571 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09776.jpg (141.7 KB, 571 views)
REAL JDM ings+1 Full Body Kit…REAL JDM C-One Spoiler…Retrofit Projector Headlight…Kiddo 6-pots BBK…CE 28N J-Time Attack…Bride Ergo II Racing Seat…Personal Steering Wheel…Work Bell Quick Release…Dealer Option Sun Roof…JDM RS LED Side Mirror…JDM RS Taillight…C-One Oil Cap…C-One Radiator Cap…TRD Iridium Racing Spark Plug…Tom's Fuel Map Controller…Blitz throttle controller…GReddy Informeter Touch…MR Suspension…TRD Rear Sway Bar…MR C-Pillar Bar…GTspec Front Strut Bar & Rear Strut Bar…AFE Intake…WR Header…Nitto Mid-Pipe…Greddy Ti-C axleback…Goodridge SS Brake Line…
Old 07-18-2009, 03:52 PM   #4
AlainMikli

The above pic, you see the black round thing is your clock spring, make sure you tape it like I did to avoid it spins, it will NOT spins freely, ONLY 2.5 turn to right and left, so basicly is about 5 turns lock to lock. If you pay attention to the clock spring, you will see the arrow point another one at the bottom(see pic). If you accidentally turn the clock spring around, no worry, just turn it all the way to left or right, then 2.5 turn back and face the arrow again, you will have the clock spring centered again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC09773.jpg (126.5 KB, 572 views)
Old 07-18-2009, 04:03 PM   #5
AlainMikli

Ok, here is the Works Bell hub and release install:

I put out the hub cover(black boot thing) to show better angle of it, you will notice there is two pins on the hub itself, they are for turning your clock spring when it sits on it. Turning clock spring? Why? You see two taps inside the clock spring(see pic), they are for the stock wheel to sit on to turn them, in the case, you will have the signal cancel function. WB hub can also do that by adding two pins on the it to turn the clock spring(see pic), but what happen is the two pins on the WB hub are right in the center, you will have to off set the clock spring a bit to align it(see pic), notice the big plug on the top of the spring is touching the hub on one side and not the other, that how much you have to offset the spring to fit which is that little. By doing this you will still have the wheel and car straight at the end, because you didn't turn the shaft at all, you are just turning the spring a bit to fit the hub, so no worry about car being not straight at the end, it will. For the stock wheel, you don't have to do this cuz it has two female slots for those tap on the spring if you try to return to stock after this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC09777.jpg (156.8 KB, 565 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09778.jpg (131.4 KB, 568 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09780.jpg (112.6 KB, 562 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09779.jpg (108.7 KB, 566 views)

Last edited by AlainMikli; 07-18-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:09 PM   #6
AlainMikli

See the pic above, I put the stock harness through the hole of the hub for the release in the next step. Yes!!!!!! There is a hole on the hub for the harness to go through. I'm not gonna talk much about the how to connect the release and hub because there is a instruction in the box if you are buying this type of hub and release, just show pics, haha. One thing you have to make sure there is two WB called "Earth ring" in the box. There is for the horn/ground connection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC09781.jpg (139.8 KB, 566 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09783.jpg (133.8 KB, 553 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09784.jpg (126.2 KB, 556 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09785.jpg (123.3 KB, 553 views)
Old 07-18-2009, 04:12 PM   #7
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
looks great!
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 04:13 PM   #8
AlainMikli

Once you get to this point, you are pretty much done. All it has left is the release ring on the wheel, horn button which anybody can do and I'm not gonna waste your time on this. Poke it back to the release hub to see if you have your horn. If so, you are done. If not, just go back to the hub part to check the connection. Enjoy your new wheel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC09786.jpg (159.7 KB, 555 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09789.jpg (136.4 KB, 550 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09790.jpg (109.0 KB, 551 views)
Old 07-18-2009, 09:45 PM   #9
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
Very nice, I will bookmark this when i get to this mod in the future~~ but too complicated and scary to do myself... >_< I give you props :)
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:50 PM   #10
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
that looks awesome. i'd do it if i werent worried about having my face cave in after an accident. i know the moment i take it out i'd get into the my first accident ever lol
Old 07-18-2009, 09:54 PM   #11
Malaya1221
super duper M*******TOR

Drives: 2007 jahPANIS egg(Sarao Phil)
i like...how easy to remove those quick release?...mine needs a bit of hard pull while holding/pulling the quick release...thinking of buying a worksbell or nrg!
Malaya1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:43 AM   #12
AlainMikli

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyGiant View Post
that looks awesome. i'd do it if i werent worried about having my face cave in after an accident. i know the moment i take it out i'd get into the my first accident ever lol
dont over speed
Old 07-19-2009, 12:44 AM   #13
AlainMikli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaya1221 View Post
i like...how easy to remove those quick release?...mine needs a bit of hard pull while holding/pulling the quick release...thinking of buying a worksbell or nrg!
very easy when you get use to it now it only takes me 2 seconds
Old 07-19-2009, 12:52 AM   #14
Malaya1221
super duper M*******TOR

Drives: 2007 jahPANIS egg(Sarao Phil)
ty...let me know when you guys r down here again...we could play some poker!
Malaya1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:13 PM   #15
AlainMikli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
Very nice, I will bookmark this when i get to this mod in the future~~ but too complicated and scary to do myself... >_< I give you props :)
If you are in San Francisco or Daly City somehow, I can perform the install for you for a small fee.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:14 PM   #16
AlainMikli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaya1221 View Post
ty...let me know when you guys r down here again...we could play some poker!
Cool, we come down often cuz the girls love to come down to eat and shop.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:31 PM   #17
fuji

Drives: Polar White Yaris HB
I know that the steering wheel is a big problem for lots of people. IS there a way to use the Work bell hub to extend the distance of the stock steering wheel?
fuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:01 PM   #18
AlainMikli

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji View Post
I know that the steering wheel is a big problem for lots of people. IS there a way to use the Work bell hub to extend the distance of the stock steering wheel?
I don't think so, the hub is made for some racing steering wheel...